Votes: 18 11.3%
  • COMBOS FTW!!!

Votes: 42 26.3%
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,169 Posts
apparently i already voted?!

i own a full stack, a 212 combo, and a 110? 108? bebe that is great for clean and vintage sounds.

w00t!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Where does a 5/8 stack fit into this poll?

Marshall 4101 1x12 combo with 4x12 cab.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i love half stacks! i played through an ampeg half stack for many years.

if i want one now, however, i will have to add the cost of a larger vehicle in which to lug it around.

donations?

-dh

·
Registered
526 Posts
played through 4x12s for years. my favorite was my marshall 1960ax. beautiful.
but....I got rid of them all. play through a head and 2x12 now. no need for a 4x12.

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
I use twelve 4 X 12 cabs in the smaller clubs. I haul them to the gigs in a trailer pulled by a Hummer (or my wifes Escalade).

sdsre

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
6 outta 8 12" speakers...isn't that closer to 3/4 than 5/8?

Pedantic Paul rides again!!!!!
Sorry, it's a 1x12 combo so it's only 5 out of 8. The combo for smaller situations and the addition of the 4x12 when there is a need to peel paint.

I

·
0 Posts
As I've aged my rigs gotten smaller. I started out with a Fender head and a 4x12. Then went to a big Marshall JTM combo with 3x10" in it. And then to a Mesa head and a 2x12" and now I'm at a 1x12" and quite happy that I can fit it all into the trunk of a car now. I'm building a 1x12" extension cab for it though.

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
I used half stacks in the 80s.

These days if I was to go back to a conventional amp rig, I can't imagine using more than 2 X 12.

1 X 12 is more than adequate. If you get in a situation where you need more to hear yourself, there will likely be a good monitor rig to take care of it.

Just my opinion of course.:rockon2:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I currently have 3 half stacks, a 2x12 combo, a 1x12 combo, and a spare 2x12 cab I use with three other different amps I got lyin' around here....and probably a couple I got down there I forgot about too ! *LOL*
I am an amp slut.... :smile:

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm a combo guy. The thought of hauling head/cab ....besides I can't play that loud with groups that I'm in.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
uhhh, but where does mine fit?

A JTM60 2-12 combo with the 2-12 extension cab?

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
The irony of setting up a half stack and then putting an attenuator or power soak between the head and cab in order to be able to push it into nice overdrive is hillarious.

But to each their own.

To me what matters the most is what the audience hears out front.

In my opinion the PA is best suited to provide this and big amms on stage are counterproductive to this aim.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts