The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a reasonable price for a used MIA Fender (either P or J)? How about a Highway One or a MIM Fender? Assuming that they are in good condition.

BTW, is it possible to haggle over prices at L&M or is it just pay the sticker price - that's what I've always done.

I

·
0 Posts
BTW, is it possible to haggle over prices at L&M or is it just pay the sticker price - that's what I've always done.
It never hurts to try and haggle. I find on the sub-$1k items they usually won't budge on the price but they can sweeten it up with some accessories and stuff.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
It never hurts to try and haggle. I find on the sub-$1k items they usually won't budge on the price but they can sweeten it up with some accessories and stuff.

but those accessories are usually cheap straps, crappy gig bags and shitty cords. Far better off haggling the price as low as possible.

I

·
0 Posts
but those accessories are usually cheap straps, crappy gig bags and shitty cords. Far better off haggling the price as low as possible.
Don't let them pick the stuff. Bundle up all the stuff you need: straploks, a nice strap, a good cable, a plywood-and-tolex case. Tell them that's what you want and this is what you can give them for it.

Case in point: if you ever buy a receiver buy speakers with it. Mark up on the electronics is nothing. A few percent. But markup on speakers is insane. If you add speakers and bundle it all together you can get a much better deal. Cases are kind of the speakers of the music world. Straps too.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Bingo. My Frender CIJ came with a free but totally useless Fender gig bag. It has no padding whatsoever. I would have preferred having the price of the guitar knocked down 10$ instead.

My Epiphone came with a cheap 2$ guitar strap that I quickly threw in the trash. I already had a couple of quality straps, so I knew better than to use and trust the black nylon strap to hold my guitar.

Haggle and use the money you've saved to buy yourself a Levy's. They make fine straps...and it's a Canadian company. :smilie_flagge17:

http://www.levysleathers.com/

·
Registered
35 Posts
L&M is selling new MIA basses for $1225 but the US price is $1000 and I think the US prices is what determines the market for used instruments.

I saw used 2006 Highway-One in Cambridge (not at L&M) for $650. I think that is a good deal.

There is a used MIA 2001 Deluxe Precision in Toronto (On Queen St) for $999 and that is also a good deal.

L&M will budge on the price if it is lower somewhere else and it has been my experience that for the sake of a sale any other music store will beat L&M's prices.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It also depends on the location you are shopping at. The one here won't budge even on the higher end stuff whereas other locations have been willing to deal. I end up only buying from L&M when I can't get it from somewhere else.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How is US$725 for a used 01 MIA Precision w/ the case and that has supposedly barely been played?

I'm new to this buying used stuff, as you can tell... especially as the prices for used stuff in the US isn't necessarily what you'd have to pay for them in Canada.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
My observation with L&M is that they don't negotiate on pricing and that their new prices might be ok but are not great and that their pricing on used gear tends to be high.

I find that prices can be negotiated at independent stores and much better deals can be had.

In fact most of my major purchases have been from the smaller guy where I could get the same product for less money than at L&M.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think $725 US is a good price for a used MIA bass especially considering our dollar right now. That'll work out to less than $800 CAD. It's a deal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts