The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove from East of Toronto to Oakville and bought me a Hamer P90 Special. Brought my Gibson GA-5 5w amp along to test it. Bonded in less than a minute. Felt just right, sounded just right. With the neck pickup on, and the tone rolled right back, it made Clapton's woman tone sound butch. Bridge pup with tone up - nice snarl. Have got more fooling around to to do.

This axe, a hard shell case - $500.00 Cdn. - When I told the guy I was going to offer $450, but then I thought it was worth the $500. he threw in a Vox Pathfinder 15R !!!

I have a Marshall MG15CD SS amp too, and this VOX blows the Marshall totally away. Talk about bonus.

Add 3 hours time, 200km return trip and $15 in gas - this was a KILLER DEAL !

Reactions: GuitarsCanada

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Great guitar, and amazing price.

Which Duncan P90s are in that guitar?

IIRC, Duncan have about 4 different models ranging from Vintage voiced, to really hot pickups with ceramic magnets.

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CalgaryTerry said:
Great guitar, and amazing price.

IIRC, Duncan have about 4 different models ranging from Vintage voiced, to really hot pickups with ceramic magnets.
That is something I'm going to have to find out. I know that Hamer has a special wind for their SD P90s, but I can tell you the bridge pup has a lot of treble that can really cut through. But Hamer uses 500k audio taper pots and it has very large tonal range. When the neck pup is rolled downed, like I said, makes Clapton's woman tone sound almost butch. But with tone at 10 even the neck has bite.

I may check the hamerfanclub forum on this.

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
Robert1950 said:
Drove from East of Toronto to Oakville and bought me a Hamer P90 Special. Brought my Gibson GA-5 5w amp along to test it. Bonded in less than a minute. Felt just right, sounded just right. With the neck pickup on, and the tone rolled right back, it made Clapton's woman tone sound butch. Bridge pup with tone up - nice snarl. Have got more fooling around to to do.

This axe, a hard shell case - $500.00 Cdn. - When I told the guy I was going to offer $450, but then I thought it was worth the $500. he threw in a Vox Pathfinder 15R !!!

I have a Marshall MG15CD SS amp too, and this VOX blows the Marshall totally away. Talk about bonus.

Add 3 hours time, 200km return trip and $15 in gas - this was a KILLER DEAL !

I saw that one advertised! I was shocked at the price. If I had ANY money (damn Xmas shopping) I would have jumped on it. Congrads. That was one of the few REALLY good deals I have seen.

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
torndownunit said:
I saw that one advertised! I was shocked at the price. If I had ANY money (damn Xmas shopping) I would have jumped on it. Congrads. That was one of the few REALLY good deals I have seen.
Yeah. I'm still in reality check mode with this. The bonus amp is like new - and the street price for a Pathfinder around $165. And I'm actually using it. The Marshall MG15CD, that has been used once in the last six months, is going back in the box.

Excuse me while I'll do another reality check here. :banana:

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
IMO the Pathfinder 15R is one of the best solid state amps ever. I have one and prefer it to any of the Vox modeling amps or the VR series that was originally supposed to replace it. I am selling mine soon, but only because I have too many amps. I used to even use it for full on jams with my band plugged into an extension cabinet.

But ya, nowadays with eBay being around for pricing items it's rare that you find someone selling something that low. It's a crazy deal.

My only great find so far was on Kijiji, and it was a 90's Danelectro RI. Not only was it only $100, but they were selling it to raise funds for an autism association so I got a tax reciept as well.

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
CalgaryTerry said:
According to someone on the Hamer Fan Club Site, the neck is an SP90-2 and the bridge is an SP90-3. So the neck has small ceramic magnet and a DC res. of 11.86k and an EQ of 6/6/5. The bridge would have a large ceramic magnet, a DC res. of 14.6k and and EQ of 6/5/6

That would explain things. The bridge pup sounds like it could cut through titanium steel, but without the ice pick effect. And the bite in neck pup with the tone at 10. But like I said before the tone pot has amazing range so I can get settings I like easily.

The neck pup is currently my favourite.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice Deal

Nice guitar. Glad to see you got such a good deal.

I agree with you on the Vox. When I was looking for a practice amp, I searched for months trying out different amps with Marshall being one of the amps I tried. With and without distortion I found the Vox kicked and gave me more than the other amps. I have had both SS and tubes in the past and found that for an SS the Vox had it all for me. I use it all the time now and go direct when playing. It looks kind of funny to see this little Vox pathfinder 10 sitting up amongst all these other amps, but it sounds great.

Congrats man.:rockon2: :DevilGuitar:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts