The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can i ask on here for advice regarding an acoustic to sell? I'm not sure if that's OK or not so will wait for a reply before I ask....

·
Premium Member
17,328 Posts
GC members ask for this type of advice (i.e., pricing) reasonably often.
I would go ahead and ask and not be worried.

In addition, all of the forum members residing in Little Current have special privileges and are held in high regard.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
My rule of thumb is a used guitar in good condition is worth 64% of it's retail value before tax.

They other way is to search each province on kijiji, find ten of the same guitar and average the asking price. I figure most people increase their asking price to give them some room for negotiation so from there deduct anywhere from 5-15% or on average 7.5% from the asking price as to the true value of the item.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks guys - I can get the base price worked out but I'm not sure about the "special edition" limited run (plus extras).

So here goes: it's a 2007 Larrivee LV-03R-TF that was spec'd out by the Twelfth Fret (the store in TO). It's number 3 of 5 made. 5 were made as cutaways and 5 were made as non cutaways all with the same specs. The Twelfth Fret would have Jean Larrivee do special runs each year with wood and specs they picked out. So this one has an Ebony peghead and bridge, premium sitka top and indian rosewood back and sides, hawaiian koa bindings, abalone rosette, satin finish and Gotoh 21:1 tuners. It's also got a K and K pickup in it and I have the K and K pure XLR preamp I'd like to sell with it but it could go separately too. It could use a set up and the case isn't cosmetically perfect but still 100% functional. Binding has one very small chip in it and some light swirl marks on the back but other than that guitar is mint. I'm the original owner and its always been stored in its case and humidified. So....? Whaddya say?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
That is tricky with a limited model.

Do you know the difference between the retail price of a standard model of your guitar and the retail price of your guitar at the time you purchased it?

If so I would do:
(Current retail price of the standard model * 0.64) + (Difference between the retail price of the standard version and your version * 0.64 + inflation)

Inflation Calculator

L

·
0 Posts
You can also email the Twelfth Fret with detailed pics and they can do an appraisal that way.
At least they used to. Not sure if they still do.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much guys. Very helpful. So do you add the cost of the pickup into the price b/c I bought it after and installed it or just comes with the guitar so to speak?

·
Premium Member
11,859 Posts
Depends on the buyer you find, but I find 1) options like that pickup and 2) limited editions - don't add a lot of value to used guitars. Everyone's looking for a deal and looking to lowball your price. They will look at those as 'extras they didn't want anyways' and try and get you to price it as if it was a regular line model without the extra pieces. That's been my experience anyways. So you may have to just look at the percentage-reduced price (as mentioned above) of a standard model to be competitive and get interest in it.

One caveat to 2) above - if it is a very desirable limited edition, this will add more to the price because of supply and demand. But there usually isn't that demand in most limited edition guitars, because (no pun intended) so many are made every year.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My rule of thumb is a used guitar in good condition is worth 64% of it's retail value before tax.

They other way is to search each province on kijiji, find ten of the same guitar and average the asking price. I figure most people increase their asking price to give them some room for negotiation so from there deduct anywhere from 5-15% or on average 7.5% from the asking price as to the true value of the item.
Where do you get the 64% from out of interest?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Where do you get the 64% from out of interest?
I chose a bunch of standard guitars like a US strat, found ten of each for sale on Kijiji and averaged the asking price. Then I assumed that most people were increasing the value for negotiation room anywhere from 0% to 15% and on average 7.5% and came up with 64%.

It's not an exact science as I don't know what these guitars actually sold for.

According to my formula a US strat that retails for $1499.99 would be worth $960 on average.
Gibson J-45 $1535
Martin D-18 $2124
Martin D-28 $2271
Taylor 310 $1600

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Depends on the buyer you find, but I find 1) options like that pickup and 2) limited editions - don't add a lot of value to used guitars. Everyone's looking for a deal and looking to lowball your price. They will look at those as 'extras they didn't want anyways' and try and get you to price it as if it was a regular line model without the extra pieces. That's been my experience anyways. So you may have to just look at the percentage-reduced price (as mentioned above) of a standard model to be competitive and get interest in it.

One caveat to 2) above - if it is a very desirable limited edition, this will add more to the price because of supply and demand. But there usually isn't that demand in most limited edition guitars, because (no pun intended) so many are made every year.
Well...yes and no. I understand where you are coming from, and would tend to agree except in those cases where the "extras" are all things you like and/or can use. That's what lead me to that guitar in the first place....I couldn't afford a 09 series Larrivee at the time but the special edition 03 series was damn close and the upgraded tuners and such were a bonus.

Reliced guitars is one that sticks out for me personally - I can't even remotely fathom the idea of paying thousands more for a "new" guitar that plays and sounds the same as an unscratched and dented "new" looking guitar. But hey - people buy those special editions so one man's junk is another's gold right!

·
Premium Member
11,859 Posts
Well...yes and no. I understand where you are coming from, and would tend to agree except in those cases where the "extras" are all things you like and/or can use. That's what lead me to that guitar in the first place....I couldn't afford a 09 series Larrivee at the time but the special edition 03 series was damn close and the upgraded tuners and such were a bonus.

Reliced guitars is one that sticks out for me personally - I can't even remotely fathom the idea of paying thousands more for a "new" guitar that plays and sounds the same as an unscratched and dented "new" looking guitar. But hey - people buy those special editions so one man's junk is another's gold right!
Exactly right.

You just have to find the buyer who sees the options and SE as gold, while you wade through the lowball offers telling you those extras are junk, aren't worth anything and blah, blah, blah.

If you're patient (or lucky), I'm sure you'll find your customer.

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
I used to think 70% of original retail BEFORE TAX, but that's been optimistic for at least a couple of years now, on mainstream guitars and basses and amps. I wouldn't count on getting anything for inflation either - don't we all laugh at kijiji guys who put their faded or other originally cheap Les Paul they bought for $599 up for sale for $750, even though you can't buy them anywhere near $600 any more?

Minor exception for pedals, a lot (not all) of them hold value a little better, but guitars other than super desirable rare/vintage stuff doesn't sell that well unless priced really well.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Doesn't L&M sell trade-ins at 70% of retail? So, if you're selling privately, you need to beat that price at least.

Reverb also has a Price Guide for some models, but it's based on USD. Just FYI.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Doesn't L&M sell trade-ins at 70% of retail? So, if you're selling privately, you need to beat that price at least.
L&M does not give 70% of retail for a trade-in. Otherwise none of us would have to sell our stuff. We'd just trade it in at L&M.
What L&M gives is 70% of what they determine they can sell it for. So for example a guitar that retails at $1,000 and they figure they could sell it at $700 (70% of retail) then they'd give you 70% of $700 which is $490 which would be less than half of retail.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
L&M does not give 70% of retail for a trade-in. Otherwise none of us would have to sell our stuff. We'd just trade it in at L&M.
What L&M gives is 70% of what they determine they can sell it for. So for example a guitar that retails at $1,000 and they figure they could sell it at $700 (70% of retail) then they'd give you 70% of $700 which is $490 which would be less than half of retail.
He said L&M sells trade ins at 70% of retail not they give you 70% of retail.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I believe Gimper said L & M sells used guitars at 70% of retail, not they give you 70% of retail.

Of course it is easy to miss a couple of words in a post that changes its meaning entirely. We have all likely been guilty of this from time to time. I know I certainly have been.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts