The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for an ABY pedal but I get confused as to which pedal would best suit my needs.
I plan on using 2 different amps so I can switch between them on the fly and/or 2 different guitars.
Help would be appreciated!

P

·
0 Posts
The Twin City is buffered and the Bigshot is passive.

Radial - Bones Twin-City ABY Amp Switcher

The Twin-City is an active ABY switcher and buffer that enables you to connect any two amps and drive them simultaneously without noise, loss of gain and without degrading your natural guitar tone. This is accomplished with Radial's highly acclaimed buffering technology and the same Drag Control (TM) load correction circuitry as used in the award-winning Radial JD7 Injector.

The set-and-forget Drag Control lets you compensate for cable signal loss and introduce the perfect amount of loading to replicate the way your guitar and amp interact.

Radial - BigShot ABY Amp Switcher

Designed for the purist, this true-bypass ABY switcher is completely passive meaning that there are no tone altering buffers in between the guitar and the amplifier. With the BigShot ABY, you get the pure tone from your guitar plugged direct into your amp! To add versatility, the BigShot ABY is also equipped with a separate tuner out. This 'always on' output feeds your tuner for constant monitoring while keeping it out of the signal chain. Should you experience hum and buzz problems due to ground loops, the BigShot ABY comes to the rescue with a built-in isolation transformer and ground lift switch. Once engaged, you can toggle the polarity of the second amplifier to ensure both amps play in absolute phase.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, Twin City has a Buffer and Bigshot does not...
I just want to play 2 amps and 2 guitars safely without worry about possible damage etc....
In layman terms what is necessary and what is gravy with added features such as tuner etc...

·
Premium Member
4,190 Posts
I have the less expensive Bigshot and I've been using it to connect 2 amps or use it with my Beatbuddy connected to the PA and DAW.

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
For years I plugged two basses into an A/B and plugged it into the Radial Bigshot, used the tuner out, and often needed the ground lift in one particular dive bar. Passive and built like the proverbial tank it never failed.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps my understanding of buffers are incorrect but I thought they are needed when using long cables (+40ft).
In my situation, I use a 20ft instrument cable plus 3-4 pedals, so. in total factoring in my effects loop cables is approx 30ft...
I dont want this thread heading in the wrong direction concerning buffers and cable lengths but the difference between the Twin City vs Bigshot.
Which pedal is best for my purposes?

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
If you can afford the nicer one just get that. Takes the guesswork out of it.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I went with the Headbone VT. Instant multi channel amp/ AB tester. Having said that it's still sitting in the box :D

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Maybe the newest one is different, but I know with some of the older Bigshot ABY pedals they are so passive that there is no power connection at all, thus no LED to tell you whether you have selected A, B, or Y. So if the visual feedback is a concern, make sure you have got some LEDs.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Using an ABY can be like sex with a condom -- still fun, but something missing.

I like the Bigshots, because I use TWO. One for each guitar.

This allows me bypass the "condom" syndrome completely for my favourite rig set-up: guitar, then cord, then amp. (Each of my guitars is matched to the best amp for that guitar.)

With an Bigshot ABY attached TO the chain, not IN the chain, I can send the transformer isolated signal elsewhere.

Where?

To a Carl Martin Route Box. With that, I can have both guitars going through my effects units and into two other amps. For all the fakey stuff.

So, I have two guitars each with a choice of three amps, with or without effects. By presetting carefully, I can launch into a completely different set-up with a single click of the Carl Martin. The Bigshots are strictly set&forget for me.

I realize this is way more gear than you are talking about, but I thought I would just insert my two cents here for what its worth.

If you are on a budget and not to fussy? Consider the Carl Martin Route Box alone. Both guitars into either amp with shared effects. That's how I started, but I missed the appeal of guitar-straight-into-amp. Thats what I use the Bigshots for. Radial might make similar boxes with transformer-isolated take-off and no switching at all, I don't know...

·
Premium Member
11,859 Posts
Both will do exactly what you want. Depends on if you want the extras that come with the Twin City - indicator lights and buffer. Chances are you already have a buffer on your board (any pedal that isn't true bypass, like a Boss-anything).

I looked at the Twin City but it won't run on batteries - it needs a power supply. I wanted something for simple setups so I went with the Bigshot. No batteried or power supply required. It weighs more than most of my other active pedals because of the xformer inside. As was mentioned, built like a brick sh!thouse. Indestructable. But it does everything you need to combine or switch between two amps (ground lift, phase switch).

The lights might be nice if you are switching between two quite similar amp sounds, but if you are going from clean to dirty (which I use mine for), I find the lights unnecessary, at least after the first power chord.

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
Both will do exactly what you want. Depends on if you want the extras that come with the Twin City - indicator lights and buffer. Chances are you already have a buffer on your board (any pedal that isn't true bypass, like a Boss-anything).

I looked at the Twin City but it won't run on batteries - it needs a power supply. I wanted something for simple setups so I went with the Bigshot. No batteried or power supply required. It weighs more than most of my other active pedals because of the xformer inside. As was mentioned, built like a brick sh!thouse. Indestructable. But it does everything you need to combine or switch between two amps (ground lift, phase switch).

The lights might be nice if you are switching between two quite similar amp sounds, but if you are going from clean to dirty (which I use mine for), I find the lights unnecessary, at least after the first power chord.
You'd think that if doesn't have lights, there'd be a mechanical way to show the switch position.

P

·
0 Posts

It has lights:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts