The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to add a decent Les Paul to my collection but I'm wondering just what years are considered the "Good" years? My budget is about $2,500 so that definitely rules out the 50s, 60s and the Custom Shop. If possible I'd like to find a 70s, 80s or even 90s LP. Why? Because I like a guitar that comes with built-in mojo :)

I understand that there are dud guitars from every era, but if I'm buying long distance and can't try before I buy, are there some that I should avoid and some that I shouldn't hesitate to buy? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Yeah, its a tough one. Plus, there are not a lot out there from the 80's or 90's.
If you don't mind new, I have read up a lot on the subject, and there is some evidence out there that the newer Traditional's are some of the best Lesters ever made.

If I was in your situation, I would look for a LP classic from the early 90's. They are supposed to be very good copies of the '60LP. They sell for around 1500-2000$.

I'm with you, I like my guitars broken in already. I have had several newer LP's and they are great guitars, but have no character.

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
You may be able to "squeeze" in a Custom Shop at that price point. The 2012's have a stigma about them due to the laminate fretboard. I've owned two CS' from that year and they were excellent guitars. Gibson did a lot of tweaks to the CS LP's starting in 2009 and a guitar after that year should be decent at the least. You may be able to get great value in the years 2009-2012.

There was a lot of internet fodder about the quality of mahogany in 2007 but not sure how accurate that is.

If you can get seek out a good dealer rep. that will be a good start as well.

Good luck in your search

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
The 1960 Classic's are well liked. There are particular years that are preferred (90's). I'm pretty sure the 'best years' according to the internet are the years that they made the classic with the nicest looking inlays. Some are very greenish.

I have a 2012 Studio with a baked maple board. It's a great guitar, and that flies in the face of the rumours that 2012 is a bad year (due to their rosewood being confiscated). So knowing that, I would never be particular about what year an LP was made - with exception to 2015. And I only select against 2015 because I don't like the wide asymmetrical neck shape.

·
Premium Member
8,553 Posts
That one capn linked on Kijiji, the case alone is worth $$. If I were in the market, I'd go check it out.

I forget your neck profile preference G, but keep in mind the Classics have a thin front-to-back, and relatively narrow at the nut profile. Also watch out for weight, I had a GREAT sounding and playing Classic, but it was a boat anchor.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
There is also an XR-2 for sale in the Classifieds. I had one of those many years ago and its still one of the best guitars I have ever owned/played. Out of approx. 500 guitars I have owned, its probably in the top ten.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That one capn linked on Kijiji, the case alone is worth $$. If I were in the market, I'd go check it out.

I forget your neck profile preference G, but keep in mind the Classics have a thin front-to-back, and relatively narrow at the nut profile. Also watch out for weight, I had a GREAT sounding and playing Classic, but it was a boat anchor.
Tons of great info already. Thank you.

Keto, I looked into that one here on Edmonton Kijiji about a week and a half ago and I got a bad feeling about it so I bailed out. It could be perfectly legit but from my experience there were a couple of red flags in the exchange of messages.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Tons of great info already. Thank you.

Keto, I looked into that one here on Edmonton Kijiji about a week and a half ago and I got a bad feeling about it so I bailed out. It could be perfectly legit but the person responded to my message about it saying that someone was on their way to look at it but he'd hold it for me if I sent a deposit. Again, it could be legit, but from my experience it was a bit of a flag.
I just looked at the ad again, and I'm pretty sure its a scam. I have been seeing a lot of ads lately on Kijiji that are just a bit too good to be true. I just noticed, he joined in Aug 2017.
But you never know. I would try to call him and speak in person.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
If I was in your situation, I would look for a LP classic from the early 90's. They are supposed to be very good copies of the '60LP. They sell for around 1500-2000$.
I'll second that. I used to have a 91 all gold Classic and it was a great guitar. Only problem for me was the 60s neck....I just can't get comfortable playing them Soundwise, it was amazing

·
Premium Member
8,553 Posts
G, you edited your post and I'm not sure why, but I can see what was originally written, in capn's quote of your statement. 100% a scam, you never ever send a deposit on a kijiji transaction. Good call.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Basically for LP's, generally 70's are complete shite, and early 80s are pretty bad as well.
There are some good ones during those years but not many.

·
Registered
24,164 Posts
The back cover of the current issue of Vintage Guitar (which itself has a few articles about the LP) has an ad for Sam Ash with a dozen bursts of varyingcolour schemes shown. But beside each burst is the weight. They range from 8lbs/6.4oz to 9lbs/1.5oz., with many in between those extremes.

There is variation in Les Pauls, even beyond the specific years. Find one with a weight, tone, appearance, and price you like, and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
8,464 Posts
I'm not that knowledgeable in this department, due to memory.

However, I have a mental sticky that reminds me 1994 and 2004 we're the best playing years for me. I've played countless lps on my searches with a fairly good budget, and those years still outperformed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
I'd look for an Japanese Orville or Burny, you won't regret it

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
I scored a used CR8 (chambered), I think it's a '10 or '11 for $2200 at L&M, so don't rule out a CS.
That was through a forum member, I would've never known about it otherwise.

I had an '07 Standard GOTW (guitar of the week) and as nice a guitar that was, the CR8 is just better.
I paid around two grand shipped for that, I believe.

I had a few MIJ LPs too, there are some nice units out there, for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
I scored a used CR8 (chambered), I think it's a '10 or '11 for $2200 at L&M, so don't rule out a CS.
That was through a forum member, I would've never known about it otherwise.

I had an '07 Standard GOTW (guitar of the week) and as nice a guitar that was, the CR8 is just better.
I paid around two grand shipped for that, I believe.

I had a few MIJ LPs too, there are some nice units out there, for sure.
Those chambered R8s are really nice. Seems like you got a good deal

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Those chambered R8s are really nice. Seems like you got a good deal
I sure feel that way, the guitar is in terrific shape, some tarnish on the hardware, that's about it.
My thought on it was that maybe they're poopooed by the purists, not sure, but I'm a happy camper.
I can't imagine what they gave the guy to sell it for that price.

That guitar weighs roughly what a Junior does, I'm good with that. :)

1 - 20 of 122 Posts