The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/...on&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

A legend of comedy, one of the true icons, and a hero for me, right up there with Richard "Lord" Buckley.

I was first introduced to Irwin Corey in 1966 or 67, by my high school friend Joel. Joel had the best stereo of anyone I knew. His grandmother worked at one of the best record shops in Montreal, and his dad had a record of Irwin Corey at the Playboy Club. Given that Joel's dad was Mordecai Richler's brother, it's not surprising that his sense of humour included those who made fun of pompous authority. From those early years, I found Corey funny as all get-out. Even into his late 90's. He was the epitome of orchestrated confusion and disorientation. If you thought Norm Crosby was funny, with his doublespeak, Corey made Crosby sound like Walter Cronkite.

Corey is perhaps best-known to many folks as the weird old guy in the movie Car Wash, whom people think has a bomb, but is really carrying a urine sample. He had an opening bit that remained as funny 5 years ago as it did 60 years earlier, largely on the strengths of his silent facial expression and range of emotions he would convey before saying a word. And, of course, the famous "two-part question". Here are both, in an old appearance on the Smothers Brothers.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts