The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got 2011 MC-58 with 57/08 pickups in it.

Acoustically the guitar is amazing, everything vibrates like crazy.
Put your ear up to the neck and strum a chord and it’s warm with lots of midrange and glassy highs.

The thing is I just can’t seem to get along with it plugged in...
I’ve been trying for about a year.

Yes it’s 3D sounding , cleans are nice , light crunch nice. Any more gain and it just seems to fall apart. Like it’s too unfocused. There is no chewy crunch.
It also has this metallic quality that really comes out with high gain.

I do like the older McCarty pickups but already have a couple other guitars with them. (SAS and another McCarty)
Anyone experience this with the 57/08 pickups ?
Any other suggestions for this model ( McCarty ) ??

·
Premium Member
16,829 Posts
I like the 5*'s. Have you messed with pickup height?

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Budda, Yes I’ve messed with height a number of times,
I usually like pickups further away but the 57/08’s sound better (to me) when very close. More of the mids come through.
Still I struggle to like them with any more than mid level gain.

Dave,
I have been wondering about the Godwoods.
Good experience in PRS guitars?

·
Administrator
15,983 Posts
Budda, Yes I’ve messed with height a number of times,
I usually like pickups further away but the 57/08’s sound better (to me) when very close. More of the mids come through.
Still I struggle to like them with any more than mid level gain.

Dave,
I have been wondering about the Godwoods.
Good experience in PRS guitars?
I had a set of his "Shredders" in a Cu24 that were awesome. They were a custom wind set that he made for RS Guitarworks years ago and were something of a misnomer, not a high gain pick. I still have a Godwood/Darkburst pair in my LP Std, they've been in there for years and will never leave it.

I'm in London so if you would ever like to check them out pm me and we can figure something out. It's not a McCarty but will give you a sense of how they sound. Jim is also a very easy guy to talk to if you want his advice.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Most people seem to love 57/08's, I have one in the bridge on my Studio, love it. Was even thinking of putting them in my Mira

1 - 8 of 8 Posts