The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I know the 2015 Les Pauls are a sore spot with a lot of diehard Gibson fans (electronic tuners, Les Paul 100 script, Hologram, etc). However, I don’t want to get into discussing the aesthetics of the instrument. I think it is a great sounding guitar, well made, and looks great. However, given the size of the neck, and recent hand surgery, I am finding it very hard to play. Consequently, I will have to sell.

My problem lies in finding a fair asking price for it. I took a look on kijiji to get an idea, however, there seems to be quite the range of prices. Anywhere from $1500 to $2500. The guitar is in Ocean Blue, and in Perfect/MINT condition no marks anywhere (not even the case). This community has so much knowledge within, I am hoping I could get an idea. Once again, I don’t want this to devolve into a discussion about aesthetics of the 2015 Les Pauls. Any help? Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Unfortunately, the specs on that one will make it harder to move. The 2015s were heavily reduced by retailers just to get rid of them. L&M still has the 2015 Trad listed at $2500+tax on their website. Depending on what it is, I usually look to price "like new" used gear around 65-75% of what one would pay new (tax included) and then feel out the market from there. For your Trad, that would put you around the $1800-$2100 range. Given the 2015 lineup's lack of popularity, you're likely looking at the lower range of that pricing.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I actually sold two Traditionals in the last year. One was a Goldtop, and the other sunburst. I only got 1500$. They were both 2011 models.
I think even at 1500$ it will take you a while as the 2015's are not popular.
But, if you are not in a hurry, why not list it for 1750$ and see what happens.
Cheers

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear you guys. Really what you get for your guitar is based on what the market will allow. I just took a look on ebay (.ca & .com) it seems like the median asking is around $2000. Just because you “ask” doesn’t mean you are going to “get”. If it wasn’t for the problems with my hand, I wouldn’t be selling it, because I am happy with it. It just seems like a waste for it not to be played. I currently have it posted for $2000. I am not in a hurry to sell it, because I don’t need the cash. I paid almost $3000 so I will sit at $2000 for a while and see how what the market tells me. Thanks for your thoughts, fellas.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dont sell it and play it when you are healed up. Done.

Or else you're probably going to spend that money on another one.

You like the guitar so just keep it.
Unfortunately, total mobility in my hand won’t be coming back. Hands are smallish to begin with, and the Traditional was a bit of a challenge to play pre-surgery. Now it is impossible. It was the only guitar I own with a larger neck. Luckily, all the rest are fine.

·
Registered
9,076 Posts
I have arthritis in my hands (and several other places!) and have always thought that, if I can no longer play normally, I will simply switch to playing nothing but slide. Since it takes no pressure from the fretting hand, it should be doable.

I've farted around with slide here and there, but have never really gotten down to actually learning it properly. I really need to do that as I often think that I could be perfectly happy only ever playing slide because I like it so much (both to listen to and to play, if you can call my farting around 'playing').

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
$1,500 give or take, in my opinion, a little more if it has a great top. L&M had a sale on 2016s not too long ago, $2,000 and they are on sale again now for $2,200. It's kind of hard to get you're asking price of $2,000 for used one. You could argue the tax savings but your asking is close enough to new prices where many people (including myself sometimes) would just pay the extra and buy new. Harder still to sell for top dollar when L&M offers X months no interest.

I don't know what Gibson was thinking with the 2015s when jacked the price up like they did. I bought a new 2016 Firebird V in late 2015. It was $1,400. The same model 2015 was about $900 more. Specs aside, the only big difference was 2015s came with hard case and 2016s had gig bags.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I use Reverb for checking current prices. Take a look there.

And I hope your hand heals as much as possible.

Reactions: jdto and Vox71

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Just out of curiosity what are the guitars that you can play?

Reason I’m asking is it might be beneficial for you to get a luthier to shave
The neck to those specifications.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I have arthritis in my hands 9and several other places!) and have always thought that, if I can no longer play normally, I will simply switch to playing nothing but slide. Since it takes no pressure from the fretting hand, it should be doable.

I've farted around with slide here and there, but have never really gotten down to actually learning it properly. I really need to do that as I often think that I could be perfectly happy only ever playing slide because I like it so much (both to listen to and to play, if you can call my farting around 'playing').
I learned slide as a new player that was frustrated by my inability to form barre chords. After learning about open tunings I was sold.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just out of curiosity what are the guitars that you can play?

Reason I’m asking is it might be beneficial for you to get a luthier to shave
The neck to those specifications.
I have a 330 Rickenbacker that is fine for me to play, as well as my strat, tele, and even my Gibson Firebird

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use Reverb for checking current prices. Take a look there.

And I hope your hand heals as much as possible.
Thanks, Steadfastly. According to Reverb, and ebay, I seem to be right on market asking. Whether I get it or not remains to be seen. However, not in any kind of hurry to sell. If it doesn’t sell, I may take colchar’s advice and use it solely as a slide guitar.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I'm selling a 2015 gold top LP Deluxe (st. kitts kijiji) so I find this thread helpful. Sweet guitar and i would totally keep it but visa wants me to pay for it now : (

I priced mine for kijiji at 2150. A little high perhaps but its like new and I'd discount a bit for folks here. 2015 or not it's a solid guitar.

There are some changes to the 2015's and while some are good some might not jive with all people.

Plek'd guitars play great and the mini hums are really cool. Pretty high output but clean up well with vol knob. Lots of tonal options with coil splits for both pups and a 15db boost (9v powered) it really gooses my 800 into nicely saturated classic metal tones. The zero nut im undecided on, I dont notice it much unless im bending close to the nut. The gforce tuners are ok but id still prefer traditional style tuners. Manual tuning with the gforce tuners doesnt work well which is my major gripe.

The biggest change that folks might not like is the width of the neck, not sure of the exact spec but its a wide neck (not too skinny but not fat). Feels wider than my PRS wide/fat. Didnt take too long to get used to playing though.

I figure the trad might share some of these changes (not the mini hums as they were specially designed for this axe)

·
Registered
9,076 Posts
I learned slide as a new player that was frustrated by my inability to form barre chords. After learning about open tunings I was sold.

When I was a new player my struggles with switching chords cleanly, smoothly, and quickly put slide in my mind. Barre chords kept it there.

I keep putting slide aside for extended periods, then coming back to messing around with it (what I do can't be called 'playing' so 'messing around' best describes it). I get more enjoyment out of making random noises playing slide than I do from playing normally. When I mentioned above that I think I could be happy only playing slide I meant it. If I could get down to learning slide properly, or if I could find a good teacher to help me, I think I could get right into slide and never play normal guitar again - and I would be absolutely fine with that.

Ah screw it, I need to find a cheap Epi LP that I can have set up for slide so that I can get back into it as time allows. Or maybe a resonator............................

·
Registered
9,076 Posts
Further to the post immediat3ely above - this thread got me to thinking about slide again so, while at my local L&M today, I decided to have them check the chain's used inventory for used Gibby SG Specials (or similar) and Epi Les Paul Customs. It turns out that one of the stores near Ottawa has an Epi LPC available for $225 so I ordered it in. I'll either put a nut extender on it, or will have my friend the tech put in a taller nut to set it up for slide.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Before messing with the nut, slap on some 11s & tune it UP to Open E.

If your right hand muting technique is good, the action might be high enough for slide but still allow you to fret notes normally.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I just took a look on ebay (.ca & .com) it seems like the median asking is around $2000. Just because you “ask” doesn’t mean you are going to “get”.
When checking prices on ebay, get the list of what you're checking, then hit 'advanced' at the top right. Check the 'completed listings' box, then search. Now you'll see what sold (in green), what didn't and for how much. A lot more useful than looking at asking prices or partially progressed auctions.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts