The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In London, UK for the day. They have this for approx $750.00 CDN. Should I buy it? Plays nice, seems like it’s about half the going price.

80838FE7-6184-4377-B1F5-74AD67250759.jpeg

·
Registered
24,371 Posts
Is it worth $750Cdn to YOU? That's what matters.

Say "Hi" to Her Majesty for me. She's a pretty nice girl, though she doesn't have a lot to say. Some day I'm gonna make her mine.

BTW, you have seen the TPS/Reverb video on guitar shops in London, right?

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well yes but in the event I have to sell it, would like to know I can recoup my investment. I don’t NEED another guitar.

·
Premium Member
17,328 Posts
Well yes but in the event I have to sell it, would like to know I can recoup my investment.
I hate to rain on your parade, but I'm going to bet on "doubtful to likely not" regarding resale on this side of the Atlantic. That is a total guess on my part.

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don’t think it would work anyway. I have no real way to get it back except to hope they’d let me carry it on.

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it worth $750Cdn to YOU? That's what matters.

Say "Hi" to Her Majesty for me. She's a pretty nice girl, though she doesn't have a lot to say. Some day I'm gonna make her mine.

BTW, you have seen the TPS/Reverb video on guitar shops in London, right?

Yup, I’m here right now. Sitting across from Hank’s.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
How much extra will it cost you to take it on the plane? How much hassle will it be? Does it come with a case? I once found a great guitar while at a conference in Halifax. I live on the other coast. It turned out the hassle and expense of getting it across Canada was not worth it. From the UK it may be even more hassle.

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gigbag. Which means if they don’t let me take it on the plane, I’d might as well leave it in the airport. Could buy a hard case but still iffy. Think I’m going to leave it here.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
In London, UK for the day. They have this for approx $750.00 CDN. Should I buy it? Plays nice, seems like it’s about half the going price.
Can you get away without paying the UK's VAT? If so, that would put it closer to the $600 range, which I think you'd be able to recoup if you wanted to sell it back home. A gig bag really doesn't take up a lot of room in the overhead bins, so some airlines might let you carry it on, or at worst, gate check it. If you can pick an emergency exit row seat, you should be able to get on the plane first and then have first crack at the overhead bins. Worked for me taking a semi-hollow home as a carry on. :)

Info on getting back the VAT in the UK:
Tax on shopping and services

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can you get away without paying the UK's VAT? If so, that would put it closer to the $600 range, which I think you'd be able to recoup if you wanted to sell it back home. A gig bag really doesn't take up a lot of room in the overhead bins, so some airlines might let you carry it on, or at worst, gate check it. If you can pick an emergency exit row seat, you should be able to get on the plane first and then have first crack at the overhead bins. Worked for me taking a semi-hollow home as a carry on. :)

Info on getting back the VAT in the UK:
Tax on shopping and services
Yup the price included VAT which they’d take off. I left it behind. Too much of a hassle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts