The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PRS BUILDS ROCKING TROPHY FOR THE CHEVY ROCK & ROLL 400 AT RICHMOND INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY

(Stevensville, MD) August 31, 2006 – Paul Reed Smith Guitars, Ltd. has accepted a return invitation from Chevy and the Richmond International Raceway to custom build another guitar trophy for this year’s Chevy Rock & Roll 400 race in Richmond, VA on September 9th. This year marks the second year that PRS Guitars has partnered with Chevy and the raceway to offer a unique, highly appointed trophy featuring a fully functional PRS guitar.

Last year, PRS Guitars enlivened the Rock & Roll theme of the Rock & Roll 400 NASCAR race when Chevy asked PRS to join them for the event. PRS enthusiastically handcrafted a race trophy, unlike any other, and made their presence felt, especially with the NEXTEL Cup drivers.

Chevy Rock & Roll 400 2005 winner Kurt Busch said, “As soon as I jumped out of the car in victory lane, I noticed the trophy and asked one of the race officials if that was the one I actually got to take home. I couldn't believe it! It's just a really cool trophy - very unique. It definitely stands out from all the others. And it’s the first time I've ever known exactly where I was going to put the trophy the moment I saw it. The trophy definitely is a piece of art. I was cleaning some of the champagne off of it the other night at home, and I started playing the guitar a little bit. I don't know how to play at all, but maybe I can learn a thing or two.”

“In a way, it’s tough when your first album goes platinum. The fans have high expectations for the second album. That’s kind of how we feel,” stated Jack Higginbotham, President of PRS Guitars. This year’s trophy will be along a similar theme.

The 2006 trophy is even more appointed than last year’s, taking more than three months complete. Designed and painted to match this year’s pace car, the trophy measures over four feet tall and incorporates a custom PRS Chevy guitar engulfed in polished aluminum flames, seated atop a mahogany and maple pedestal. In collaboration with Baltimore metal sculptor Karl Saar, the PRS design team (Paul Miles, Bill Oertel and Don Close) have put forth countless hours to bring this trophy to life. Its estimated retail value is $20,000. PRS and Richmond International Raceway will unveil the trophy on Friday September 8, 2006 at the track’s Media Center.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts