The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen Prince in concert, so I already knew that he is a very talented guitar player. Did anyone catch his set during halftime of the Superbowl? Like him or not, you have to give him his due with regards to his axe prowess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,740 Posts
...his tone is a bit like his obvious passion: over the top.

his playing was a bit sloppy, probably due to the rain and the immense pressure. in any case, i have no problem with it. i'll take passionate but sloppy playing (grant fullerton) over meticulous soul-lessness (rik emmett) any day!

it looks like prince is at the top of his game, and any opportunity to see him perform during the next five-ten years will probably be worth grabbing.

-dh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,720 Posts
I thought he sounded great! It was quite refreshing to see someone ACTUALLY playing guitar. Oh, and the 2 dancers beside him looked pretty hot:banana: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,991 Posts
Never really enjoyed his music, but damn, that man can play!

He's a smokin' bass player and drummer as well.

Decent half-time show at best. Always enjoy seeing Prince shred it up though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
Damn!

I have to agree...I have seen this clip before, and dang! That man can play! I have never been a fan, but I do admit to tolerating him to gaining the affections of a girl when I was in grade 7.

He certainly knows how to fill the role of lead guitar player I enjoyed this clip as well as his performance on saturday night live...I looked for a clip on youtube but apparently they are all pulled due to copyright protection.

All bow to the little man in the purple jumpsuit! :bow:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Soul-O

david henman said:
...his tone is a bit like his obvious passion: over the top.

his playing was a bit sloppy, probably due to the rain and the immense pressure. in any case, i have no problem with it. i'll take passionate but sloppy playing (grant fullerton) over meticulous soul-lessness (rik emmett) any day!

it looks like prince is at the top of his game, and any opportunity to see him perform during the next five-ten years will probably be worth grabbing.

-dh
Wow.........you think Rik Emmett is soul-less........
I might agree that some of his soloing in Triumph is a little low in the passion department.......but to dismiss it all is a bit much.
Prince on the other hand I think tends to hide his six string chops behind synths and and all the other technoids. He should make a guitar album.....
but he probably wont.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,296 Posts
Since you asked so nicely, it's a Hohner... yes the same company that makes all those harmonicas. Apparently Prince has several of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,740 Posts
rippinglickfest said:
Wow.........you think Rik Emmett is soul-less........
I might agree that some of his soloing in Triumph is a little low in the passion department.......but to dismiss it all is a bit much..
...i have a ton of respect for rik. he is, technically, amazing.

but to see him perform is a huge disapointment - its like watching a very proficient musician practicing his scales.

-dh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
I can't think of anything I've heard Emmett do that I could consider mildly interesting. snoozefest. watching him play is even worse. king of the cheeseface.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,740 Posts
ne1roc said:
Wow, tough crowd here with the Rik Emmit comments. I'm not a huge fan of his music but I could never criticize a superior musician? His performances are flawless.
...i think that is the point we are trying to make.

very rarely, if at all, does flawless translate into soulful. pretty much the opposite, in fact.

prince's performance at half time was very sloppy, technically flawed and incredibly soulful.

-dh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
technically superior yes, but the guy hasn't written anything that I've dug, so him being a proficient player really doesn't mean anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
hoser said:
technically superior yes, but the guy hasn't written anything that I've dug, so him being a proficient player really doesn't mean anything.
So, let me see if I got this straight. Because YOU don't dig what he's done, the fact that he has sold millions of recordings, and was asked to play the Superbowl half time show, and can play guitar like a mofo, means nothing?
I guess your the halftime show next year?? Yeah,,,right. Streamed in from your bedroom??:wave:

CT.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top