The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...
well here is the fourth derby report of this years season....
and proof that fishing can pay more than most gigs....for some but not for us...lol

Glenn and I left and headed up to Chelmsford at 6am....and hit snow around Orillia...and it snowed all the way up to Sudbury...
the heavy part was Parry Sound area for sure..
about 1/2 way to Parry Sound we were joined on the hwy by Ratherbe and Wannabe and formed a convoy from there to the first stop which was a Tim Hortons along hwy 69....just outside of Parry Sound
gassed up my beast for a meager 1.02 a litre and hit the Hwy again bound for Chemmy...

we arrived in Chemmy about 10 am and headed straight to the derby headquarters
at Vermillion Lake...and registered ....
I knew right then the days jackpot would be a good one since I was number 413
the final total was 467 people registered....and a jackpot of 23,350. dollars

here is a shot of the enterance and the Chelmsford fish and games derby sign...

we headed it out after being inspected at the gates and made our way to one of the derby entery points....and awaited our turn for hole selection...

Both Glenn and I managed to get what we deemed as good positions in the derby area...and proceeded to set up for our 3 hour fish....
here a shot of the crowds....

I Kinda figured on it being a hard fish for this day....since a storm had passed only about 12 hours prior to the derby....and I figured it would shut down most species....for the day....and it did.....
Glenn and I threw everything we had at them including worms and maggots
assortment of jigs and live bait rigs...I had 4 rods working different line set ups and line weights througout the day....but to no avail.....
Once again not even a sniff or a nibble....

only 6 fish were caught for the day....and for those lucky people there would be a
first pick from the prize table.....

random prizes were handed out thru the entire derby....and when it was all over
there was to be an additional 25 prizes awarded for the 25 best fish caught...

most of these prizes went in a draw after those who had caught something had already claimed....
and a shot of the early bird prize ...the Argo....
man it was nice....

a shot of the big cheque

we also had the pleasure of meeting Pike Chaser for the first time as well....

all in all a fun day.....and an extremely well run derby....by Redfisher and Joel and the entire Chelmsford Crew....plus a good MC from Mctv....

Looking forward to the next time we get up to Chelmsford

from there Glenn and I said our goodbyes and proceeded to drive thru the blinding snow again in the dark this time from Sudbury to Oriilia....oh what fun.....lol

this is what I do when not playing guitar....
Auger

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I was just in a Tournament that would have paid approximately $70,000 if you caught a fish over 7lbs.

First place for the largest fish was a boat and trailer and if it was over 7lbs you got a $50,000 furniture shopping spree.

Needless to say myself and my dad never got a bite, my uncle caught a 2 pound pike. The large fish was a 5lb ling.

They had just under 800 people on the ice that day. The lake is called Jack Fish and it's just north of North Battleford, Saskatchewan.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
They had just under 800 people on the ice that day. The lake is called Jack Fish and it's just north of North Battleford, Saskatchewan.
800 people and the biggest was 5 lbs, huh? Jack Fish indeed! :tongue:

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
nine said:
800 people and the biggest was 5 lbs, huh? Jack Fish indeed! :tongue:
It was the worst fishing in history, I knew that going in, but the trip gave me a chance to visit family and thought you never know I might actually catch one.

I'm used to limiting out in 5 minutes when me and my brother fly into lakes in northern Saskatchewan. I don't mean you typical fly in, he has his own plane with skis on it, so we just point to some unreachable lake on the map and land and hammer them.

:bow: :banana:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey Jeff...Nine....
Its been like that all winter and apparently all over the place....

In the 4 derbies we have attended a total of 23 fish have been caught....

I'm used to catching decent size and qty's of fish but lately its been a bust for sure.....

Jeff the tourney you mentioned...sounds like a good one...
especially the turn out....
all the ones we do are non profit to benefit local charities...and fish and game associations etc....

we have one more coming up march 24 ...its for "KEEPING KIDS WARM"
on doe lake near Katrine....
it supplies winter clothing to street kids....
and doubles for a memorial derby for a buddy of mine who passed away last winter,,,,so there is a plaque up for grabs.....to the winner...

Auger

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey is there any way to post an mp3....I have a neat one done buy a couple of buddies called Icefish baby

Ice Fish Baby[1].mp3
here goes
Auger

·
Registered
635 Posts
auger said:
hey Jeff...Nine....
Its been like that all winter and apparently all over the place....
That sucks. It probably has to do with the wild inconsistency of the weather this winter.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I meant more about Ontario than anything else. Can't say I follow the weather in other provinces that much. :tongue:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts