The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tinnitus and can hear to around 10K Hz. I don't enjoy loud music anymore although volumes at which you can talk over is ok.. There is a high pitched overtone hiss to any loudly amplified guitar tones or even acoustic guitar strummed heavily. My Wife's voice bothers me as well (at any volume, no remedy for that) Low volumes do not bother me. Is this worthy of a visit to a Doctor or is it old age knocking at my door. I wear hearing protection while using loud tools(guitars excluded). I wear earplugs as well because wind and road noise on an extended drive bothers me as well.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Go to a doctor. You need to find where yer at with that before something really fucks up.

Today I been reading about which ear plugs to buy for vocal bcs some of them supposedly mess you up worse than others. I think I’ll order them now.

Friend of mine who is a good all round musician retired a few years ago to concentrate on music. He blew his ears out in a little over a year listening to the shit that he’d recorded by blasting it through monitors for hours every day. Now he has “rumbling tinnitus”’which is like a freight train rollin through his head every half hour and he can’t concentrate on music no more cause he’s wonderin where those trains going to.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Yes, more and more is being done in this field. Even if a little can be done that will be a positive thing.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I have the same thing. I am very sensitive to certain frequencies, bad tinnitus.
I went to my doctor and there is not much you can do. There are things that will help, diet related, but I'm a lazy slob when it comes to food.
My doctor also told me the guy who comes up with a cure for tinnitus will be a Billionaire.

·
Premium Member
11,067 Posts
My tinnitus seemed to get worse either with hypertension or with the drug to control it. Talk to your doctor. There may or may not be a link.

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
And if you haven't already, get your blood pressure checked. Mine was way worse before I got my high blood pressure under control.

·
Premium Member
10,033 Posts
I have tinnitus and can hear to around 10K Hz. I don't enjoy loud music anymore although volumes at which you can talk over is ok.. There is a high pitched overtone hiss to any loudly amplified guitar tones or even acoustic guitar strummed heavily. My Wife's voice bothers me as well (at any volume, no remedy for that) Low volumes do not bother me. Is this worthy of a visit to a Doctor or is it old age knocking at my door. I wear hearing protection while using loud tools(guitars excluded). I wear earplugs as well because wind and road noise on an extended drive bothers me as well.
re: bolded, that's called a throwaway joke. Nicely done!

P

·
0 Posts
Go to a doctor. You need to find where yer at with that before something really fucks up.

Today I been reading about which ear plugs to buy for vocal bcs some of them supposedly mess you up worse than others. I think I’ll order them now.

Friend of mine who is a good all round musician retired a few years ago to concentrate on music. He blew his ears out in a little over a year listening to the shit that he’d recorded by blasting it through monitors for hours every day. Now he has “rumbling tinnitus”’which is like a freight train rollin through his head every half hour and he can’t concentrate on music no more cause he’s wonderin where those trains going to.
Would you share what you learned about plugs and which ones you are going to buy?

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Would you share what you learned about plugs and which ones you are going to buy?
About a month ago I found a place near me that does custom made ear plugs but I never followed up on it. Lately I went through a lot of threads on different sites for their reviews on over the counter stuff. I was looking for something that didn't mess you up too much for vocal. A few people said that the Erasers were too muffled. The ones that Fender sells look to me like nails; they are thin and have a stem that seems to stick out quite a bit so I was concerned about some accidental impact driving the plug into the ear drum. There were a couple of other manufacturers that I passed on. Eventually you just have to decide on one set and hope it works.

So I ordered the Alpine ones from Cosmo because they have three levels of filters and their site says one of them is preferable for vocal. Shape was a consideration as well; these are universal fit and the shape seems less likely to get driven too far into the ear canal. NNR and SNR seem to just be different ways of measuring the noise reduction.

Alpine MusicSafe Pro Ear Plugs - Hearing Protection - Accessories - Other Instruments & Accessories | Cosmo Music

P

·
0 Posts
About a month ago I found a place near me that does custom made ear plugs but I never followed up on it. Lately I went through a lot of threads on different sites for their reviews on over the counter stuff. I was looking for something that didn't mess you up too much for vocal. A few people said that the Erasers were too muffled. The ones that Fender sells look to me like nails; they are thin and have a stem that seems to stick out quite a bit so I was concerned about some accidental impact driving the plug into the ear drum. There were a couple of other manufacturers that I passed on. Eventually you just have to decide on one set and hope it works.

So I ordered the Alpine ones from Cosmo because they have three levels of filters and their site says one of them is preferable for vocal. Shape was a consideration as well; these are universal fit and the shape seems less likely to get driven too far into the ear canal. NNR and SNR seem to just be different ways of measuring the noise reduction.

Alpine MusicSafe Pro Ear Plugs - Hearing Protection - Accessories - Other Instruments & Accessories | Cosmo Music
Those look great, maybe I will get a pair. I use Doc's Pro Plugs. They have to be sized, but do not go into the ear canal, they block the entrance.

http://www.proplugs.com/c-79-vented-wo-leash.aspx

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts

I'm going to try them too. I think the ones that I've tried have too much attenuation and cause me to sing too quietly.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
I'm going to try them too. I think the ones that I've tried have too much attenuation and cause me to sing too quietly.
The ones I posted have the low attenuation filters for vocal as well as 2 more sets of filters for medium and high attenuation. So this is the set they say is best for vocal because it comes with the low attenuation filters.

There's a cheaper pair that only has 2 sets of filters: one medium and one high.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
The ones I posted have the low attenuation filters for vocal as well as 2 more sets of filters for medium and high attenuation. So this is the set they say is best for vocal because it comes with the low attenuation filters.

There's a cheaper pair that only has 2 sets of filters: one medium and one high.
I just ordered the ones that you posted so I'm hoping for the best. My ears are taking a beating playing/singing in two bands.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
47 here and I am getting closer each month it seems to hearing aids. I don't think my tinnitus is getting any worse, but it is getting harder and harder to hear people talk at seemingly quiet levels. I notice that I am starting to become oblivious to some discussions around me. My wife chatting at low levels with my Son at the dinner table. It's dead quiet here and some of it, they speak too low. I quietly sit and not react. Sometimes I have my wife repeat herself 3 x then she gives up. I stopped playing in loud bands over 2 years ago. Muffs on and plugs in at every occasion since tinnitus started to appear. Lawnmower, weed-whacker, motorcycle rides, all concerts, hammering, everything. Plugs in for past 3-4 years. Yet my hearing is still getting worse. Maybe it's age catching up.
I have two pairs of custom fitting plugs. -9 db and -25 db.

No fun. Take care of your hearing.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
47 here and I am getting closer each month it seems to hearing aids. I don't think my tinnitus is getting any worse, but it is getting harder and harder to hear people talk at seemingly quiet levels. I notice that I am starting to become oblivious to some discussions around me. My wife chatting at low levels with my Son at the dinner table. It's dead quiet here and some of it, they speak too low. I quietly sit and not react. Sometimes I have my wife repeat herself 3 x then she gives up. I stopped playing in loud bands over 2 years ago. Muffs on and plugs in at every occasion since tinnitus started to appear. Lawnmower, weed-whacker, motorcycle rides, all concerts, hammering, everything. Plugs in for past 3-4 years. Yet my hearing is still getting worse. Maybe it's age catching up.
I have two pairs of custom fitting plugs. -9 db and -25 db.

No fun. Take care of your hearing.
I'm getting to the point of willingly wearing plugs now, for everything but on stage.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have had tinnitus in my left ear for 50 odd years now (I rocked way too loud in the 60s and 70s) and I have had many a test and there ain’t no cure, like the song says. My actual hearing is not bad at all, though.

Again, and unfortunately, there is no cure for this but it doesn’t get worse with age (in my case anyway). Mine does get more pronounced in noisy/busy environments, with alcohol, and with loud music, obviously. It can get quieter at times but never ever goes away. I don’t play loud guitar anymore opting for that quieter, more mellow approach.

I doubt your doctor can do anything for you. He/she will just refer you to an audiologist where your condition will be assessed and your tinnitus confirmed. As far as I know, your getting older has nothing to do with it as you have suggested.

In any case, good luck and post your tests results.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Tinnitus sufferer here; had it since I was a little kid, might be allergy related, might be congenital, it was never checked at the time, too late to determine the cause now. The things that distinctly make it worse in my case are salicylates; aspirin, ibuprofen, wintergreen oil, lots of food sources (including many that I'm allergic to); it goes from a low-level ringing and low-level whooshing sounds to really obnoxious and sometimes painful whistling and roaring, which dies down after a couple of days. And yeah, there's currently no cure for most forms of tinnitus, though there are a few that can be helped.

I've been wearing earplugs since I started playing electric guitar around 45 years or so ago. Every jam session, every electric or otherwise loud gig I played, most every show I went to, even some shows I was sound tech for (where I'd pop one or the other earplug in and out as needed). My hearing, as of my last check, is better than typical for someone half my age in one ear, and better than that in the other, for pitch distinction and level sensitivity.

To help avoid it, buy and use decent musician-style earplugs ($15-$30) or go for custom-fit. The cheapo drugstore plugs kill the highs substantially, and make everything sound kind of underwater or something.

P

·
0 Posts
I remember reading some time ago the US Army was working on and was close to a cure for tinnitus.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts