The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, that vinyl thing. Came back, eh. Problem is (until recently) there weren't any more pressing plants in Canada, so Canadian bands had to ship to/from the US or EU (expensive) - e.g. what SAMO does as a broker for you. Then they openned that pressing plant in Montreal (anyone know if that's still active?), which was nice, but they only do pressing (not mastering/laquers/plating/making the stampers) last I checked so not exactly that helpful for indie guys unless you are doing a repress and had the forethought to request the plant that originally did it to send you your stampers along with your records.

Then Canada Boy opened out West. Great, but how do we not have anything in Toronto?

This is interesting: Canadian firm behind improved vinyl-record press spins its first deal (905 company designed and building NEW vinyl presses).

But the main thing I wanted to point out was this: Monotype Audio Disk Cutting

Located inside Sonic Boom in Toronto. Lathe cut (the dude says embossed not cut, but he uses a lathe so I dunno) 7 and 10 inch discs. Monophonic, but the quality is good. Best deal is a single sided 10" pic disc (but he can do dual sided and non pic discs too - which are clear and look pretty cool) - hold about 15 minutes of audio. The 2 bands I'm in have done one each, and the guitarist from one of them has done one with his other band. Per unit it is much more expensive than a proper pressing, but there's no min qty, and no shipping if you're local, so it's super handy for the indies.

(not affiliated in any way; just a fan)

·
Premium Member
18,736 Posts
I wonder if it will take off. I believe my band's last record was pressed in the Czech republic.

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh it's off. Dude has become super busy in the last 2 months.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts