The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to revisit this little nuance in the sound of HB PUPs. I've been using my Duncun Custom SH-5 without the cover since a tech in L&M (back in around 1986/87 or so) said you'll get a better heavy rock sound that way, which I preferred. I'm thinking of possibly revisiting the concept with some experimentation with a PUP cover now.

Anyone have fairly extensive experience with this? Some of the you tube stuff show various types of metals used in the covers like Nickle/Chrome and Brass, and I'd like to expand the idea here with input from you guys and gal(s?). Any feedback? I've heard a couple of opinions, but I won't bother putting them here just so it doesn't "color" the sound of an opinion based on pre conceptions. Here's a quick video from BKP with a LP:

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I still cannot believe I never considered this tiny little itsy bitsy change/test after this many years of playing. I just held on to what some random dude with long hair in L&M told me when I was an impressionable teenager who was(and still am) into heavier music and just starting to play.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
I decided to revisit this little nuance in the sound of HB PUPs. I've been using my Duncun Custom SH-5 without the cover since a tech in L&M (back in around 1986/87 or so) said you'll get a better heavy rock sound that way, which I preferred.

Plenty of hard rock players used covered pickups.

I had a Faded LP that had covered pickups. It looked very like Page's #1 so I said screw it and removed the cover from the bridge pickup to make it look more like his guitar. I didn't notice any difference in sound.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Interesting video. I can't honestly perceive much difference sonically. The comments of the fellow in the video tended to "lead this witness" ..LOL.

Visually, the uncovered pickups look naked and give the guitar an unfinished look. However, admittedly, I'm old and conservative.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I've played around with them in the past, and i could never tell. however, my hearing isn't as good as some folks seems to be, so i cant definitively say. i do like the look of uncovered better though

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
No doubt ,covers do tame some of the treble & change the tone a little , Not all covers a created equal so usually find the most transparent sounding cover made from Nickel NOT Brass .
Heavy plating on a cover will effect the tone in a negative way being it's thicker than a un-plated raw nickel cover . Gibson covers are good quality

·
Registered
848 Posts
No doubt ,covers do tame some of the treble & change the tone a little , Not all covers a created equal so usually find the most transparent sounding cover made from Nickel NOT Brass .
Heavy plating on a cover will effect the tone in a negative way being it's thicker than a un-plated raw nickel cover . Gibson covers are good quality
The vibration of a string being captured by a pole, I have a hard time understanding why something "around" that pole would alter what's being "catched" by the pole.
Completely covered pups would be a heresy then.
High end guitar builders should use plastic covers, so not to "color" the tone of their expensive pups. That must be why the P90 sounds so great.:confused:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The vibration of a string being captured by a pole, I have a hard time understanding why something "around" that pole would alter what's being "catched" by the pole.
Completely covered pups would be a heresy then.
High end guitar builders should use plastic covers, so not to "color" the tone of their expensive pups. That must be why the P90 sounds so great.:confused:
The cover surrounding the pole screw does effect the tone a little but the other coil (the covered slug coil) which is the brightest coil is totally under the cover . that is where most of the treble is lost .

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Back in the mid 70s I had Gibson mini buckers offa 70s gold top. I put them on a Pan LP. The guitar was a POS.

I took the covers off the pickups and it sounded different. I would say better. Kind of a stronger tone. But the guitar was still a POS.

I snagged one of the exposed coils with a pick. Broke a wire and the P/U went dead. Somehow I repaired the damage but that pickup always hummed after that. I might have isolated the undamaged coil to get it working again. Can't remember.

Anyway, I put the covers back on after all that.

The guitar remained a POS.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Back in the mid 70s I had Gibson mini buckers offa 70s gold top. I put them on a Pan LP. The guitar was a POS.

I took the covers off the pickups and it sounded different. I would say better. Kind of a stronger tone. But the guitar was still a POS.

I snagged one of the exposed coils with a pick. Broke a wire and the P/U went dead. Somehow I repaired the damage but that pickup always hummed after that. I might have isolated the undamaged coil to get it working again. Can't remember.

Anyway, I put the covers back on after all that.

The guitar remained a POS.
Do you still have this said "piece of shit" Wardo? haha

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I had an Epiphone Explorer about 20 years ago. Got bored one day and decided to remove the pickup covers. Made no difference in the sound that I could hear.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Do you still have this said "piece of shit" Wardo? haha
It got to the point where I needed to use vice grips to turn one of the machine heads ... lol

It lay around until maybe 15 years ago and I tried to do a Pete Townsend axe job with it but the guitar wouldn't break. I'll give it that much.

Tossed it in the dumpster ...lol

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By the sounds of it, it's possibly becoming one of those fabled myths being bounced around the internet.....again. Like so many before it. Maybe I'll just cancel the stupid internet all together. Anybody have the phone number to do that?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts