The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who bought a PRS Silver Sky? If so- what are your thoughts and feelings about the guitar? Would love to have some actual players feedback.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read somewhere that it "may be the best strat ever produced" but another friend didn't like them- but he's more of a shred player.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
I read somewhere that it "may be the best strat ever produced" but another friend didn't like them- but he's more of a shred player.
Phil, I saw that the guitar shop has 2 white ones in stock. I also think Cosmo may have them. As you know this will be the best test for you. For me, it's the silky smooth strat I've always wanted. But it's not a Fender Stratocaster. It's hard to nail down in words. What isn't in question anymore is whether it's a great guitar - it is!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
First thing I thought was it needed a compound neck and taller frets. A guy on TGP has now modified his that way and loves it. He got shredded by the forumites though. Great video Tim.

·
Premium Member
17,350 Posts
I think it's as close to buying a '64 or whatever it was modeled after, without paying that kind of money.

I'd love to try one.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
John Mayer- can probably make any guitar sound good- but man - those are grail- strat tones......

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
I played one at Cosmo and it was impressive. I was able to compare it to the American Original 60s and it was a pretty close thing. I’d have to play them for a longer time in order to decide. The Am Org 60s and 50s both impressed me a lot.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's the tones he's getting- some of the best I have ever heard in every position and that's a stock guitar he says.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
you are super happy with it? how about the vintage frets?
I am SUPER happy with it. I made that video over a month ago but nothing has really changed for me. It solves all the tonal problems I've always had with strats. As far as the neck is concerned - on paper I would have told you I'd hate this neck. I really love it. The frets aren't vintage - my 66 NOS Strat had vintage frets and so does my buddy's 52 AVRI Tele. The Silver Sky frets are MUCH taller than those two guitars. Somehow I like them anyway. The radius doesn't bug me either. The neck shape is PERFECT.

I played one at Cosmo and it was impressive. I was able to compare it to the American Original 60s and it was a pretty close thing. I’d have to play them for a longer time in order to decide. The Am Org 60s and 50s both impressed me a lot.
funny enough I was at my local L&M and grabbed a 60's Original almost by accident to plug into the new Vox AC30s1. I was really impressed by the sounds there actually. It was a really quick demo so I'd have to go back and play the Fender more but I'd be shocked if all the pickup positions are as balanced and usable as on the SS. I'm going to guess the bridge pickup is a traditional strat bridge which means it's virtually useless without help. As you hear on my video above, the SS bridge is quite good but doesn't compromise the 2 position either. I'd also be shocked if the Fenders are coming off the line as consistently as the SS.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Hey Tim,

How are you running the Kemper (which model, stompboxes?). I like the ambient tones you were getting. I am a big fan of Fractal stuff and contemplating a toaster....
Hey @Alex - I typically run the Kemper with just the remote...but that’s in a situation where I’m playing 5 songs at a time that have a standard/known arrangement. The only down side to this rig is the same as what I found with the AxeII - tweaking on the fly is annoying. Tweaking at your desk is no sweat though.

The Kemper amp sounds are better to me than the Axe or Helix. The effects are very good too and I’m happy just using the stomps/effects in the Kemper. If you like those ambient tones I think you’ll LOVE what’s coming in the fall. 12 new reverbs that rival the Big Sky.

Can’t say enough good thsings about it as a direct tool. Nothing better IMO. I still have an analog rig I prefer if I can play it at volume...different tools for different things.

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
Although I took a certain perspective on this it still might be helpful

Hey Tim,

How are you running the Kemper (which model, stompboxes?). I like the ambient tones you were getting. I am a big fan of Fractal stuff and contemplating a toaster....
Hey @Alex - I typically run the Kemper with just the remote...but that’s in a situation where I’m playing 5 songs at a time that have a standard/known arrangement. The only down side to this rig is the same as what I found with the AxeII - tweaking on the fly is annoying. Tweaking at your desk is no sweat though.

The Kemper amp sounds are better to me than the Axe or Helix. The effects are very good too and I’m happy just using the stomps/effects in the Kemper. If you like those ambient tones I think you’ll LOVE what’s coming in the fall. 12 new reverbs that rival the Big Sky.

Can’t say enough good thsings about it as a direct tool. Nothing better IMO. I still have an analog rig I prefer if I can play it at volume...different tools for different things.
Are you running a powered Kemper via a cab or powered speakers like in your video?

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Hey Tim,

Are you running a powered Kemper via a cab or powered speakers like in your video?
Live I use quality in-ears. I’ve used FRFR and the Line 6 Powercab (head to my YouTube channel for a video comparison of those). However, If you’re looking for the “Amp in the room” tones my hunch these days is a powered Kemper using direct profiles (no cab info burned in) and a real guitar speaker is your best option.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts