The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a nice stable of guitars - Yamaha acoustic, Gibson Les Paul Signature T (Gold Top), Tele, and ES-335 - so I don't really need another one, but I have money sitting around and you all know how that story goes. I was considering buying another guitar but simply do not need four electrics. Hell, I could get by with my Tele and 335. But a friend put an idea in my head - why not buy a dream guitar like a Gibson '57 Reissue Gold Top? If I were to do that I would sell my current Gold Top (a really nice guitar that sings thanks to a friend who is a guitar tech). Now all of this is assuming that the thicker neck on the '57s agrees with me. If not, I would have to look into an R8 instead.

But I have a question before I start looking into this. Are the Reissues really that much better quality to justify the additional price? I would buy used or maybe find an NOS one that is still sitting around at L&M or some other store, but is the additional price warranted? I am only a home player and do not have the skills to justify such a guitar, but if I were to stick to what my skills justify I would only own Hello Kitty and Squier Affinity guitars!

So, are the Gibson reissues really worth the extra cost?

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
Ahhhh, the $64,000 question.

Beauty is in the eye/ear of the beholder. It's obviously all about 'diminishing returns'. If you really appreciate that last little detail, yea, they are. If not, probably not. If you have to give up your Kraft Dinner to get one, probably not. If you won't notice the bump in your bank account, it may be.

(With apologies to reincarnationists and flat-earthers) We only go around once, and we don't want to be laying on our death bed saying "damn, I wished I woulda bought a Gibby reissue".

Will it make you a better player? Nope. Will you feel good about playing it, looking at it, owning it in general (and maybe even bragging about it)? Sure. Is a $40 bottle of wine better than a $15 bottle? They both get you 'happy'. Is a real oil painting better than the print? These are all questions we can only answer for ourselves.

But if your asking me personally, hell yea, go for it!

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
I've owned a Gibson gold top traditional and a Gibson R7 Goldtop. To me the R7 was definitely worth the money. It was far superior to the traditional. The neck was big but I'm used to the Nocaster neck which is big. Its big but very comfortable. The R7 I got from L&M was a 2013 that had been hanging around the store unsold until 2017. So it was what they called "Shop Worn". It was discounted to about $3,900. They transferred it from another store from me and when I went to pick it up the store further discounted it to $3,400. There was a little wear on the back of the body but overall nothing that concerned me. It was quite light at about 8.5 pounds. The "woman tone" of the neck pickup was like nothing I'd heard before. I don't think I'd have paid the going rate on an R7 which I think is about 5-6k but thats because I'm primarily a Fender Tele type player.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I’ve owned several Gibson re-issues including R8s, R9s, and artist series. By no means am I a professional but can play and have owned many a guitar. I think an R7 would be an excellent choice and the quality is top notch with the re-issues. I’ve seen great deals on kijiji for pre owned R7s if you are patient. Try and get one with a nice dark fretboard and don’t look back.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just talking to a good friend who used to work at L&M and he echoed these comments - that the Reissues are well worth the asking price.

I need to see if I can get along with the neck on an R7. If not, I will look at R8s. An R0 would be perfect for me but, according to him, Yorkville didn't bring many into Canada because there simply wasn't the demand for them.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I agree with the other posters. My brother owns a Murphy-aged R-7 and it is a real beauty. But I am a big fan of Gibsons from the CS, so I am somewhat biased.

Great advice from GeorgeMich imo. I have never bought from Kijiji but I have used Craigslist a lot. I see you live in the GTA. Should be lots of great deals on guitars on CL around Toronto. I use Vancouver CL and the great guitars seem to come in waves. I check every day whether I am in the market or not.

If you decide to pull the trigger I would encourage you to take your time and find one that inspires you to play more.

·
Registered
11,820 Posts
I picked up my R8 used from L&M for $2200, thanks to another formite.

I still had an LP Standard here which was a nice guitar itself, but the reissue was definitely a notch above.

I don't think that I would spring for a new one, but they are top notch units for sure.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Definitely, one I couldn't resist.

The guitar was in really clean condition too, which suprised me for the price.
Gotta love it when you hit the jackpot. ;-)

Reactions: sulphur

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
The more recent CS LP's appear to have slightly slimmer necks. It's all about the carve and not necessarily the dimensions. I've played "logs" that were technically smaller in thickness but the big shoulders made it a bit uncomfortable for me.

There is definately good value in 2012 models due to the laminate fretboard. I had two CS from 2012 that were stellar (LP and 335).

To raise the stakes, the Collectors Choice series are superb. I have not played a dog yet - neck carves and dimensions are goldilox perfect, great sounding pickups and killer overall vibe. Is a CC better than a CS? Here we go again!

Definately try out the R7's and make sure the neck carve is a good fit for you. After owning many guitars, the neck is one of the biggest factors in enjoying a guitar for me.

Enjoy the search.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The more recent CS LP's appear to have slightly slimmer necks. It's all about the carve and not necessarily the dimensions. I've played "logs" that were technically smaller in thickness but the big shoulders made it a bit uncomfortable for me.

There is definately good value in 2012 models due to the laminate fretboard. I had two CS from 2012 that were stellar (LP and 335).

To raise the stakes, the Collectors Choice series are superb. I have not played a dog yet - neck carves and dimensions are goldilox perfect, great sounding pickups and killer overall vibe. Is a CC better than a CS? Here we go again!

Definately try out the R7's and make sure the neck carve is a good fit for you. After owning many guitars, the neck is one of the biggest factors in enjoying a guitar for me.

Enjoy the search.

Funny you should mention the shoulders as that is the biggest issue I have with necks - too much shoulder and I just can't play the damned thing. I think those play a bigger role, for me at least, than the actual thickness does.

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
I need to see if I can get along with the neck on an R7. If not, I will look at R8s. An R0 would be perfect for me but, according to him, Yorkville didn't bring many into Canada because there simply wasn't the demand for them.
I thought R7 and R8 necks were very similar in size? The R9 and R0 got successively smaller, as I recall. Someone who has more experience with these may want to weigh in on this?

One of the best reissues I ever played was an R0 'Beanoburst'. Stunning guitar, but I passed because I would have preferred an R9-sized neck. I shoulda bought that guitar - it haunts me to this day (but I didn't really need a 3rd LP - or did I?????).

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
I am very pleased and impressed with my ‘58 Reissue ES-335. Blown away, even. But yeah, it has a fat, round neck that usually takes me a few minutes to get used to after playing something else. I generally gravitate toward fat necks, so I like it, but it’s chunky. My PRS McCarty 594 with the “Pattern Vintage” carve is probably the nicest neck I’ve ever played, although it’s a close thing with a 2014 R9 I tried at L&M. The key is, as you mentioned, the shoulders.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am very pleased and impressed with my ‘58 Reissue ES-335. Blown away, even. But yeah, it has a fat, round neck that usually takes me a few minutes to get used to after playing something else. I generally gravitate toward fat necks, so I like it, but it’s chunky. My PRS McCarty 594 with the “Pattern Vintage” carve is probably the nicest neck I’ve ever played, although it’s a close thing with a 2014 R9 I tried at L&M. The key is, as you mentioned, the shoulders.

I love my 335 so if I go Historic it will be for a Les Paul (I refuse to pay Reissue prices for an SG...although if I could find a Derek Trucks SG I might be persuaded).

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
I love my 335 so if I go Historic it will be for a Les Paul (I refuse to pay Reissue prices for an SG...although if I could find a Derek Trucks SG I might be persuaded).
Derek Trucks SG's aren't historics. I've not really liked the ones I've played. Mainly because of the slim necks.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
I hear you. You scored a killer 335, so no need for any changes there. In my case, I was smitten by mine and it was Gibson Month...

Anyway, a work buddy has a sweet ‘58 Reissue LP and the neck is nice.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In my case, I was smitten by mine and it was Gibson Month...
It was exactly the same for me!

Anyway, a work buddy has a sweet ‘58 Reissue LP and the neck is nice.

A friend of mine has one too and its neck is also nice. Gold Tops are my favourites so I will check out R7s first, from there I will move on to R8s.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts