The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have followed these guitars for several years. Have never owned one but have played a few and must admit they are a nicely made guitar, build quility and hardware. Balance was fantastic. But the price? Especially for the so-called "10" top, which in the early days really meant something, but today seems to be applied much to frequently and without justification.

Some of their private stock guitars are magnificent, to look at but you would never dare play it. I have noticed though that the pricing on all of them have been dropping. Forget the SE models, I am speaking of the US made guitars. So the question is, would you now put down $2200 on a PRS that 3 years ago would maybe have set you back $3500 ? I have seen "10" tops with birds for as low as $1700

Clearly they were overpriced for some time compared to other guitars with similar build quality and hardware. Granted, the design and balance on the PRS is great IMO.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Where have you seen 10 tops for 1700$ Thats asteal man. Long and mcquade sell them for 3995+tax. I bought one two years ago from the states for 3100cdn after brokerage fees and everything. I got a custom 24 10 top with tremelo and bird inlays

·
Premium Member
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imbackagain2 said:
Where have you seen 10 tops for 1700$ Thats asteal man. Long and mcquade sell them for 3995+tax. I bought one two years ago from the states for 3100cdn after brokerage fees and everything. I got a custom 24 10 top with tremelo and bird inlays
They are all over eBay now. You can find plenty of deals. Same as anything else, someone will need the cash. Again, some of these guitars that are rated as a "10" are no better than some guitars half the price. You have to be careful today. The first few years they were in production a "10" top was something special.

·
Premium Member
17,734 Posts
In my opinion paying a premium for ANY brand to get an aesthetically superior top which will have little to no impact on sound and certainly no impact on function is a waste of money.

That doesn't mean this is so for others, but I buy or assemble guitars to sound and play a certain way.

To me they are tools, not pieces of fine furnature.

If you can save $1000. to get the same guitar with a less ornate flame or quilt.....why the hell would you spend the money?

Maybe I'm a bit over the top on this, but do you buy a painting because of how it sounds?

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
I think they are very good guitars for sure, but I dont think they are really above everyother guitar. I think they are very durable guitars. The one I have withstood many years of touring by Clint dude in Sevendust, and he plays his guitars hard. I dont think a budget guitar would take that kind of punishment, but I do believe that anytime you get a good guitar it will. I'll be the first to say you get what you pay for, but I think PRS do have a bit of inflation on their prices due to them being the guitar of the moment. Back in the 80s when Kramer was the brand of the moment, they too were overpriced a bit, but then they quickly became worthless for a number of years. I dont see the same thing happening with PRS, as they are in fact well made guitars, and they arent really associated with anything that might take them down with them. The biggest debate on PRS value is the whole 70s era versus 80s era, versus pre95 era. Alot of people believe that the guitars made before 1995 are the ones to get. So, you might find that prices on later oners are where the good deals are..............

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I have to agree about the 10 top thing. What they consider a 10 top is ridiculous. My CU24 is a so called 10 top and IMO it isn't. The retailer I bought it from talked to the supplier at the time and got him to knock off the 10 top value from the guitar. They took a picture and sent it to PRS indicating what took place. Now I doubt PRS does anything with that information.

I guess what it all boils down to is good wood is getting harder and harder to find these days. Which explains those comercials on Spike TV.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've had the pleasure to play a few, and I was impressed. But the price tag was insane. I did have a chance at a whale blue Custom 24 a couple of years ago for an insane (at the time) deal, but I just couldn't justify it (ir was still more than an LP custom at the time).

In my opinion a PRS was a pretty serious status symbol up to 4 or 5 years ago. It was one of those guitars that only real players owned, and not a lot of "laymen" knew a whole lot about them. Lately though every young guitarist in pretty much any new pop/rock/neo-metal band is playing them. I think PRS has lost some of it's charm as a result. It's great that a small boutique type maker has done so well, but the mystique is gone now.

Just my opinion of course. :)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I bought a gold top Singlecut from the 12th Fret (in Toronto) last summer. I have always loved the PRS's since seeing them hanging in Steve's in TO when Iw as at university in the late 80's/early 90's... and finally was in the position to get one last year. I paid about $2600 with tax & shipping. A fair price at the time vs what they were selling for on ebay.

It is cetainly one of, if not my favourite guitar. I love the wide fat neck, it feels like nothing else. The other guitarist in our band has a nice early 2000's LEs Paul he paid about $3500 for, and he thinks my PRS is a nicer guitar (I think so too :) ) although I love the LP as well.

I wouldnt part with mine - and dont regret the $$ I paid. Its a player, and I dont baby it. But man, it sounds great and stays in tune - always!

AJC

·
Registered
526 Posts
I had a standard 22 for awhile (traded sg classic for it). I just couldn't get into it at all. from the tone to the feel it didn't work for me.

·
Premium Member
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Emohawk said:
I've had the pleasure to play a few, and I was impressed. But the price tag was insane. I did have a chance at a whale blue Custom 24 a couple of years ago for an insane (at the time) deal, but I just couldn't justify it (ir was still more than an LP custom at the time).

In my opinion a PRS was a pretty serious status symbol up to 4 or 5 years ago. It was one of those guitars that only real players owned, and not a lot of "laymen" knew a whole lot about them. Lately though every young guitarist in pretty much any new pop/rock/neo-metal band is playing them. I think PRS has lost some of it's charm as a result. It's great that a small boutique type maker has done so well, but the mystique is gone now.

Just my opinion of course. :)
Yes indeed, the mystique has faded and like I said, if you sniff around you can get down into the $1700 to $2000 range on a post 1995 non "10" top... which IMO is not losing too much

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
The real wacko ones are the ones you see for $20,000+. Its like the buyers are paying up front for vintage appreciation..............

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah those are rediculously priced but the detail on the fret inlays is crazy. Obviously tons of time spent on creating them. However I would never pay that for an axe that im gonna beat the shit out of and play

·
Registered
76 Posts
Prs

What I find interesting about PRS guitars is the common usage. These are beautiful, well made instruments to be sure. People swear by them. Yet, the overwhelming application for these instruments are in genres that as heavily processed and distorted as guitar gets. While I'm sure that there are more than a few jazz, country and blues playes using these instruments, whenever you see one on TV, it's being blasted through a stack of amps, a tube streamer and any number of affects.

Given that I can make a $500.00 Ibanez sound as good as a $3000.00 PRS under the circumstances described above, what is there to entice me into forking out for the PRS? Collectability? Maybe. Sound and playability? No sir!

That said, I have played PRS's, in particular the hollow bodied ones, through clean amps and they sound lovely. But, not more lovely that a dozen other guitars at a third of the price.

I guess I just don't see what the fuss is about.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
I wouldnt have any faith in a $500 guitar lasting that long if you toured with it..............

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've used my 500 dollar mij tele regularly (touring and all) for 17 years now...only thing different than the day I bought it is the lil 59er in the bridge and strap locks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Prs

I was in the market for a guitar last year and was dabbling with the idea of getting a PRS. First up a McCarty Hollow Body, really like them. Later I was day dreaming wondering how it might sound with a set of 57 Classics in place. Give your head a shake! You want to spend $3000+ on a guitar and them flip the pups! Axe that idea. A month or so later I was really keen on getting a McCarty Soapbar- $1800 used and it needed a fret job. :confused: Then I came across a Les Paul Special with a slightly beat up finish for $825.:D Soapbar what Soapbar?
Have you seen the price tag on a PRS 513? :eek: :eek:
We're talking $5000+. I was born, but it was not yesterday.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Lets keep it civil

"That's why you're a computer consultant"?

ImBackAgain2, lets keep it civil, shall we? If you don't have something constructive to add to the discussion, perhaps you should keep your comments to yourself.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 33 Posts