The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Orange 1 x 12 with a Celestion V30 16 Ohm speaker in it. Can I replace it with lets say an 8 Ohm speaker?
I am not sure if the little bit of electronics in the Cab or the speaker specs itself determine what speaker must be used.

Thanks

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL.... Yes it is an extension cab , and thanks guys. Neither amps are Orange. When i demoed for the cab every manufacturer cab with the same speaker sounded the same so the first one on KIJIJI I saw I grabbed.. Zero brand loyalty over here

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
Why do you need an 8 ohm speaker? There's barely any electronics in the cab, depending on what you consider electronics. Should be two wires going to a 1/4" jack in a 112. That and the cone are the only "electronics" in my *grossly limited* knowledge.

If your amp requires an 8ohm load then you may have an easier time just finding a different cab. Say an Orange 212 ;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only a curiosity question. Its a solid back so I have no clue what was in it wiring wise

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
on a closed back cabinet, you first must remove the front grill and then you can unscrew the speaker bolts, then you can remove the speaker.
Carefull when you take the speaker out, as its attached to the speaker cable that goes to the jack on the back.
Remove the wire clips from the speaker and then you can replace the speaker with anything you want.
Dont forget to plug the speaker cables back on to the new speaker.
By the way....If your initial speaker is 16 ohms and you get another speaker box that's also 16 ohms,
when you plug them both into an amp, you get 8 ohms total load on the amp. Just thought Id mention another option.

G.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Why do you need an 8 ohm speaker? There's barely any electronics in the cab, depending on what you consider electronics. Should be two wires going to a 1/4" jack in a 112. That and the cone are the only "electronics" in my *grossly limited* knowledge.

If your amp requires an 8ohm load then you may have an easier time just finding a different cab. Say an Orange 212 ;)
Does Orange make an 8ohm 212 cab? I got a PPC212OB dirt cheap, and then traded straight up for a set of V30s so that i could have an 8ohm cab...my traynor head runs 4 and 8 only...so initially i just rewired it from the original 16ohm to 4ohm

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
"Only a curiosity question. Its a solid back so I have no clue what was in it wiring wise"
"If the back looks like this, remove the back panel to access the speaker."

It never crossed my minsd that someone could look at the back of a cabinet and see a bunch of screws
and not realize that if you just take the screws.......
OH nevermind....like a lot of posts in this forum I honestly think that folks love to jerk people around and have a good laugh.
G.

·
Premium Member
17,332 Posts
It never crossed my minsd that someone could look at the back of a cabinet and see a bunch of screws
and not realize that if you just take the screws.......
OH nevermind....like a lot of posts in this forum I honestly think that folks love to jerk people around and have a good laugh.
G.
If someone is new to cabs, speakers, wiring etc. he/she might not realize/understand/feel confident about removing a back panel.
In addition, the OP (as a newbie) could have had a lot of unwanted and unfortunate issues when trying to remove a front panel that is not removable.

No jerking around intended and no good laugh resulted from my post.

Like you, I was trying to be helpful.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, all I had done was some reading on series and parallel wiring in speakers. That means there is some wiring in the cabs. I know shit about wiring so I thought I would ask how that affected speaker ohms. Removing the back would mean nothing to me electrically.

Thanks to the people that actually helped​

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
With only one speaker i dont think you can change from series to parallel - only one positive and negative terminal and i *think* you need multiple of each to wire series or parallel.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah np its the internet lol. I am just looking at trying to use all the odds and sods that I have lying around since this has been a very expensive gear year. Plus I got spoiled running in stereo for a while

·
Premium Member
17,332 Posts
I thought I would ask how that affected speaker ohms.
Do you now fully (or at least more or less) understand the concept of impedance matching, wiring cabs , series and parallel wiring, etc?

If not, what are your specific questions?

Don't let the wiring unnerve you. It is not all that complex.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts