The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an older Ibanez LP around 10 years ago from Retrotown Music here in Ottawa just as it was opening. It was the owner's guitar and he told me it was from right around 1970. Is there anyway to tell? There's no serial number on the bolt-on plate (which I think is a good sign?). I actually don't play the guitar much at all and am looking to sell it but want to provide the buyer with an honest description. Any ideas what it's worth (depnding of course on when it's from!)?

thanks!

Ben

PS - cool site!

·
Premium Member
5,169 Posts
There may be a serial if you take the neck off and look at the end of it. There could be some sort of dating on the pots that could help as well.

You can roughly date some of them just by the headstock shape. Do you have a photo?

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
I remember something like all Ibanez made before 1975 had no serial number, so its probobly from around 1973 or 1974............

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just figured out the headstock is the pre-lawsuit "mustache" style so that's another indication that it's older than 75.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
hoser said:
I'd try asking around the forum at
http://www.ibanezcollectors.com
...or not.

my brother and i had a beige ibanez that looked somewhat similar to les paul, purchased in 1963. you can see it in my avatar photo, if you blow it up. there also exists a picture of ringo starr holding one in a beatles photo.

no one at ibanez nor at the ibanez collectors site has ever been able to identify this instrument.

-dh

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
The early 60s is when Ibanez first attempted to export guitars to North America. They sort of trickled in for years in small quantities to any dealer who would put a few up for sale until about 1974 when they made a major push into our market and created an actual dealer network...............

1 - 9 of 9 Posts