The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm a new guy to the forum.

I'm looking for a bit of technical help on a speaker swap. I have a Traynor YCV 20 WR with a Greenback in it. Thinking about swapping it with an Eminence Red White and Blues speaker. The RWB is rated at 120 Watts whereas the Greenback is rated at about 25 Watts. Does that matter?

Tell me what you think. Thanks

:rockon:

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Stratin2traynor said:

I'm looking for a bit of technical help on a speaker swap. I have a Traynor YCV 20 WR with a Greenback in it. Thinking about swapping it with an Eminence Red White and Blues speaker. The RWB is rated at 120 Watts whereas the Greenback is rated at about 25 Watts. Does that matter?

Wattage doesn't matter but will effect how the amp sounds. You are probably hearing some speaker breakup with the Greenback because it's of lower wattage. The Red White and Blues will be cleaner sounding with little to no speaker break up.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks Jeff. I didn't think it would make a difference but I thought I would ask. I have a habit of taking stuff apart and "fixing" it. Luckily I've done alright in the past. Now I just have to find time to do it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The other difference will be speaker sensitivity. A higher sensitivity rated speaker will be louder. A 3db increase in sensitivity is equivalent to doubling amplifier output power. The Greenback is 98db and the RWB is 101db. So, the RWB will be cleaner and louder.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
You thinking of selling that Greenback? :wave:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wattage doesn't matter
In this case, because you are increasing the speaker wattage, that's true. You do need to check if you are reducing the speaker wattage or changing to a higher wattage head with the same cab.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
Wattage doesn't matter but will effect how the amp sounds. You are probably hearing some speaker breakup with the Greenback because it's of lower wattage. The Red White and Blues will be cleaner sounding with little to no speaker break up.
I would say it matters. if you put a single 25watt speaker in a 60watt amp it will probably blow up. Not? I have never experienced this myself, I just assumed

·
Registered
35 Posts
Stratin2traynor said:

If you go to a speaker with excess power handling (say a 100 watt or higher RMS power handling rating) for your amp, it will sound much different. My experience has been the following with higher wattage speakers with a 20 watt amp.

1) Cleaner for a lot longer.

2) Breakup characteristics won't be as prevalent, only your style and amp settings can determine if this is a good thing to your ears.

3) The speaker will sound stiffer (unless it's well broken in, then maybe not) since it's not getting moved properly into it's dynamic working range since your 20 watt amp isn't going to make a 100 watt speaker work hard.

My general advice is as follows for speaker power handling.

Get a speaker(s) that can handle at least 25% more than your power output at full power. Most tube amps will exceed their rated output. My amps, for example (quad 6V6 single ended Class A design, rated at 20 watts clean at 2 on the volume knob) will put out around 35-39 watts when pushed into OD territory, roughly 7 on the dial. Two 30 watt speakers (G12H30 Pre Rolas or my Scumback H75 30 watt models) work well in this scenario because the speaker is working in it's dynamic range (mechanically and sound output wise, too)...not getting tickled by too little wattage to make it actually move back and forth dynamically.

So, try to find a speaker with 30-50 watts power handling for your amp, and you'll get a more dynamic tone, with a less sterile, flat response.

Think of it this way...like if you were lifting weights... would you lift a 150 lb weight when you're known best effort is 35-40 max? Would the 150 lb weight move? Probably not. Although the 20 watts you have would move the 150 watt speaker, it won't move it like it would a 30-60 watt speaker.

Make sense?

·
Premium Member
4,298 Posts
Instead of the Red, White and Blues, you are probably better off with the Eminence Legend GB12. It's a greenback-clone but with a 50 watts power rating as opposed to the 25 of the Celestion. I have one on my Fender PR II and I'm actually very pleased with it.

·
Premium Member
5,172 Posts
Chito said:
Instead of the Red, White and Blues, you are probably better off with the Eminence Legend GB12. It's a greenback-clone but with a 50 watts power rating as opposed to the 25 of the Celestion. I have one on my Fender PR II and I'm actually very pleased with it.
IMO it's a better sounding speaker too. It 'outgreenbacks' the Greenback hah.

Stratin2traynor, Any reason why you are specifically looking at the Red White and Blues?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
speaker change

No particular reason for choosing the RWB I just have one right now. I'm just looking for a chimier sound. I'm actually thinking of throwing it into a speaker cab and trying it out that way. My traynor has a kill switch for the greenback - so I don't have to yank the speaker out just yet. I find the greenback a little too dark for my taste. Just messing around and looking for a change. I like taking stuff apart changing things around and putting them back together. Luckily the stuff still works when I'm done.

Thanks for all the great info!! If the RWB doesn't work out, I'll try something else. :rockon:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
If you're looking for a chimey sound, you probably should load it in an open back cabinet. By the way, have you tried playing with the amps original sound by changing its location? In the old days before signal processing etc. we used the room architecture, mic location etc to get the sound we wanted.

I've seen amps laid flat on their backs, pointed into corners and even once laid on the front to get a certain sound.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've tried different locations for my amp and it does make a difference. Not what I'm looking for though. Thanks for all the suggestions:rockon: . Appreciate it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts