The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seems a lil whack to me lately...

Bolt on fenders are now approaching LP standard prices...they are even USED...

I know the market is entirely commerce driven...but...and this isnt a tone arguement...since when are bolt on neck guitars the same price as set necks? I also dont mean small builders (Suhr, Collins, Anderson)...i mean the big name guys...

Its like being a kid again...every time i think i can afford one, the finish line moves...

·
Registered
662 Posts
Guitar pricing is definitely getting out of hand. I guess once the market stalls we'll see some more reasonably priced instruments, but I guess Fender and other big names will just keep pricing their instruments higher and higher until they no longer sell.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I dont expect to buy any new guitars, amps, or pedals again.

The last new piece of gear I bought was my Taylor acoustic in 2013 and only because I received more than expected for trade value on a guitar amp and another acoustic guitar against the Taylor.

Other acquired guitars, pedals, amps; all used. Even my beloved '57RI HR Strat was a L&M "rental" (rented once = major price drop)

That being said, the new prices are driving the prices of some used gear up as well. A local shop has a real nice '89 Fender Tele I would not mind buying but they are asking $1700.00 for it. This guitar would have been about $850 new and there is no reason at all for it to be priced so high IMHO.

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
Guitar pricing is definitely getting out of hand. I guess once the market stalls we'll see some more reasonably priced instruments, but I guess Fender and other big names will just keep pricing their instruments higher and higher until they no longer sell.
That is pretty much what the big name companies in any field do.

On the other hand, their are more choices today in every quality level than there has ever been. There are some absolutely great guitars out there for under $1000.00 and sometimes a lot less than that. So while the big names keep putting their prices up because that is what the market will bear, we don't have to buy their products to get a good or even a great guitar at a decent price that most of us can afford.

Reactions: annuvin and MS41R8

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
Yeah, I keep looking at the price tags scratching my head. I don't know what's normal anymore.

Fortunately, I've got my guitar, my amp, and my effects all accounted for - I could possibly use a droptune pedal, but that's about it. I'm officially out of this game, so prices can do what they want.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
This is one of the best times ever to buy a guitar. For $200 and possibly another $80 for a good setup you can buy a guitar that plays if not sounds as well as a $1,000 guitar. Here is the newest Squier. It's getting rave reviews. A $200 guitar today is light years better than a $200 guitar from twenty years ago.

Fender Guitars | Electric, Acoustic & Bass Guitars, Amps, Pro Audio

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
This is one of the best times ever to buy a guitar. For $200 and possibly another $80 for a good setup you can buy a guitar that plays if not sounds as well as a $1,000 guitar. Here is the newest Squier. It's getting rave reviews. A $200 guitar today is light years better than a $200 guitar from twenty years ago.

Fender Guitars | Electric, Acoustic & Bass Guitars, Amps, Pro Audio
I handpicked my 400 dollar squire over a 900 dollar American and a 600 dollar MIJ at the time. I really liked the American, but it didn't play or sound 500 dollars better, and the squire looked better.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I am surprised no one has spoken in regards to the bolt-on vs set neck issue as mentioned by the OP. Are bolt-on guitars supposed to be cheaper than set necks?

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
I just finished guitar shopping in Beijing and there's an area of the city whereby 20+ musical instrument shops are all located next to each other. If it's any comfort, the MIC instruments are more expensive (after negotiations) than in Canada! I was hoping to buy an Eastman mandolin but no go. Mostly low end stuff but a couple shops had Custom Shop instruments with prices to make us all cry.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,017 Posts
I am surprised no one has spoken in regards to the bolt-on vs set neck issue as mentioned by the OP. Are bolt-on guitars supposed to be cheaper than set necks?
They are easier to assemble, but that doesn't mean that the price will be different. You still have to make all of the parts and assemble it. Set neck means waiting for glue to dry, bolt on means getting a screwdriver. The neck pocket still has to be carefully measured and routed properly etc.

The whole "set neck has to be cheaper" is BS - there's a bunch of $400 set neck guitars out there.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
They are easier to assemble, but that doesn't mean that the price will be different. You still have to make all of the parts and assemble it. Set neck means waiting for glue to dry, bolt on means getting a screwdriver. The neck pocket still has to be carefully measured and routed properly etc.

The whole "set neck has to be cheaper" is BS - there's a bunch of $400 set neck guitars out there.
Not only are they easier to assemble, they can be built more economically. Being able to do the body and neck seperately makes a big difference in production. The most brilliant part of the Stratocaster was how Fender isolated 90 percent of the wiring from the body. The factory was able to completely assemble, less the output jack and bridge ground, and wire the pickguard while the body was concurrently being built or finished.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Just recently bought my most expensive guitar at $275, a PRS SE Soapbar. In the past few years, I've found a Strat CV for $170, a Case Queen G400 Vintage Epi for $100, a P90 SG Special Epi for $150, all incredible guitars.

I say, it's the cork sniffing headstock prices that are getting out of hand. Kerry is right. If you don't have the time or patience to find the good deals out there, a CNC machine will build you a high quality brand new guitar, for next to nothing.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Just recently bought my most expensive guitar at $275, a PRS SE Soapbar. In the past few years, I've found a Strat CV for $170, a Case Queen G400 Vintage Epi for $100, a P90 SG Special Epi for $150, all incredible guitars.

I say, it's the cork sniffing headstock prices that are getting out of hand. Kerry is right. If you don't have the time or patience to find the good deals out there, a CNC machine will build you a high quality brand new guitar, for next to nothing.
To be fair, those are remarkable deals!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
There's lots of 500-800 guitars that are very good sounding right off the self, however they usually need a good set-up and going over to make perfectly playable.

At best, edge beveling, and at worst completely level and recrown.

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
Yeah, I keep looking at the price tags scratching my head. I don't know what's normal anymore.

Fortunately, I've got my guitar, my amp, and my effects all accounted for - I could possibly use a droptune pedal, but that's about it. I'm officially out of this game, so prices can do what they want.
Of course your are!

Would you like to buy some ocean-front property in Arizona?:)

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dont get me wrong...i buy used almost exclusively...what sparked this was an ad for a used (recent) fender at over 2G...
Thats what i think is insane

Id like a tele...and from online reviews, and ppl here...im going the squier route...cuz, i like having money in MY pocket

1 - 20 of 72 Posts