The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I get home tonight and buddy has dropped off his amp that he wants me to try out for him. No Problem, it's a Carr Rambler. I take a look at this thing and i'm again impressed with simplicity. Straight amp nothing else, except reverb and tremolo. 15 " Eminence Speaker, 14/28 watts output, pentode / triode modes, volume, bass, treble, mid, reverb, trem speed and trem depth.
So lets plug it in.... tried out the triode (14 watt ) mode and it is sweet. A real TUBE tone. This a high end amp and I'm going to give it a workout on thursday night. I normally use an Ampeg SJ-12R and have been very happy with it but this chance doesn't come along very often. I'll give a better review after thursday when I get to put it on stage. So far this amp likes pedals, my deja vibe sounds great with it.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Never had the pleasure of trying one. Please let us know your thoughts after the "workout".

Tarl

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea it's not like everyday you can shell out 2500 for an amp. Luck has fell upon me that buddy is leaving it with me for a few days. Haven't given it the live test but my at home evaluation is sweet. The tonal range is consistant, no drop offs no flabby bottoms. The tube tone is ultimate, it just punches at you. It likes boosters altho the sound straight is so nice you don't really want to use them. As far as construction it is buit like a brick shithouse.... Looking forward to the live test. I'll fill you in.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I gave it a work out tonight, and it took everything I had and them some. Unbelieveably sweet, didn't hardly use any pedals other than my vibe and it loved it. No flappy bottoms, all ranges represented equally and a beautiful tube compression characteristic that just makes you want to keep on playing. It cut well in the club, i used it in the pentode (28W) mode and played it at about half volume. This amp responds better to your playing dynamics than any I have tried. Played my strat through it with the fralin blues specials pups in it and when we did any blues it was straight guitar. I don't know about the price tag I think there around the 2500 mark new but you would only spend your money once. If only I had that floating around.
On another note I decided to splurge on a Diamond J Drive TR today help take care of some of the gas....:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts