The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

project guitars

679 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  mhammer 
#1 ·
i got an email from Reverb the other day...it noted they had a nice Coronado Bass project bass guitar...figured i've have a look...dude wanted $1200 for the guitar...no electronics, tuners not installed...shook my head...

anyways...it re-sparked my interest in project guitars...so, i started a search for a project gibson les paul...
holy balls...there is a company selling gibson guitars, no tuners/electronics/hardware for pretty well the same price as a 'complete' LP...thats insanity...
"project les paul" Gear

well...i guess i start even lower...broken guitars...

why would you pay that price for a shell guitar...when you can spend the same money and at least get some kind of a warranty and then mod...

side note...i was in L&M saturday...they had two Gibson LP studios in wine red...one used, one new...looked exactly the same (no wear on either)...the used one was only $100 cheaper...i realize that i'm frugal...but, that $100 is worth the store warranty on the new one...

#4 ·
that place specializes in stripping new & used guitars and selling the parts. They started out doing Fenders, then they spread into Gibson as well. Usually very pricey, or at least I find them very pricey. A Fender USA neck is like $500
The sum of the parts is worth more than the whole.

#5 ·
I check their website out every once in a while. I want to work on some type of project build like that, but haven't decided what I want to start with.
I think I'm leaning more towards buying something used and trying to sell off the parts I replace.. or maybe just keep them and put them in one of those kit guitars I've always wanted to try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.