·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I'm usually pretty good a finding values online, but this one is pretty rare
2011 PRS Tree Of Life Custom 24, Black Gold Smokeburst, 1 of 100
Was selling for 7000$ US brand new
So I was wondering if one of you high end gearheads might have an idea of its current value

Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,039 Posts
Is it in mint condition? I see the Private Stock COA in the first pic, so already I'm going to put it at $5K+. @Alex would probably be able to help out. I wouldn't worry about the 1/100 bit too much, but then I am not a PRS collector.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Someone proposed that guitar to me and I want to be extra sure of its value before going for it
I'm entirely unschooled in PRS so can't help you there. As always though, proceed with caution and remember: "If it seems to good to be true...etc" Hope it works out for you though.

·
Premium Member
3,875 Posts
Thanks

I had found that link already

The only other I could find is this one which sold for 6500$ US

Preowned PRS “Tree of Life” Custom 24 in Black Gold | Rebel Guitars

Someone proposed that guitar to me and I want to be extra sure of its value before going for it
If your intent is resale, then I would be cautious. The market is flooded with PS' (and Custom Shops for that matter). If you are looking to keep it, The Private Stock program pretty much guaranteees you a decent guitar but like all things guitar, they vary from one to another. There is a PRS forum that might be able to help on the value. A few of their members have nice PRS collections.

·
Premium Member
3,875 Posts
Thanks for the info guys

I've been offered this in a trade, so I would probably end up reselling it, indeed
Most of the offers I received for my PS (which sold yesterday) were $CDN5K or less. As a dealer told me yesterday, most Canadians buy on the assumption of the US$/CDN cross rate at par and also, the market wants a 50% discount on PS'. You could try your luck selling on the US market but you are aware of some risks (CITES, insurance coverage). I have sold a couple guitars to US residents since January with no issues. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Most of the offers I received for my PS (which sold yesterday) were $CDN5K or less. As a dealer told me yesterday, most Canadians buy on the assumption of the US$/CDN cross rate at par and also, the market wants a 50% discount on PS'. You could try your luck selling on the US market but you are aware of some risks (CITES, insurance coverage). I have sold a couple guitars to US residents since January with no issues. Hope this helps.
Good points on the uber-soft PRS market right now. I had several PRS trade offers when I was selling my LP Classic recently which, on paper at least, appeared quite generous. I quickly realized however that the new cost of those guitars really didn't matter one bit as they just weren't selling. As stated by others here then, don't expect a quick (or easy) flip if that's your plan...

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Is it just the picture in the first post or is there no signature on the back of the headstock? If it's a Private Stock with signed headstock, and if you're looking for a dollar amount, I would say $5,800 - $6,000 but I personally would not spend that much because I don't like the guitar.

·
Premium Member
18,039 Posts
I personally would not spend that much because I don't like the guitar.
Hilariously enough, I too don't care for the vine of life inlays. I prefer birds. Gotta wonder if a lot of other PRS lovers are in the same boat.

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
I find the VoL a bit blingy for my taste too, not a fan.

Moons on the McCarty and dots on the other two and I'm good with that, though birds would be nice.

·
Premium Member
17,047 Posts
Unless you're planning on putting it in a glass case on the wall I wouldn't bother.

I bet the pups suck too :)

·
Premium Member
18,039 Posts
Gonna go with lying, sadly. People kinda suck. That said he may just *really* want your guitar.

Trust your gut.

·
Premium Member
17,047 Posts
Guy says he refused a 5000$ cash offer but is offering it to me for 4600$ worth of gear

So he's either lying or pretty bad with math
Well he might have turned down a $5000 offer back when he thought he could get $7ooo for it. Reality is a bitch sometimes.

Reactions: Budda

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Expensive PRS to try and flip? I'd stay away if you don't want to sit on it for the next 20 years. The CDN market just does not bare it, U.S. much better chance but then you still have to find a buyer. The last PRS I sold went south like most of them have that was in January. As far as SW Ont. the market is flooded with overpriced PRS guitars.

The one I sold was a 94' McCarty 1/100 as well and likely 1/10 with birds & signed by the late Ted McCarty. That guitar is priced anywhere between 4/5k depending on the condition, a simple google search will show this. The one I had was 9.8 of 10 condition and I got no where near that and I didn't ask anything near that and that is the reason I no longer have the guitar.

it took a few good years and a trip to MD to find that guitar. Once I had it I never really played so it wasn't worth it for me to keep. That guitar was 20+ years old already dated. Who knows 20 years from maybe it'll be worth quite a bit more but I got what I wanted for it and moved on

1994 PRS McCarty Signed Sunburst > Guitars Electric Solid Body | Nationwide Guitars

CONSIGNMENT- Paul Reed Smith McCarty- Signed Backplate 19 of 100 #9204 - Paul Reed Smith - Electrics - Products

1994 PRS McCarty Sunburst > Guitars Electric Solid Body | Miami Vintage Guitars Inc

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
I respect prs guitars. I've owned about 4-5 of them. Played them as my Main guitar for 3 years. We just fell out of love.
During this time the used PRS Market took a massive hit.

Someone mentioned flooded market. Thanks to the guitar shop in Mississauga, there are many in Canada.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts