The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,314 Posts
EXCELLENT!

Your voice is perfect for this song and the quality of the recording is very impressive.

Congratulations to you and all the others in your band!

Cheers

Dave

·
Administrator
15,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave.

I'm kinda disappointed in the loss of clarity going from the DAW through monitors, uploading to an MP3, and then uploading to Soundcloud. Seem to lose something every step of the way. If anyone has any tips on doing this more successfully I'd sure appreciate them.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
I have played those soundcloud games.

You can upload a wav file to soundcloud..

I upload the song and have a listen.... remix according to what is missing or overbearing in what I heard re-upload and relisten

I think that there is a reason that the mastering folks are are around

·
Administrator
15,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So I've attempted to clean this up based on some of the advice here. I applied a global EQ to the backing track, essentially to tame what i heard as a bit too bright hi-hat that was bugging me, as all I had to work with was the mp3 they sent me, as opposed to individual tracks. On the lead vocal I took away some of the fx and eliminated my double track. I then saved it as a wave file and uploaded it to Soundcloud that way. Result is a subtle difference but i think i prefer it. Thoughts?

I should probably re-record the vocal, this was just the second take and I could likely do better on the low stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fdavetcan%2Fpromises2

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
that seems to be moving in the right direction ...... one of the tricks i use on my vocal track is to apply a parametric eq with a fairly narrow notch at 1000 hz....
your vocal reminds me of murray mclaughlin
cheers
ets

·
Administrator
15,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that seems to be moving in the right direction ...... one of the tricks i use on my vocal track is to apply a parametric eq with a fairly narrow notch at 1000 hz....
your vocal reminds me of murray mclaughlin
cheers
ets
LOL, that brings back some memories. Not so much on the "Farmers Song" but maybe on "Down by the Henry Moore".

I had someone once tell me it was very "Gerry Rafferty" ish. :)

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
It was mentioned earlier, but I'll second the thought.......if at all possible, upload .wav files, not MP3's to SoundCloud. You'll notice an immediate difference as the .wav files aren't nearly as compressed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts