The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had to wear glasses for 49 years. On Wednesday I had prosthetic lens implanted in my right eye due to cataracts. OH GAWD, I WISH I HAD THIS DONE YEARS AGO. Even though the left eye is totally nearsighted, I can actually watch TV without glasses. I am writing this without glasses. There are minute cataracts in the left, but I don't give a shit! I want it replace ASAP. My sight has gone from 20/200 to 20/40. As an amateur photographer, I immediately noticed the difference in contrast and colour balance. Cataracts apparently disperse blues light and images can appear 500-1000K warmer.

I am now writing this thread w/o glasses, with just one good eye. I love it!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
That's great, Robert.

I can barely remember what it was like to function without glasses - been a solid 20 years or so for me now.

Here's hoping you can get something similar done on the other eye.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Good for you.

You're going to get the other eye done, right? How long did you wait for the surgery?

My mother-in-law had it done here in Korea. She waited about 2 weeks to get the first eye done (she went in to get tested for Lasik surgery, not knowing she had cataracts).

·
Premium Member
13,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had to wait about three months. In Durham Region, all eye surgeries are done at the Bowmanville Hospital. Part of the Harris corporate reorganization of hospitals a few year ago.

Anyway, this is great. I've got 20/40 vision in the right now, I'm writing this w/o glasses. Contrast is better, colour saturation better and so is colour balance. Cataracts scatter blue light and the lens can yellow a bit with age. I can see the difference - white looks white with the new lens. White looks like a warm eye shell with the left. Man, all that Photoshop I've done - colour balance is off. I'm guessing 600-1000 degrees K. You can tell I've done some photography.

The cataracts are barely noticeable in the right eye, but they are there. I don't think this surgeon likes to the second eye for at least six months unless it is really bad. I'm just bloody near-sighted as hell, that's all. I figure for the next 6-12 months, I'll get a contact for the left eye and use reading glasses.

Without glasses for the first time since 1958 - wow! :rockon2:

I guess I wrote a lot of this in the first post - memory is like my left eye - really fuzzy.

·
Premium Member
4,570 Posts
Congratulations. I have a friend who had probably the same procedure you had, he also had cataracts in both of his eyes, and he's told me almost the same things your are saying.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
had one put in my left eye about 5 yrs ago. wear reading glass because right doesn't have cataracts so doesn't qualify. It started to get fuzzy under the lense about a year ago and they zapped it to get the fogginess out from behind lense.
only thing to watch is night driving. for me anyway, my eye with the lense sees oncoming headlights as if I was looking at a kid's sparkler. can be annoying.
congratulations. amazing new technology.
cheers
Gerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts