The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've seen the other threads on this forum about cable choices but few actually qualify their choices. Don't just say I tried X cable and it sounded better than Y cable. Tell me that you qualified your choice by either reading an article - quote chapter and verse -, or you actually did a qualified test. I'm not trying to put anyone on the spot. I just want to get a quality cable thats going to last, i.e lifetime warranty - without sacrificing a lot of bucks. I don't mind paying for quality but I HATE paying for hype,

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Sorry bud I won't be much help. I build all my own cabling, using Belden cable and Neutrik ends. Most studios use this combo for thier wiring. I've done lots of work over the years for sound related companies and most swore by this too. I just make my own because I can tailor length for exactly when my needs are.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ripper. BUt that's the kind of "qualified" opinion I was looking for. You work in the industry so your opinion is a "qualified" opinion and thats what I was looking for.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Just my $0.02, never let someone else's opinion influence what your ears tell you even if it's an article in a magazine or on the internet.

Andy

·
Registered
274 Posts
my .02 would be that a lifetime warranty on any cable is an acknowledged joke. The manufacturer specifies that the user is responsible for all shipping fees ( to and from repair, wherever that may be) and it should not be considered as a selling point.

I'm really very happy with the mogami stuff. Just for the dollar, pre-assembled by radial with some OK ends, its a reliable and good sounding cable. This is my opinion though. We did the shootout at the shop and it was a clear winner. The monster cable people (and a few others) have brought their wares and we did the tests, but its a crazy cost at that point, beyond what I think is reasonable. Futureshop makes some multi-hundred percent profit on every foot of monster cable they sell; theres a lot of hype pushing it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Monster rocks..no static, quality components & heavy-duty build. durable..works for me! If you are counting pennies, get Planet Waves..truly decent for the price. JMHO! :food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
Monster rocks..no static, quality components & heavy-duty build. durable..works for me! If you are counting pennies, get Planet Waves..truly decent for the price. JMHO! :food-smiley-004:
The planet waves are very good and quite durable. Good balance of sound quality and price. For recording I sometimes use George L's, sound great but I don't find them as durable or as quiet (handling noise) as the planet waves.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I've been making my own cables for 20 years when I need them. Bulk, high quality cable, Neutrik or Switchraft ends. I've seen too many cables with either those ridiculous crimp on ends, or just a slight dab of solder.

For speaker wire, I use 16 guage lamp cord that you can buy bulk at Home Depot.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I use yorkvilles. They don't cost much and sound just fine to me. I've only ever killed one(and I fixed it) so they're pretty reliable. I also have a old rapco that has to be ten years old and still going strong. Sounds fine too. I guess I'm just not that picky about cables, I just like them to last. Which the yorkvilles do.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Ripper gave you good advice!

Belden 8410 is the good stuff. Neutrik or Switchcraft ends.

:rockon2:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use Klotz cables purchased through Kingsley Amplifiers in B.C. Before I coughed up the cash, I did lots of reading. I never archived my links, etc. but I'm sure if you look you'll find the same great reviews, test results, etc. A very neutral cable. These are not cheap, but they are real good. Whether they are "worth" the money is up to you.

Cheers,
Blair

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Canare cable and Neutrik ends.

I'm not sure that anyone can tell the difference between one reasonable quality cable vs any other one using a blind listening test. Here is why I use the above products:

1. They stand the test of time. I very rarely have had to repair a cable that I've made with the above products. The strain relief on the cable is good, and the shielding does not disintigrate and come apart with age (at least it hasn't in the last twenty years). There is one very popular brand that I frequently repair/replace because the shielding has rotted in a much shorter life cycle.

2. They are not noisy. You can shake and step on them and there is no audible capacitive noise. Hum induced through the cable has never been an issue with balanced cables/differential inputs.

3. The outer rubber jacket is soft, easy to wind and stays looking good for an incredibly long time. They haven't hardened over time or become glossy.

5. The ends hold up well, unless you get them wet. The XLR ends fit into other devices properly until you loose the little bushing on the female XLR cable. There are some Neutrx look a likes on the market which have issues fitting into sockets and mics properly.

6. There are no screws to fall out of the ends. And the little strain relief plastic part works. I like the fact that they have a break off part for larger diameter cable as well.

I've made litterally hundreds of cables using these brands since 1991, with the majority being balanced XLR microphone cables.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Talking about lifetime warranty, I had a Planet Waves cable that I've had for quite a while now which became microphonic. Went to Lauzon's here and was actually looking for a replacement and was offered another Planet Waves cable. Told them the reason I'm shopping for one was coz my old one has become microphonic. They said there's a lifetime guarantee on them so I could just bring it in and they would replace it. Which I did and they did replace it. I didn't even buy it from them. I'm not sure if the other stores would do the same thing tho.

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
Talking about lifetime warranty, I had a Planet Waves cable that I've had for quite a while now which became microphonic. Went to Lauzon's here and was actually looking for a replacement and was offered another Planet Waves cable. Told them the reason I'm shopping for one was coz my old one has become microphonic. They said there's a lifetime guarantee on them so I could just bring it in and they would replace it. Which I did and they did replace it. I didn't even buy it from them. I'm not sure if the other stores would do the same thing tho.

Lauzon's are unusually generous, IMO. They do that sort of thing often.

C

·
0 Posts
"which became microphonic"
Can someone PM me and fill me in on what that means please?

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's what I call "Great Customer Service" :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
I use Planet Waves instrument cables. I like the durability, I've never had to have one replaced. My speaker cables are #12 with Neutrik ends. One is Planet Waves, the other two are homemade. Personally I can't tell the difference between cables as far as sound quality goes unless one is broken and crackling.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I tried some cables made by Warwick called "rockcable"...they were cheap so I decided to get them. They are ok...
I have used them live a lot of times and they hold up really well. They dont seem to have any problems with excess noise or anything.

After reading the above, I think I am going to try to make my own cables though...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Planet waves. Because they're reasonably priced and mine still work, so no complaints here. Honestly, I can't seem to hear the difference between different brands of cables - I'm sure that they sound different, but the difference doesn't seem obvious to me. Am I deaf?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts