The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried one? What did you think? I’ve been a Gibson guy for years, just recently thinking of picking one up but no stores in my area stock PRS.

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
Generally, I like PRS products. Never owned one but used borrowed ones and tried lots in the shops. They balance better for me on the lap or strap, sound great, look great, and the QC hasn't failed yet.

·
Premium Member
16,825 Posts
They are awesome. Maple necks and bolt on add a little something. Where are you located?

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
I played a used CE22 at the 12th Fret last year that I wish I’d bought. It was a really nice guitar to play and sounded good, too. I went back the following week and it had already sold.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I've got an older PRS CE-24 from 1992 and it's my favourite guitar. Smooth playing, nice sound and action. I'm sure the newer models should be just as good.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,112 Posts
Very consistent product, if you know someone with one, try it. If you like it there's a 99% chance you'll like what you order.

·
Registered
11,830 Posts
I had an older model too from '93, it was a really nice guitar.
It had the wide/thin neck and I think the alder body.

No experience with the new ones though, I'm sure that they're a nice build.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I have owned a couple of PRS guitars, don't remember what the first one was, the second was a DGT that I traded for an amp I had to have. I bought used and they were both amazing guitars, although I had to set up the DGT. I will own another DGT.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Fredericton NB, I can order one through L&M here but they don’t stock PRS
L & M have a good return policy, so as long as you return it in the same condition as you received it there would be no problem returning it if you didn't like it for some reason. I have never owned one for the simple reason that the necks are too small for me but there is very little negative comments here about PRS.

You could also have one shipped to Houlton, ME from MF, Sweetwater, etc. and go and pick it up but you would have to pay return shipping if you didn't like it. The price would be better than L & M, though.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
L & M have a good return policy, so as long as you return it in the same condition as you received it there would be no problem returning it if you didn't like it for some reason. I have never owned one for the simple reason that the necks are too small for me but there is very little negative comments here about PRS.

You could also have one shipped to Houlton, ME from MF, Sweetwater, etc. and go and pick it up but you would have to pay return shipping if you didn't like it. The price would be better than L & M, though.
Thanks! The neck profile was my only concern being a Gibson guy. I’ve used L&M’s return policy on a few occasions, I think I'm going to order one and give it a try!

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
Thanks! The neck profile was my only concern being a Gibson guy. I’ve used L&M’s return policy on a few occasions, I think I'm going to order one and give it a try!
Which Gibson neck profile do you prefer?

PRS lists the dimensions of their different neck profiles here: PRS Customer Support Center | Neck Profiles

Gibson has the specs on their website for most models, although there is always a bit of variation with Gibson necks, so you have to take them as more of a guideline. PRS seems to be more consistent with neck profiles, from what I’ve seen/felt.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Ive got an LP Std and an SG Std - both with the 50's baseball bat necks. I bought a 2003 PRS CU22 several months ago. I have no problems moving from the Gibbys to the PRS. My thoughts so far is that the PRS (mine anyway) won't out-strat a strat or out-LP an LP, but it is capable of coming close in both instances and that makes it a great guitar to strap on for a gig - you never have to worry if you've got the right axe. Plus it's very comfy and very pretty.

·
Premium Member
4,272 Posts
Ive got an LP Std and an SG Std - both with the 50's baseball bat necks. I bought a 2003 PRS CU22 several months ago. I have no problems moving from the Gibbys to the PRS. My thoughts so far is that the PRS (mine anyway) won't out-strat a strat or out-LP an LP, but it is capable of coming close in both instances and that makes it a great guitar to strap on for a gig - you never have to worry if you've got the right axe. Plus it's very comfy and very pretty.
I think I tend to pick up the Strats more as most of my playing is from the seated position. The Strats are just more comfortable to balance on your leg. The round body style of the PRS and Gibson are more suited to standing.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm rather fond of my PRS CE24 reclaimed limited... It has all the contemporary CE hardware & appointments though it's a semi-hollowbody and made of some rather exotic woods... That said, the hardware is top notch all around as far as I can tell, and I've really no complaints though I would have preferred a hardcase to the gigbag it came with (though I have plenty of PRS hardcases and never leave the house with more than 3 guitars so it's not really an issue)... I'll admit that I've grudgingly come to accept that the 85/15 pickups are a little hotter than I prefer (57/08s are my favorites) but variety is the spice of life, right? :)

Anyway, PRS are very consistent in their excellent quality control; so long as you can return it if you just can't bond with it, I wouldn't hesitate to have L&M order one for you...

·
Premium Member
4,272 Posts
I'm rather fond of my PRS CE24 reclaimed limited... It has all the contemporary CE hardware & appointments though it's a semi-hollowbody and made of some rather exotic woods... That said, the hardware is top notch all around as far as I can tell, and I've really no complaints though I would have preferred a hardcase to the gigbag it came with (though I have plenty of PRS hardcases and never leave the house with more than 3 guitars so it's not really an issue)... I'll admit that I've grudgingly come to accept that the 85/15 pickups are a little hotter than I prefer (57/08s are my favorites) but variety is the spice of life, right? :)

Anyway, PRS are very consistent in their excellent quality control; so long as you can return it if you just can't bond with it, I wouldn't hesitate to have L&M order one for you...
I love mine. It's light, looks fantastic and the the coil tap adds a new sound dimension. I just wish mine had wood with nail holes and such. The one I got was in perfect condition.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts