Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi,

i was looking through some websites, on my quest to find a proper amp to have in the house and play small venues with, and i discovered the Orange Tiny Terror.

it seems to be a pretty wicked amp, and from the samples i've heard online, in the orange oficial website, done by actual users, the amp sounds absolutely amazing!

has anyone here ever tried this amp? or any other orange amp?
or even owns any orange amp?

i would love to hear some reviews on these amps,

by the way, i'm looking for a versatile amp that will give a good sound in terms of rock (from ballad rock to hard rock).

thanks,
jared

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks gtrguy

i should have looked before i posted!
i must be going be going blind or something... lol

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
TheOz said:
hi,
has anyone here ever tried this amp? or any other orange amp?
or even owns any orange amp?

i would love to hear some reviews on these amps,

by the way, i'm looking for a versatile amp that will give a good sound in terms of rock (from ballad rock to hard rock).

Jared,
Allthough a little bigger, I use an orange rocker 30 for my main amp (we gig in smaller bars, about a few hundred people and its PLENTY loud, I use the clean channel at 1/2 and the dirty channel at 1/4 with about 2/3 gain).

The tone is pure classic rock. Mild overdrive sounds incredible, turn up the gain a bit and you can rock it up. I dont use any effects normally either.

My rythm guitarist in the band has a rocker 50 head, he go the 50 becasue it has an effects loop and reverb (the 30 doesnt) but the 50 is way too much amp for what we do.

I would like to try the 15 myself... waitring for the place I bought my 30 from to get one in.

AJC

·
Registered
283 Posts
the tiny terror was surprisingly loud for me when i tried it out in the shop and i play loud! with the volume cranked it gives off a wicked sound. the tubes really sing

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
sesroh said:
the tiny terror was surprisingly loud for me when i tried it out in the shop and i play loud! with the volume cranked it gives off a wicked sound. the tubes really sing
What is one of these little beasts selling for??

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Bob Clear posted this over at guitardiner.com;

UPS man dropped off a Tiny Terror yesterday just as I was taking turkey out of the oven (we eat with my family on the Wednesday before the holiday due to my Dad's work schedule). Only got a few minutes with it yesterday, but now that my wife is at her parents', in prep for the madness tomorrow, I wound it up for a while tonight.

The first thing you notice is, it's small. Tiny. Like, not even as big as a lunchbox. Made in Korea, parts look to be high-quality, build is well-done. J/J tubes, 2xEL84 (cathode-bias, with triode/pentode switch) and 2xECC83S. Gain, tone, and master volume. 1x16 and 2x8 ohm outputs. From a build perspective, my only gripe is that the cover, which must obviously be removed to access the tubes, is retained by ten VERY small machine screws. Since they're metric I bet they'll be difficult for the average owner to replace when (not if) they get lost.

Sound-wise, it's about as loud as I expected, about like a Univalve with a EL34 or bigger tube. It has very little clean volume; even with the master up full it starts to break up at really low volume. The tone knob doesn't do much, it shades the treble very subtly. The half-power mode, as expected, doesn't change the volume so much as the feel, it makes the response softer and squishier.

The first impression? It's got some SERIOUS gain. More gain than my K0m3t. Enough to make most any pickup microphonic at any decent volume. The tone is raw and somewhat raspy; compared to (again) a Univalve, smooth is NOT a language this amp speaks.

Overall it's pretty cool for what it does, which is one thing. The price is right, IMO. The whole Orange thing these days doesn't make a lot of sense to me - I've owned original Oranges and what they make today is nothing like the old stuff, it's as if someone bought, say, the Sunn name and started selling death metal amps styled like the old ones. But if you're looking for a RAWKing low-power tube rig for short money, these are worth a look.

·
Registered
283 Posts
he gave it a pretty under rated review. not a very enjoyable read to be honest. a bit cocky. reminds me of the owners of music shops that think they're all that. probably still a nice guy though heh

·
Registered
274 Posts
sesroh said:
he gave it a pretty under rated review. not a very enjoyable read to be honest. a bit cocky. reminds me of the owners of music shops that think they're all that. probably still a nice guy though heh
I found his review pretty satisfying. he knew what he was talking about from the looks of it. Past experience/ ownership, and knowledge of the amps inner workings.

In fact, I disagree with most things you have said on the subject so far. For starters, it seems that you paid 100 bucks too much. Also, you speak about it being incredibly loud and perfect for gigging. The only way you could play with a drummer on this thing is with volume and gain on max. IE. death metal tone. Clean tone at a reasonable level for playing a bar is unattainable. Don't be seduced by the colour

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yerffej said:
I found his review pretty satisfying. he knew what he was talking about from the looks of it. Past experience/ ownership, and knowledge of the amps inner workings.

In fact, I disagree with most things you have said on the subject so far. For starters, it seems that you paid 100 bucks too much. Also, you speak about it being incredibly loud and perfect for gigging. The only way you could play with a drummer on this thing is with volume and gain on max. IE. death metal tone. Clean tone at a reasonable level for playing a bar is unattainable. Don't be seduced by the colour
looks like you havnt tried the tiny terror then. it's a 15-watt tube HEAD. not a 15 watt combo. i can honestly say it's almost just as loud as the marshall avt50h i had(50 watt valvestate head). also, 799 canadian is the list price. if u hadnt already known, orange do not have a headquarters in canada. therefore, the orange gear we see in shops is noticably more expensive than that in the US of A.

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
sesroh said:
paid over 900 with tax. so $799.99
They are selling in the the US for $549. At the current rate of exchange that's $625 Cdn. Hmmm.

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
sesroh said:
looks like you havnt tried the tiny terror then. it's a 15-watt tube HEAD. not a 15 watt combo. i can honestly say it's almost just as loud as the marshall avt50h i had(50 watt valvestate head). also, 799 canadian is the list price. if u hadnt already known, orange do not have a headquarters in canada. therefore, the orange gear we see in shops is noticably more expensive than that in the US of A.
A friend of mine was just emailing me raving about the Tiny Terror and how loud it can get.

I really like the idea of a compact powerful tube head. My Stephenson custom LJ-15 is a bit bigger than the Tiny Terror but has a similar vibe.

Looks like Orange may have another winner here.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
sesroh said:
he sums it up with - "But if you're looking for a RAWKing low-power tube rig for short money, these are worth a look".

Sounds pretty positive to me. He just didn't like some things about the way it was built. This guy is very knowledgeable of guitar equipment..

·
Registered
2 Posts
CalgaryTerry said:
Bob Clear posted this over at guitardiner.com
That's me; thanks to Terry for the invitation and kind words.

I didn't intend to impugn modern Orange amps; I merely mean they're nothing like the originals except for cosmetics. The new ones are mostly rather sophisticated amps with reverb and multiple channels, and the old ones are single-channel low-gain dinosaurs by comparison.

I like the TT; it's well-made at this price point (undoubtedly due to the Korean angle), easy to work on...my only functional gripe is that it runs the power tubes far too hot (IMO) at the 15W setting. This, coupled with the generally short lives of modern EL84s, will result in going through power tubes pretty fast, I think.

My initial thought was that the power switch selected between triode and pentode modes; it does not. It selects a different tap on the power transformer, so in 7W mode voltages are lower everywhere, including the preamp.

I changed the cathode resistor in mine to get the 15W setting down to a safer region; doing so then makes the 7W setting too cold, so I'll be changing the power switch to also bring in and out a different cathode resistor for that mode.

Here are some gut shots:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
"There's always a BUT..."

There was a post or two about how the Canadian price was higher than a simple exchange conversion on the American retail price. I've covered this before but it bears repeating.

If you've never been in business for yourself there's a logical but totally wrong assumption that you get the same cost as any other distributor and are expected to sell at the same retail. This is not only wrong but in the case of resale pricing quite illegal!

Fixing the resale price in every store is called price fixing. Fast way to earn a heavy fine from the government. As a distributor you can sell under cost if you want. Eventually you'll go out of business but hey, it's up to you! If you want to discount for a Christmas sale or to move old stock for the next generation model you are totally free to do so, no matter what the factory says.

Unfortunately, your cost can vary in the same way. With many products like music gear, linen sheets, tires and a raft of others factories set up "master dealers" or factory representative geographic areas. They don't want two guys in the same town beating each other up with lowball pricing until there's no profit in selling your units. If distributors can't make any money selling your toasters then they'll drop the line for one made by somebody else.

In Canada there's a long history going back maybe a hundred years in some cases of American factories considering Canada to be a separate market. They don't want the expense and bother of sending salespeople all the way to the Great White North so they appoint some local firm as their agent. This firm handles their Canadian orders but charges an "in-between" markup to pay for his overhead. He supplies Canadian stores but those stores now have a higher cost than a store in Asshead, Idaho. So the retail price in Canada ends up higher than in the USA. Worse, the Canadian store often has to sell the unit for less money to compete with InterNet sales from across the border.

So why can't the Canadian store bypass the middleman and buy direct from the USA factory source, at the USA cost and then just adjust for currency exchange? Because the factory will not take their Canadian order! They'll just refer them to their Canadian agent.

They also put pressure on American vendors who take Canadian orders to undercut the local Canadian sources. At least, that's the official line. In practice they don't usually bust their ass over it 'cuz hey, to the factory they get theirs no matter who sells it! To be fair, nowadays it can be almost impossible to police anyway. Just too much of it is going on.

Many manufacturers of various products have wised up to the modern world and treat Canadian distributors just the same as those in America. After all, with InterNet crossborder sales growing by leaps and bounds what happens if you keep using the old system is that the local Canadian store loses more and more sales until it can't stay in business any longer. Sadly, there are still many products sold in the same old way and as the "legal" Canadian sales figures keep dropping no one at the American head office pays attention, since Canadian sales are such a small percentage to them anyway.

You might like to think about that the next time you are deciding if you want to buy that speaker cheaper from an American source on the Net. You may save a few bucks but don't assume that your local convenient music store will always be there for you. He has to pay his staff and his rent too! We used to have hardware stores run by old guys who could advise you on almost anything to do with hardware. Plastic see-through packaging and big "House Station" stores killed most of them off with cheaper pricing. Now everybody bitches that you can't find salespeople in those stores who know anything...

It's always "follow the money!" If the sandwich is free then you paid too much for the beer...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.