The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Traynor YCV20WR and I have just swapped the Sovtek tubes for JJ's and threw in an Eminence Patriot series speaker. Improved the sound and clarity but the gain is still crappy. It runs on 3 x 12AX7s and 2 x EL84s. My question is: is there a problem with swapping and mixing one or two of the 12AX7s with tubes that are a bit more "high gain" or from a different manufacturer (not sure if they are 12AT7 or 12AY7???). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
"As always, it ain't that simple..."

Stratin2traynor said:
I have a Traynor YCV20WR and I have just swapped the Sovtek tubes for JJ's and threw in an Eminence Patriot series speaker. Improved the sound and clarity but the gain is still crappy. It runs on 3 x 12AX7s and 2 x EL84s. My question is: is there a problem with swapping and mixing one or two of the 12AX7s with tubes that are a bit more "high gain" or from a different manufacturer (not sure if they are 12AT7 or 12AY7???). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
When advertising guys talk about 12AX7s having different gain they are hyping you more than anything else. The Chinese ones have a smidgen more gain than most of the others but that doesn't translate into a useful difference in sound. In a preamp circuit if one stage of 12AX7 isn't enough switching brands won't help. You need another 12AX7 stage in the line!

It's like having a friend working at McDonalds. He might tend to fill the small fries package with a couple more than another worker but it's still not gonna fill you up like the Big Fry carton!

Or trying to soup up a 4 cylinder car by running it on "Premium" gas. Not gonna scare any big block V8s.

It sounds like you're looking for a high gain sound. The amp can't do it, period. If it was an old Traynor you could add an extra tube. Since it's a new one with modern printed circuit boards inside it would be an expensive nightmare to try.

Try some pedals! Modern crunch sound is all preamp distortion anyway so boost pedals are made to measure for this application.

Just MHO.:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Wild Bill. I'm not really looking for a high gain amp it's just that the crunch that I do get doesn't sound very good. It almost sounds ?wavy? - kinda like having a very very very mild phase effect. I was just curious to see if switching up to 12AY7's (I think these are supposed to be higher gain) or down to 12AT7's would make much of a difference. I don't really feel like shelling out the cash just to see. I was wondering if anyone had tried it and what results they had had.

I keep reading about Sovteks, JJ's, GT's and EHX's having their own characteristics. I have no idea myself being relatively new to tube swapping, speaker changing and the like. But since I'm a tinkerer, I just gotta know! lol.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Stratin2traynor said:
I was just curious to see if switching up to 12AY7's (I think these are supposed to be higher gain) or down to 12AT7's would make much of a difference.
According to an old Radio Amateur's Handbook, gain factors for 12A*7 tubes are as follows:

12AT7 - 60
12AU7A - 19.5
12AV7 - 37
12AX7A - 100
12AY7 - 40
12AZ7A - 60

In other words, a 12AX7A gives the highest gain for a preamp. Tonal as well as build quality depend on the manufacturer these days. Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you guys. I appreciate the info and advice. I'll keep messing around until I find the tone I want from this amp. Failing that, I'll keep my eyes out for a deluxe reverb - cause that's really what I want. :banana:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts