The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Where do you stand on Radiohead?

• Love it! Love it all! Every pop, hiss, loop, and burp!

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Just the hits, please, but I still need to be in the mood

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Take it or leave it.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I don't "get it"

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Who??

Votes: 2 10.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was listening to the Ongoing History of New Music (podcast) on Radiohead. It's a 3 parter. I love musical history, so I'll listen to any or all episodes of the show, but this one was intriguing because of Radiohead's immense following, and devoted fans. Which, after hearing all three parts, I decided, I am not. But I do like a lot of their stuff. I have OK Computer, and the Best of EMI released after their contract requirements were up. I will most likely get Pablo Honey, and The Bends on vinyl at some point too. I already have digital copies of those, but I'd like the tactile version.

So, where do you fit in?? I am clearly in "Just the hits, please". And I really do need to be in the mood.

If I haven't covered all bases in the poll options, let me know, and add your thoughts to thread too.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I'm not a "fan" or follower or anything, but I really like most things post OK. I was listening/aware since Pablo, but the later records moved them beyond a "way, way better Oasis" (don't like) and into something all their own. I think there is lot more art to their later records, and not just in a "let's add more guitar effects" kind of way. I'm not a huge electronic music fan, but Radiohead does that extremely well and has their own sound. The music I like best by the band also tends to make me a bit depressive, so I don't listen too often.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I lost interest with that Rainbows one and haven’t heard anything they have done since. Still love Bends and OK Computer.
Yep, those two albums. I like "The Bends" more, particularly the songs "High and Dry" and the one that goes "You do it to yourself, you do" in the chorus.

Haven't listened those CDs for a while. Those are the only ones I had bought.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Yep, those two albums. I like "The Bends" more, particularly the songs "High and Dry" and the one that goes "You do it to yourself, you do" in the chorus.

Haven't listened those CDs for a while. Those are the only ones I had bought.
That song is called "Just" and is one of my favourite videos.
I'm one who really likes the songs I like from them but have a hard time getting into their whole catalog.

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
I was listening to the Ongoing History of New Music (podcast) on Radiohead. It's a 3 parter. I love musical history, so I'll listen to any or all episodes of the show, but this one was intriguing because of Radiohead's immense following, and devoted fans. Which, after hearing all three parts, I decided, I am not. But I do like a lot of their stuff. I have OK Computer, and the Best of EMI released after their contract requirements were up. I will most likely get Pablo Honey, and The Bends on vinyl at some point too. I already have digital copies of those, but I'd like the tactile version.

So, where do you fit in?? I am clearly in "Just the hits, please". And I really do need to be in the mood.

If I haven't covered all bases in the poll options, let me know, and add your thoughts to thread too.
Our band just started playing High and Dry. Pretty neat tune and pretty easy to play.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I'm with what some others said above. Big on the 1st two records, didn't care as much for OK Computer and lost interest.
I think I got some hearing damage from the 2001 show. I've never felt that much bass to the chest. Brutal.
Ironically, High and Dry was the song Thom Yorke talked about detesting, even though for many (here and elsewhere), it's a favourite.

·
Registered
113 Posts
“Love Me Do” and “I Wanna Hold Your Hand” are great songs, but The Beatles totally lost me by Revolver.

Reactions: ga20t

·
Registered
10,495 Posts
I liked The Bends and Ok Computer, but the albums that followed were just too different so I stopped paying attention.

I need to sit down their later albums and see if I can get into them, but that's yet to happen.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It seems most comments boil down to how I feel about them. I like this song, that song, this LP is good, etc...

I don't know any other band's catalog, in where the songs I like, I love! For example, I can't get enough of Street Spirit, but Bloom makes me scratch my head. There are no in-betweens... at least for me.

For the most part, the songs I like are from the EMI era. 1993-2003. Hail to the Thief was the last one under that contract, and In Rainbows (2007) was their first independent release. From what I've heard of this "new era", I don't like. I take nothing from their musical ability, I just don't find it "listenable".

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Creep & High And Dry are the only songs by them I know - but I really like those tunes.

Creep initially hit my radar when Govt Mule covered it.

·
Premium Member
16,816 Posts
Every time I hear Creep, I feel like giving Thom Yorke a hug.

He really puts it out there, heart on his sleeve et cetera.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Heard so much about the band I bought “OK Computer”. Couldn’t get through the whiney emo bullshit.

·
Registered
11,682 Posts
OK Computer and Kid A were my favourite albums, bought the vinyl when it was still tough to find. I also like some of the hits or odd picks from other albums. I guess the middle of Radiohead would be my choice.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts