The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts good or bad ?

Fender is half the weight of the Vox and half the price of the Vox with the blue speaker; or 250 difference otherwise if the Vox has the cheaper speaker.

I kinda like the crunch sort of tone on the Fender but wondering if it might break up too much when pushed.

Don't know much about Vox amps.

I realize that I have to figure this out for myself but I was just wondering what any of y'all might have to say.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Thoughts good or bad ?

Fender is half the weight of the Vox and half the price of the Vox with the blue speaker; or 250 difference otherwise if the Vox has the cheaper speaker.

I kinda like the crunch sort of tone on the Fender but wondering if it might break up too much when pushed.

Don't know much about Vox amps.

I realize that I have to figure this out for myself but I was just wondering what any of y'all might have to say.
I had an AC15C2 for about a year. It was a great amp once I figured out the tone stack. The controls are interactive. It takes a while to figure out but once you do you can get a lot of tones. I’d still have the amp if it wasn’t so heavy. I also wished there was an easy way to switch between top boost and normal.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I had an AC15C2 for about a year. It was a great amp once I figured out the tone stack. The controls are interactive. It takes a while to figure out but once you do you can get a lot of tones. I’d still have the amp if it wasn’t so heavy. I also wished there was an easy way to switch between top boost and normal.
I used a radial ABY box as a channel switcher when I had an AC15, and agree it was a great sounding amp.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I have not played the current Vox AC15 offering so I can't compare.
But I have had/have a number of Pro Jr's and I love them. Rehearsed with them, gigged with them, recorded with them.
They are the epitome of a simple grab and go amplifier. Volume....Tone ....play.

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
Having owned both the Vox and the Pro Jr. i can say that the Vox has more power, weighs more, sounds pretty good. The Pro Jr. on the other hand is a great little grab and go amp, easy to dial in and sounds great for a 10 in. combo. If need be, a cab can be added.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The AC is a big rig and the pro junior is grab and go which has its merits. But then I’ve already got a 57 Custom Champ which likely comes close to covering off the pro junior sound just not as loud.

Might rent and AC15 from L&M for a week see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
The AC is a big rig and the pro junior is grab and go which has its merits. But then I’ve already got a 57 Custom Champ which likely comes close to covering off the pro junior sound just not as loud.

Might rent and AC15 from L&M for a week see how it goes.
It takes at least a week to figure out how the tone controls work. If you increase one the other decreases so it’s a delicate balance of small adjustments. e.g. If you want less bass and turn the bass down the treble will increase so you may have to turn it down as well. Then there is the treble cut which I never did figure out. Once you figure out how it works it is tonal bliss. I still miss that amp but my back simply wasn’t up to it. It really is an amp that needs to be at gig volumes. Getting in and out of the car was a nightmare. I missed a week of work after one weekend of two days at different jams. I could barely get out of bed with a bad back.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Don't count out the Vox AC10. I've had a handful of AC15s in different variations, and I'm more impressed by the AC10. The tone controls are more intuitive and they respond very well. The onboard digital reverb is fantastic. Most importantly, I find it to be a better sounding amp with more midrange depth and character.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Agree with fogdart. I think the AC10 is more comparable to the Pro Jr. The AC15 is a step up from both of those. Both the price and the weight would indicate that.

Unlike the other two, I've never played an AC10 in anger, but they seem to get a lot of love. I'd try one if I was offered the chance.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Try the Traynor YGL1 while you’re looking at those two. I think it sounds really good and holds its own with the two you’ve mentioned.

I like the Vox sound a lot and the AC15 is a pretty nice-sounding amp. I really like my little AC4C1, too.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Try the Traynor YGL1 while you’re looking at those two. I think it sounds really good and holds its own with the two you’ve mentioned.

I like the Vox sound a lot and the AC15 is a pretty nice-sounding amp. I really like my little AC4C1, too.
Agree 100%. I have owned a MIA tweed pro junior and an ac15. The ygl1 slays both imho.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts