The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone intimately familiar with this? It's a cool idea, I'm wondering if any aftermarket pickup builders have anything like that.

Here's what I'm really after: A humbucker with a coil tap switch that sounds good in either position. For my purposes that means, in the bridge position, the output would have to be around 7k in single coil mode and around 9k as a humbucker. If you just used a normal 9k 4 wire humbucker and wired a standard coil tap, (assuming matched coils) you'd only have a 4.5k single coil.. too weak.

What if the tapped coil had the right number of extra wire wraps waiting on standby that would be switched ON when toggled into single-coil mode to bring it up to 7k total (sort of like what the PRS 513 does, right?) That is a product I would buy right now.. does anyone make it?

I

·
0 Posts
Is anyone intimately familiar with this? It's a cool idea, I'm wondering if any aftermarket pickup builders have anything like that.
PRS holds a patent on that specific selector/pickup layout.

Here's what I'm really after: A humbucker with a coil tap switch that sounds good in either position. For my purposes that means, in the bridge position, the output would have to be around 7k in single coil mode and around 9k as a humbucker. If you just used a normal 9k 4 wire humbucker and wired a standard coil tap, (assuming matched coils) you'd only have a 4.5k single coil.. too weak.
I've always liked is a Duncan JB for the bridge and a Dragon II for the neck. Both tap extremely well and paired together make a killer, versatile combination. My PRS is currently set up with this configuration and the 5-way never presents me with a bad combination.

What if the tapped coil had the right number of extra wire wraps waiting on standby that would be switched ON when toggled into single-coil mode to bring it up to 7k total (sort of like what the PRS 513 does, right?) That is a product I would buy right now.. does anyone make it?
I have a late 80's Schecter that has single coils with a tap that removes active windings from the pickups when you pull it out. You might have to get a custom pickup manufacturer like Fralin or Lollar to wind you up humbuckers that do this. Doesn't seem like it'd be impossible to do though. Just expensive.

Incidentally, I hadn't realized the 513 changes the number of available windings when you switch things around. I thought it just rotated through a ton of combinations of the 5 pickups that are on the guitar. One switch flips between single coil and humbucker mode, the other between the different combinations of the three pickups.

I

·
0 Posts
I just noticed it's heavy bucking, clear bucking, and single coil sounds when you move the three way. Might be changing windings in use for sure.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I read something about it long ago but I can't seem to Google it up right now.. from what I read that's the basis for what the 513 does, switching extra wire wraps in and out of the circuit. PRS took it further with more electronic tricks like single coil hum cancellation, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Yeah, I read something about it long ago but I can't seem to Google it up right now.. from what I read that's the basis for what the 513 does, switching extra wire wraps in and out of the circuit. PRS took it further with more electronic tricks like single coil hum cancellation, etc.

That is exactly what happens. I've had a 513 since they came out and I find the switching capabilites fantastic. I'n enamoured with the singlecoil sound, but not because it is thin. Just the actual sound is a little brittle for me. I don't use the singlecoils much anyway other than the neck position. But both the humbucker tones I love.
Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts