The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

PRS Guitars McCarty 594

I like the stoptail, not 100% sold on the upper horn switch (placement makes sense, but just like on an LP it might get hit).

I believe our very own Alex had one of these not too long ago.

Thoughts, opinions?

Reactions: twoonie2

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,250 Posts
The thing I always love most about a McCarty was the wiring and swith placement. Visually I prefer the wrap around bridge as well. I'm sure the quality is great and it plays as well as any PRS, but this one isn't going to give me GAS.

·
Premium Member
17,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing I always love most about a McCarty was the wiring and swith placement. Visually I prefer the wrap around bridge as well. I'm sure the quality is great and it plays as well as any PRS, but this one isn't going to give me GAS.
I like the 4-knob layout - blending volumes (and push pull in this case too) really opens things up sometimes. It's just that upper switch... take away the bottom knob and give it 2V-1T + toggle in that cluster and I think it would improve visually. No issue with the stop bar on my end.

·
Premium Member
13,166 Posts
I've always imagined my ideal guitar - a strat that sounds like a les paul. Now this is definitely much closer.

Would prefer the 3-way in the same position as 335 though.

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
if you meant me, I have not owned this model. I am intrigued by the 594 but I thought they were only available as a Private Stock. One critique I've heard of the two piece bridge is that it adds quite a bit of brightness and given the double cutaway, that may not appeal to me. I have the same 58/15 pups in a DC245/DGT and they are really nice. I also like the Les Paul configuration and electronics.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Beautiful and great sounding guitar. Maybe it's time to let go of some of my guitars.

·
Premium Member
17,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, the production model won't be $13K :p

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,250 Posts
I like the 4-knob layout - blending volumes (and push pull in this case too) really opens things up sometimes. It's just that upper switch... take away the bottom knob and give it 2V-1T + toggle in that cluster and I think it would improve visually. No issue with the stop bar on my end.
I have a love hate relationship with the idea.....I like having separate volume controls, but not enough to have the selector in such a shitty spot. Which is why I dont get along wih Les Pauls well, smashing the switch unintentionally so often. As for moving the selector somewhere else, the reason I dont like SGs and LP Specials is the knobs and the selector are too close together. In the grand scheme I have never really found 2 tone controls useful anyway, so losing a volume know was a good compromise for me. DGTs are a great set up in that regard I guess

Reactions: sulphur

·
Registered
12,089 Posts
That's a limited run guitar on Reverb.

Great looking guitar, but I find the switch placement to just look awkward.
I don't mind the LP setup and don't find myself striking the switch at all, it just looks weird to me.
I also don't utilize the dual volume knobs enough on an LP to warrant that setup.

I'd prefer a master tone and the switch down there with the knobs.

It took me a bit of getting used to with the McCarty I have, as far as switch placement.
Using that and the CE22 with the same configuration in the band though, I like it now.

I'm not crazy about the SGs control layout either.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
while I prefer switch placement there...it looks out of place...
I rarely, and really only once in years, have hit the switch by accident in that location
I like dual controls...it expands the tonal options...
for instance...one cover tune we've added to our set is Sam Roberts 'I Feel You' .. slam the fuzz on with the neck pickup and tone rolled completely off for this nice woofy tone, then switch to the bridge quick for the chorus with a normal tone setting...

back to the guitar...I like the idea of these options...but the stop bar looks weird...along with the switch placement...

I guess I'm just an SC245/Tremonti PRS guy

·
A Nice Man
325 Posts
Always dug the look and feel of PRSs, but between keeping up with responsibilities and my girlfriend's health problems, I've yet to be able to afford one.
Kinda dig this one; beautiful lumber, great, golden finish. but I'm not sure there's enough "meat" in the lower bout for the stopbar to look QUITE right, and the same goes for the upper horn as far as the toggle's concerned. I like independent volume and tone controls, but I'd settle for a Peavey HP Signature-style knob layout on this for the sake of aesthetics.

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
what the heck are you guys doing that you're accidentally hitting the pick up selector all the time there? in my whole life i've never done that a single time. are you doing the pete twnshend thing or what?

L

·
0 Posts
There's too much stuff on there.
It takes away from that beautiful top.
I prefer the wrap around on a PRS and less knobs.

The selector switch doesn't look right on the horn.

·
Premium Member
17,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what the heck are you guys doing that you're accidentally hitting the pick up selector all the time there? in my whole life i've never done that a single time. are you doing the pete twnshend thing or what?
Generally I make bigger movements for the easier parts. My hand will be rooted for tremolo picking parts but if it's a slow couple of hits then yeah I'm gonna swing haha.

Edit: I don't mean Townsend windmill but basically punching towards the strings.

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
the distance from the space between the pickups and the switch has gotta be what? 4"-5" ? those are some big movements! hahaha

1 - 20 of 24 Posts