The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gear heads,

Just got a ProCo Rat turbo. Love it! Only problem is that my board won't power it because it doesn't take the barrel style Boss type adapter. It's a 9v but one of those mini earphone jack styles... I've googled around but can't find a good solution that doesn't require a separate adaptor... Is there some way around this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sulpher, super close but I need the barrel end to be 'male' so I can use my existing wall adaptor... I guess this would work if I run off my boss tuner though...

·
Registered
24,336 Posts
It's no biggie to convert a power cable from the barrel style to mini phone plug style. I can talk you through it offline.

The tricky bit - and a big reason for most manufacturers using barrel types - is that phone plugs temporarily short tip and shank when inserting the plug. Those of us who used them back in the day for powering calculators and things with wallwarts can tellyou about sparks that surprised and frightened us. Insomuch as this can simply be avoided by inserting the plug before the wallwart is plugged into the wall, and insomuch as manufacturers have gone to great lengths to avoid complaints and lawsuits in this rather litigious society, they go with barrel plugs because they don't want to have the nuisance of handling complaints or assuring buyers that all sparks will be avoided if they follow THESE instructions for use to the letter. It is essentially the pedal industry's "Caution: contents may be hot".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts