The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody playing these? Are they any good? I know the quality will be good but what about the sound? What's a decent used price for one? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,157 Posts
A decent price is going to be the same or a little more than a custom 24 - the 513 is harder to come by.

Its the same feel as a custom but with the middle single coil and extra toggle. My old teacher has one - its like any other good PRS, just more sound options.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Anybody playing these? Are they any good? I know the quality will be good but what about the sound? What's a decent used price for one? Thanks.
I have one. My bands cover a wide range of genres and I grew weary bringing multiple guitars to gigs. The 513 gets me in the ballpark of single coil strat and general humbucker tones. Great guitar, fun to play and impeccable craftmanship. It's a used 2008 (10 top) that I picked up last year for 2.5k. However, I still prefer my Strats and Gibbys for their tones. The 513 is it's own animal but like I said, it gets me in the ballpark of what I need it to sound like. And saves switching guitars between songs and less to haul. To sum up, I'm quite satisfied with it.

20161030_152130.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
I found the tones a bit light for my liking, however, if you play with a lot of effects or high gain, it is a good fit. No options for pickup replacements as well if you are not keen on the pups.

I am curious about the 509 which apparently combines the best of the 408 and 513 models.

·
Premium Member
12,184 Posts
I have one. My bands cover a wide range of genres and I grew weary bringing multiple guitars to gigs. The 513 gets me in the ballpark of single coil strat and general humbucker tones. Great guitar, fun to play and impeccable craftmanship. It's a used 2008 (10 top) that I picked up last year for 2.5k. However, I still prefer my Strats and Gibbys for their tones. The 513 is it's own animal but like I said, it gets me in the ballpark of what I need it to sound like. And saves switching guitars between songs and less to haul. To sum up, I'm quite satisfied with it.
I'm kind of an equipment slut. I enjoy using multiple guitars at a gig (usually only two though - gotta keep it manageable). I look forward to changing guitars at certain points in the evening and enjoying the variety. Not to mention having a spare for the time every 6 years or so that I break a string at a gig. I even enjoy 'the ritual choosing' that happens as I'm thinking about the gig and right up to loading my car.

But I can also see how a 'swiss army knife' is appealing. I tried that with a 'bucker loaded Tele, but it didn't pan out. Then I realized it was a chase I didn't even want to be on.

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
I'm kind of an equipment slut. I enjoy using multiple guitars at a gig (usually only two though - gotta keep it manageable). I look forward to changing guitars at certain points in the evening and enjoying the variety. Not to mention having a spare for the time every 6 years or so that I break a string at a gig. I even enjoy 'the ritual choosing' that happens as I'm thinking about the gig and right up to loading my car.

But I can also see how a 'swiss army knife' is appealing. I tried that with a 'bucker loaded Tele, but it didn't pan out. Then I realized it was a chase I didn't even want to be on.
i waffle on this - some days i like dragging 2 guitars to rehearsal and sometimes, it's just convenient having my PRS on work duties. Although i sold it my trusted PRS, fear not as i have something in the hopper....;)

·
Premium Member
12,184 Posts
i waffle on this - some days i like dragging 2 guitars to rehearsal and sometimes, it's just convenient having my PRS on work duties. Although i sold it my trusted PRS, fear not as i have something in the hopper....;)
I'm shocked - not so much. ;)

I usually only take one guitar to practice. I used to practice 12 feet below my living room, but now it's across the river (new band). So I leave my DRRI with an AB box and o/d pedal there (for a two channel solution - I nearly sold my DRRI and so glad I didn't now, just a killer amp for that clean tone). I take one of my smaller pedal boards and one guitar, but usually a different guitar each week because it's just practice and an opportunity to experiment.

For gigs though, I'm taking so much crap, including PA and monitoring equipment, what the hell, one more guitar won't kill me.

Reactions: Alex

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Even with the 513, I still drag 2 other guitars (sometimes 3) with me. I have one as backup, and other is usually set to open tuning. and a third would be acoustic or 12 string. I like a tight set with as little dead air as possible, so I try to keep guitar tuning/switches down to a minimum. The 513 helps that somewhat. On gigs, if I could afford a guitar tech, I'd bring as many guitars, as I could fit, making switching effortless and quick. But alas, my pay grade isn't at that point. LOL

·
Registered
729 Posts
I miss my 513 Rosewood (I believe it was the first one sold in Canada, pre-ordered by L&M at NAMM when they were announced).
It was a stunning guitar. Braz rosewood neck. I parted with it in a deal to get a PRS Private Stock. Given the same choice today, I'd do it again, but I still miss the 513. It was a joy to play.
ST

1 - 12 of 12 Posts