The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking at strat guitars recently , I see prices for suhr are a bit higher than US prices, after currency conversion, before tax.

What’s the main cause of this? Shipping or import tax?

Sad to see we need to pay around 600 CAD more on a 3300 USD standard plus.

·
Premium Member
6,247 Posts
a guitar coming to Canada probably adds one more link into the supply chain. And unfortunately, every link needs his pockets filled with booty. I honestly can't see any other reason for it.

Welcome to the CG forum

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Our dollar is weaker, our taxes are higher, out government wants to punish us for importing something that we actually want and then at the end of it all, our customs / couriers can legally practice extortion and hold our items hostage until we pay them an arbitrary number that they make up on the spot.

Best move is to convert some cash when our dollar is high and then drive to Buffalo and buy the guitar and throw out the receipt and say that you bought it 8 months prior from a guy in Barrie named Ricky-Kenny

·
Registered
860 Posts
Our dollar is weaker, our taxes are higher, out government wants to punish us for importing something that we actually want and then at the end of it all, our customs / couriers can legally practice extortion and hold our items hostage until we pay them an arbitrary number that they make up on the spot.
To punish us ! AhAhAh !
It's a lot to simplify something complex

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
They need to get shipped here, whether that is by truck or plane or train = fuel. Then there is customs. then there is the cost of doing business. Rent/wages etc. All of which are probably higher in Canada than the US.

Reactions: garf

·
Premium Member
655 Posts

Best move is to convert some cash when our dollar is high and then drive to Buffalo and buy the guitar and throw out the receipt and say that you bought it 8 months prior from a guy in Barrie named Ricky-Kenny

Or you could do that without the fraud part at the end and just pay your GST.

OP, our dollar recently went up a few pennies compared the the US dollar as well so that's some of it. Another big issue (not necessarily from Suhr) is that the big US dealers will haggle and L&M refuses to do so.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

OP, our dollar recently went up a few pennies compared the the US dollar as well so that's some of it. Another big issue (not necessarily from Suhr) is that the big US dealers will haggle and L&M refuses to do so.
Depends on the province. Ontario has HST so you pay both taxes. Manitoba charges both PST and GST on imported purchases.

This probably has to do with an exclusive dealer contract for Canada. I'll bet US retailers won't ship them here and one store is the only authorized dealer in Canada.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Another consideration is that brokerage fees (+ GST) are charged on pretty much any shipment that crosses the US/Canada border. It’s a material cost to the importing dealer that gets passed along to the buyer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, yea, a lot of possibilities.

If we look at fenders, the price gap is not that big.
So I guess suhr just doesn’t have that amount of customer base to support our dealers to haggle.

I was just thinking if I should drive to buffalo to buy it after this virus thing. Gah a lot of work.

·
Premium Member
17,995 Posts
Thanks guys, yea, a lot of possibilities.

If we look at fenders, the price gap is not that big.
So I guess suhr just doesn’t have that amount of customer base to support our dealers to haggle.

I was just thinking if I should drive to buffalo to buy it after this virus thing. Gah a lot of work.
Whats that work worth to you? $600?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whats that work worth to you? $600?
lol, I don’t know. And that’s why I posted this discussion. It should be the priceDiff(600CAD) - BuffaloTax - NiagaraCustom - fuel - myTime. Maybe not worth it.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts

Fraud is like nicotine.
One time is enough to get you hooked.

That’s how our entire government has generated trillions of dollars off of land that was fraudulently purchased from illiterate people in fraudulent land treaties for $15 and a pack of smokes lol.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Not Buffalo but I have many times and it is so worth it. Buy from a US dealer/seller, ship it to a freight forwarder (I use CBI USA in Niagara Falls), pick it up, flip a coin whether you pay tax at the border.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not Buffalo but I have many times and it is so worth it. Buy from a US dealer/seller, ship it to a freight forwarder (I use CBI USA in Niagara Falls), pick it up, flip a coin whether you pay tax at the border.
I see. Thanks for the info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts