The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi peoples, I'm going to add a mini switch on my partscaster for the neck on option and the only switch I have on hand is an on/on/on.

I realize I'm not going to be utilizing all three positions on the switch but can this type of switch be used for this and if so, is there any other neat-o ways I can use the remaining two positions (ie. wiring for mid/neck series...)?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your post and title are confusing. What sort of switch is it? Can you link to a picture?
Good morning, the switch is a DPDT on/on/on like the one here;

Mini Toggle Switches, DPDT | stewmac.com

The only function I really NEED is neck on so I can get the neck/bridge combination. I know there's all kinds of funky stuff people do with mods so wondering if there's anything else I can do that would be cool like the n/br combo.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
I've seen a video on YouTube where a guy takes the normal 5 way combos and makes them different. Instead of neck middle you could do neck bridge by moving the appropriate wires at the switch. You would lose one of your regular positions though

Reactions: EssDeeEl

·
Premium Member
26,660 Posts
There is a much easier way to get neck+bridge on a Strat, without involving any additional switches. Simply reverse the connections of the bridge and middle pickups on the 5-way switch. That is, solder the middle-pickup wire to where the bridge wire normally goes, and vice versa for the bridge pickup.

This will give you:
neck
neck+bridge
bridge
bridge+middle
middle

You forfeit the neck+middle combination, but you gain the N+B that a Strat normally does not provide.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen a video on YouTube where a guy takes the normal 5 way combos and makes them different. Instead of neck middle you could do neck bridge by moving the appropriate wires at the switch. You would lose one of your regular positions though
That sounds like what mhammer is describing. I have another strat project I'll be starting over the winter that might benefit from such a configuration.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is a much easier way to get neck+bridge on a Strat, without involving any additional switches. Simply reverse the connections of the bridge and middle pickups on the 5-way switch. That is, solder the middle-pickup wire to where the bridge wire normally goes, and vice versa for the bridge pickup.

This will give you:
neck
neck+bridge
bridge
bridge+middle
middle

You forfeit the neck+middle combination, but you gain the N+B that a Strat normally does not provide.
Thanks for this too! I think this will work nicely for an upcoming HSH build!

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Late to the party, again... I used to do a mod to 3-position-switch Strats^)@#:
  • Wire up the bridge and neck pickups to the switch as if it was a Telecaster,
  • Use the original volume control as a volume control (!),
  • Use the 1st tone control as a tone control (!!),
  • Use the second tone control as a volume for the middle pickup,
  • Wire up the controls like a Jazz Bass
You have neck, neck+bridge, bridge, using the switch and one volume control. You have the middle using the other volume control. Blend to taste with the neck and bridge pickups on one volume control and the middle pickup on the other. (If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll see about doing up a schematic.)

Full disclosure -- I got the mod from a Guitar Player magazine, some time in the '70s.

·
Premium Member
26,660 Posts
That's a decent mod, probably from Craig Anderton or John Carruthers. The only thing I don't like about it is that it requires fiddling with the 2nd volume control to get the middle pickup. My own preference - which may not be everyone's - is to be able to get to things quickly; sometimes even if it means forfeiting possibilities. Six of one, half dozen of the other, eh?

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
The only thing I don't like about it is that it requires fiddling with the 2nd volume control to get the middle pickup. My own preference - which may not be everyone's - is to be able to get to things quickly; sometimes even if it means forfeiting possibilities. Six of one, half dozen of the other, eh?
Completely understood! If everybody liked the same things, it'd be pretty boring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts