The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions on one vs the other? Obviously both have P90s. Maple cap vs solid mahogany, 2 pickup vs 1, tunamatic vs wraptail.

I quite like the CS Junior 57 I have (the Tramp that has gone thru more than a handful of us) but I'm curious about an R6.

The Junior is very raunchy and I've read that the R6s are a little more subdued and brighter due to the maple cap (I have no first hand experience with this ---that's based on Internet opinions I've read).

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
An R6 is something I’d be innarested in for sure. Had a real 56 GT on loan for a few weeks back in the 80s to see if I wanted to buy it for a grand; great guitar but I didn’t have the cash. I’ll just step outside now and shoot myself in the head.

Right now I have a 2015 jr and a 2018 jr. Both great guitars but I go back to my tele quite a bit for its sound.

Played my friends 70s GT with the small humbuckers and went back to my LPJ after a few minutes just wasn’t doing it.

P90s are the rig and I think the R6 would be a good way to go and worth checking out.

·
Premium Member
13,025 Posts
Two different animals. Even a LP Special and Junior have their differences.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moot point now as the R6 is gone from Kijiji. It was listed Sat eve and this morn it's gone. Snooze....lose.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
My ‘73 GT Deluxe is about to get P90’s. And I have a Junior too. Once the 90’s are in the Deluxe I’ll let you know the differences. Not an R6 but it’s (Norlin) close!

·
Premium Member
'59 LP Junior & Danocaster T
863 Posts
Or just go here:
If I was going to buy another Les Paul, it would be one of these. I've had lots of Jrs; they do their own thing very well and I enjoy them a lot for rock n' roll and blues. An R6 is also very cool, but at least for my own preferences, I'd either go R4 Custom (as above) or R4 goldtop with wraptail.

W.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
If I was going to buy another Les Paul, it would be one of these. I've had lots of Jrs; they do their own thing very well and I enjoy them a lot for rock n' roll and blues. An R6 is also very cool, but at least for my own preferences, I'd either go R4 Custom (as above) or R4 goldtop with wraptail.

W.
Me too actually. Something about Customs with P90’s

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Just got the Vineham Bluesdog P90’s into my GT Deluxe. They sound fantastic, but it’s hard to A/B them against the junior as they are both different pickups. The Jr has a DiMarzio P90. It’s hotter and crunches more than the Bluesdogs, The the BD’s sound more vintage and there’s more individual string clarity. Both are great, but I’m digging the two pickup Deluxe more right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts