The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
yup, they are just following the burst on up, my old 61 345 came up on ebay about 3 weeks ago to my amazement (have been trying to replace it ever since and found it on ebay !!! 2 owners down since me), needless to say, I'm priced out of the game, best guitar I ever had, but I"m left scratching my head. Do I collect or do I play ? well , I play em. So, I do believe I will not see another vintage 3x5, that's just supply n' demand working . In 6 yrs that guitar doubled to over 15g's from when I had it.

I don't know if the vintage market will subside, time will tell.

its left me looking for alternatives such as: Brian Monty, who looks to build a beautiful version of the 335.

Tokai's are great to: but left me missing something when I owned one.

sadly, those old guitars "have it", unfortunately, they are desired as collectibles. so the search continue's.

I feel your pain, the are just tooo expensive.

anybody have any suggestions where to go ??? (heritage isn't for me, although some folks love these)

I

·
0 Posts
The old Yamaha's are really nice. The other option is a Heritage. I've played a few of their semi-hollow models and they were superb guitars at very reasonable prices.

·
Administrator
15,979 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
The Collings I-35 is the hands down best new 335 style guitar I've played. Pricey, but no where near as pricey as a vintage one. About the same as a Gibson Historic model.

Pete

·
Registered
401 Posts
Here's one from the gearpage. I tend to think it's a lot newer than an '83, I thought the SA2200 were more recent, but either way it's a damn nice guitar.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=253828

thanks Dave ! that looks like a terrific guitar, I have to be honest, lately, I've had an aversion to flame maple and slim necks. I know tall order finding a "chunkier" neck on this kind of guitar, I will try and find one to play though.

HI Pete,when I went to try the 1 35 @ 12fret, it was sold......can't even get your hands on one of these things !

anybody have/try an orville by gibson ?

oops........guess I highjacked a bit here........ sorry bout that..........sorta relavent in terms of "if you can't afford 45 gs" what's "really good" out there

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
For reasonable prices on Gibsons, you really have to look post-'64, that's when the biggest changes came in.

And Clapton's magic touch on a '64 (I believe it was) 335 didn't help the market either (unless you already own one, lol).

·
Administrator
15,979 Posts
thanks Dave ! that looks like a terrific guitar, I have to be honest, lately, I've had an aversion to flame maple and slim necks. I know tall order finding a "chunkier" neck on this kind of guitar, I will try and find one to play though.
The early ones, like my '84 weren't flamed and have a nice sized neck on them. They came like my burst or in red of course. Not the best picture but you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Unfortunately I'd want a '59 for the big neck. Probably 4 times the price of the '63.
a clean '59 just sold on Ebay, it was at $67,500 but it appears the guy accepted a 'best offer' for it.

yikes.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Dave, that look's awesome! BTW, my son Franco keep's watching your vid. All the best.
The early ones, like my '84 weren't flamed and have a nice sized neck on them. They came like my burst or in red of course. Not the best picture but you get the idea.

·
Administrator
15,979 Posts
Dave, that look's awesome! BTW, my son Franco keep's watching your vid. All the best.
I'm beginning to have doubts about Franco's taste. :D

Any time you'd like to check out the 335 let me know.

btw looks like we'll be back at the Richmond on August 4th for the matinee. Mark (Lowtones) is finally coming home for a spell.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
yup, they are just following the burst on up, my old 61 345 came up on ebay about 3 weeks ago to my amazement (have been trying to replace it ever since and found it on ebay !!! 2 owners down since me), needless to say, I'm priced out of the game, best guitar I ever had, but I"m left scratching my head. Do I collect or do I play ? well , I play em. So, I do believe I will not see another vintage 3x5, that's just supply n' demand working . In 6 yrs that guitar doubled to over 15g's from when I had it.

I don't know if the vintage market will subside, time will tell.

its left me looking for alternatives such as: Brian Monty, who looks to build a beautiful version of the 335.

Tokai's are great to: but left me missing something when I owned one.

sadly, those old guitars "have it", unfortunately, they are desired as collectibles. so the search continue's.

I feel your pain, the are just tooo expensive.

anybody have any suggestions where to go ??? (heritage isn't for me, although some folks love these)
I am still hanging on to mine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts