The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be, soon I hope, on the marker for a Mesa Power 4x10 cab for a bass rig but before, I would like to know what would be the asking price on the used market. I have looked around over the web and there's not exemple for sale particulary in Canada.

New, they are 1583$ + taxes at L&M Mesa Boogie - PowerHouse 4x10 - 600W @ 8 Ohms

What should I expect to pay?

Thanks for the help! :)

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
I believe Long & McQuade Edmonton South has, though my memory may be foggy. There are 2 used Powerhouse, but might be 1x15 & 2x12. Anyways, get your local L&M to check their system for used Powerhouse cabs (assuming you haven't already). They bring them in cheap or free, other than wanting a deposit up front.

·
Premium Member
11,828 Posts
I believe Long & McQuade Edmonton South has, though my memory may be foggy. There are 2 used Powerhouse, but might be 1x15 & 2x12. Anyways, get your local L&M to check their system for used Powerhouse cabs (assuming you haven't already). They bring them in cheap or free, other than wanting a deposit up front.
Sadly, not in my experience. They charge a non-refundable shipping fee, although the product still has the 30 day return policy.

Or maybe they just like you more than me. :(

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
Might (?) depend on the size of the item, though I had them bring in a new bass 2x12 and they didnt charge shipping - maybe because it was new? If it depends on your historic $$ spent under your account, well then I would get anything shipped free LOL.

·
Premium Member
11,828 Posts
Might (?) depend on the size of the item, though I had them bring in a new bass 2x12 and they didnt charge shipping - maybe because it was new? If it depends on your historic $$ spent under your account, well then I would get anything shipped free LOL.
I would like to think I qualify for that as well. Maybe I'm small time to them, but I see a lot of L&M on my monthly CC statements.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
my first question that come to mind is why are you stuck on the Mesa PowerHouse 4x10 cab ?
I'm sure its a fine bass cab but cammon now....there are plenty of high end 4x10 cabs that you should also be looking at.
I have a Ampeg Half Stack 4x10 that sounds great. I recently played a TC Electronics 2 x12 cabinet that for its size was amazing.
And so on and so on...
Keep looking and Im sure you will find the right cabinet.
G.

Reactions: Ti-Ron

·
Premium Member
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my first question that come to mind is why are you stuck on the Mesa PowerHouse 4x10 cab ?
I'm sure its a fine bass cab but cammon now....there are plenty of high end 4x10 cabs that you should also be looking at.
I have a Ampeg Half Stack 4x10 that sounds great. I recently played a TC Electronics 2 x12 cabinet that for its size was amazing.
And so on and so on...
Keep looking and Im sure you will find the right cabinet.
G.
I understand, but like anyone else, I did my homeworks, tried some cab in store or with friends and the Mesa is responding to the sound I'm aiming for. ;)
I know there's other great cab around but Mesa is sold almot anywhere so easier to get.
I have my eyes on some Eden 4x10 but they are rare around here.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Yeah, Ampeg Xx10 cabs have a sound to them. I've never been able to dial in a tone I like on them. Something about the mids. It's a good day when you are confident in what you want.

·
Premium Member
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, Ampeg Xx10 cabs have a sound to them. I've never been able to dial in a tone I like on them. Something about the mids. It's a good day when you are confident in what you want.
I'm aiming for a tighter sound, less spongy and the ampeg seem to have that sponginess.
Not in a bad way if I was playing with a pick, the sound was great but since I'm playing fingerstyle it doesn't get where I wanted to.

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
oh for gods sakes try the Subway cabs. With the 12+15 cabs and my D800, I unintentionally drowned out a pretty loud metal rehearsal, with the volume about 1 o'clock on my D800. Some guys report running [email protected]'s with very good results. They're real light, well balanced, and the D800 has a hpf built in at 30HZ so you don't get that big woofy out of control bottom end, but still get a BIG! FIRM! bottom end. HIGHLY recommended. The Subway cabs are starting to show up used, again get your L&M to check the system, I know there are or were recently some used ones here in Edmonton.

·
Premium Member
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh for gods sakes try the Subway cabs. With the 12+15 cabs and my D800, I unintentionally drowned out a pretty loud metal rehearsal, with the volume about 1 o'clock on my D800. Some guys report running [email protected]'s with very good results. They're real light, well balanced, and the D800 has a hpf built in at 30HZ so you don't get that big woofy out of control bottom end, but still get a BIG! FIRM! bottom end. HIGHLY recommended. The Subway cabs are starting to show up used, again get your L&M to check the system, I know there are or were recently some used ones here in Edmonton.
The subway cabs are that good??
Damn, more options!!! :p

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I used to use a carbine m9 with a powerhouse 2x15 cab. Crazy tone, like ridiculous. If that isn't tight and low enough for you just give up. Im not huge on mesa guitar amps, but for bass its hard to beat em.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts