The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: I will NEVER go back to an Epiphone electric guitar. I have the custom, and it was good, but now it just sucks. The action os horrible and the fret buzz, is KILLIN ME! I brought it in the other day, and got it back. Ya, its way better..NOT! AND...my pickups are takin the true sound of a les paul and making it a crap japan made yamaha (Acoustics are better) sounding guitar! I think I'm either gonna get the Gibson Les paul custom, Fernadez custom OR a PRS. Any advice on my guitar to get rid of the fret buzz?

Me punching the creator of Epiphone lol....:sport-smiley-002:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Sounds like it just needs a tune up.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Yep. I've owned two Epi SG 400s and they stayed in tune just fine. A set-up will probably set you right. As for pickups, you can switch them out for something higher end... as far as I'm concerned "the bones" of most Epiphones are sound... sometimes all you might want to do is upgrade some of the hardware. I've never even done that and they sound fine... and play very nicely. If on the other hand you got a base model Epiphone then that's a different story. Inferior woods, sometimes laminates... bleh.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
:mad: I will NEVER go back to an Epiphone electric guitar. I have the custom, and it was good, but now it just sucks. The action os horrible and the fret buzz, is KILLIN ME! I brought it in the other day, and got it back. Ya, its way better..NOT! AND...my pickups are takin the true sound of a les paul and making it a crap japan made yamaha (Acoustics are better) sounding guitar! I think I'm either gonna get the Gibson Les paul custom, Fernadez custom OR a PRS. Any advice on my guitar to get rid of the fret buzz?

Me punching the creator of Epiphone lol....:sport-smiley-002:
Has nothing to do with the guitar... weather along with everything else changes, so you obviously need to make adjustments accordingly. If you don't know how to setup your guitar, get a tech to show you how or read up some guides... they're all over.

Pickups... well, unless you buy a $1000+ guitar chances are you get stuck with shitty ones that need replacing, it's the way things go. For a $650 guitar you can't expect all the specs of a Gibson, and if you do then you're guaranteed to be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
11,318 Posts
Get a good set-up from a reputable luthier or tech and/or switch out some hardware. Many Epiphones have truly second rate hardware. I can't count the number of loose frets, toggles, jacks, and machine heads, I've fixed or replaced over the years. The basic chassis is probably pretty good, but the reason they're as cheap as they are is the cheap hardware. This is mainly the cheaper models we're talking about, the more expensive ones are pretty good, though not up to the Gibson models they're patterned after.

As for the pickups, experiment with the height (distance from the strings) of the whole pickup and of individual pole pieces, but use new strings to give you an accurate sound and impression. Epiphone pickups are pretty bland and an upgrade to Duncans or something would help a lot.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Sounds like the truss rod may need a small tweak... get a good setup then see what you think. As for pups, they may need adjustment also, if still dissatisfied then try some different ones. Most of the Epi's play fairly well when setup properly....

·
Registered
131 Posts
+1 on what everyone has said here already. Sounds like a setup is what you need, which will cost you about $60. From time to time, Long and McQuade even has FREE setup days where you simply buy a set of strings and you receive a free setup. I believe there is one in the Fall and the other during their Monster Day Sale, which happens every year around May or June. This year's Free Setup Day for the summer has gone, but when the fall comes around, ask when their Free Setup Day is going to happen. I have been doing this for several years and rather than paying $60 for every setup, I've only had to pay between $5-$7 :D. Getting your guitar setup from time to time will probably relieve some of the frustration you are feeling towards your Epi. I dig mine.

Going from an Epi LP Custom to a Gibson LP Custom is a big step....just be prepared to stick with your Epi for a very long time :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts