The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just looking for a brief answer to a question regarding valuation on these. I've been offered one in trade (early- '00s so ~ 15 yrs old) and can't find any on kijiji for comparison. I also don't really follow pricing on post-90's Gibsons so am looking for help, as I'd plan to simply re-sell it. It's in good shape for the age and comes with OHSC (brown/pink). I assume there's some kind of demand for the model....

Anyway, looking for approximate real world pricing, not top dollar nor the lowest price ever seen...which some folks seem to use as the standard. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
'59 LP Junior & Danocaster T
1,112 Posts
I thought the '61 SGs were worth a little bit more than a comparable Standard. East Coast pricing is a bit lower than Ontario (generally) so considering that, my thoughts are that if a Standard is worth between $800-1000, a '61 RI would probably be worth $1100-$1400 since they are a slightly higher end model.

W.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
There are a couple that have been on Kijiji Montreal for a long long time at 1400$. I would say start at 1200$ and see how it goes from there.
I am actually in the market for one, but I am hoping to find one for around 1000$.

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
Keep in mind that the 2013 SG Standards were the exact same as the '61 Reissues except that they had the normal sized headstock (the headstock on the '61 is larger). When the '13 Standards came out the value of the '61s went down. Some sellers still expected a premium, but they weren't being realistic. A lot of people who had paid a higher price for their '61s got burned when Gibson released those '13s.

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
There are a couple that have been on Kijiji Montreal for a long long time at 1400$. I would say start at 1200$ and see how it goes from there.
I am actually in the market for one, but I am hoping to find one for around 1000$.

I was thinking around $1200 but really had no other reference point. I don't know, perhaps they do come up for $1K on occasion...

Keep in mind that the 2013 SG Standards were the exact same as the '61 Reissues except that they had the normal sized headstock (the headstock on the '61 is larger). When the '13 Standards came out the value of the '61s went down. Some sellers still expected a premium, but they weren't being realistic. A lot of people who had paid a higher price for their '61s got burned when Gibson released those '13s.

Good point on the '13 & later Standards. They're very close in spec from what I understand, though I believe the neck carve on the '61 is somewhat meatier...

Thick as a brick. I never even thought to check Reverb! Based on what others are saying here, I might be better off selling stateside:

Gibson '61 Reissue SG 2002 Cherry Price Guide

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yeah, have to factor in ~$100 loss in fees to sell on Reverb/feebay as well. Still, with the recent average on Reverb.being right around $1500, it's harder to justify selling it here in Canuckistan...

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I own one and bought it for the lowest price ever @ $800. If it's in pretty good shape then you'd reasonably get $1200-$1400 I would think. I'd pay around that.

Hey @garrettdavis275 : Was that a gloss Cherry model (most desirable) with OHSC, or one of the "worn" finish models?

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Hey @garrettdavis275 : Was that a gloss Cherry model (most desirable) with OHSC, or one of the "worn" finish models?
Mine is from the limited run of gloss yellow (kinda fugly but cool) they did for Canada a few years back. I was assuming yours was Cherry. The 61's get a good cherry finish. The standards always seem to veer into orange territory.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
There was a newer yellow 61 on kijiji Toronto earlier this year that took a while to sell. I think he started at $1,800 and slowly kept dropping to $1,100. Not sure if it sold or he just kept it.

I agree about new Standards devaluing 61s. They are worth about a grand now, in my opinion. L&M has new Standards for $1,300 right now. Why anyone would pay anywhere near that for a used 61?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
I didn't know the new SG standards were basically a 61 RI. Can anyone tell me if the new standards have a chunkier neck or slim? I know that generally SG's are known for slim necks but I've run in to a couple that were fairly big.

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
There was a newer yellow 61 on kijiji Toronto earlier this year that took a while to sell. I think he started at $1,800 and slowly kept dropping to $1,100. Not sure if it sold or he just kept it.

I agree about new Standards devaluing 61s. They are worth about a grand now, in my opinion. L&M has new Standards for $1,300 right now. Why anyone would pay anywhere near that for a used 61?
I don't think Americans are wise to this supposed devaluation vis-a-vis the post-'13 Standards. I should probably list it STAT...before they catch on!

Reactions: Tim Plains

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Living in Gan, it takes me about 15 mins to cross into the US. Ship center is another 5 mins away so not a big time investment for me ;^ )

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
1 - 17 of 17 Posts