The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
It looks very much like a PRS to me. It ain't silver either.

·
Premium Member
16,795 Posts
I come to these threads to post that DC3's exist.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I remember trying out a PRS Strat almost 30 years ago.
EG-3 was the model name. 1990 or so.
It was a strat. No more no less.
And then, as Budda mentioned, they tried the DC3.
I guess you have to try to offer something to all segments of the market these days.

·
Yo.
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See, with DC3's, PRS could say it's their interpretation of a strat. And yes, it's strat-esque. However, the pickguard and control layout are original. The Silver Sky on the other hand... I'll give it the beveled lower horn. To say the Silver Sky is PRS through and through is stretching that considerably.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
This guitar is more Mayer's request than a PRS initiative though is it not ?
From what I can gather,he had some sort of endorsement disagreement with Fender and asked PRS to make him this guitar.
The only thing that looks PRS about it is the headstock,and it has been reversed .

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I know pretty much squat about PRS, but it's got me interest. It sure doesn't SOUND like a Strat, that's for sure. I made copious notes as well, if that means anything.

- 4 colors I like the look of the Tungsten one
- Scoop lower bout PRS color accent.... haha
- locking tuners w/ Brass bushings
- Plate steel bridge, saddles, and block
- Flush not floating bridge
- Threadless trem arm with set screw for adjustment
- Bone Nut
- Backwards PRS headstock
- 635JM neck shape
- no back plate
- rosewood fingerboard

What do the PRS fans think? Sure doesn't sound like a Fender. Has a different character.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Sounds fuller and richer than what I've heard from Fender. Seems to have a different underlying tonality. That's just my impression from 1 video though. I have a feeling it may not feel the same as a Strat neither, but I have no personal experience. Just an initial impression. What's yours?

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
It it works better than a strat of equal value, well, then good.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Sounds fuller and richer than what I've heard from Fender. Seems to have a different underlying tonality. That's just my impression from 1 video though. I have a feeling it may not feel the same as a Strat neither, but I have no personal experience. Just an initial impression. What's yours?
It sounds just like a strat. John Mayer wouldn't have it any other way.
I think your placebo is hard at work here

1 - 20 of 152 Posts