The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Prestige Guitars Canada !

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  robertkoa 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Canadians- I grew up in USA only about 10 miles from Canada and spent a lot of time there as a Kid...great People and Country.
And now I am very interested in the Prestige Semi Hollow Guitars from Vancouver especially the Musician Pro Single Cutaway and the Musician Double Cutaway which are Semi Hollows but extremely well thought out - 25.5" Scale and 20 Frets - placing the Neck Pickup in a warm , fat location on the Scale.
Made with Canada Woods and shipped to Korea for assembly and final QC and Electronics great hardware etc. back in Canada again to drastically lower prices.

Sounds like a Promo - haha but I am a Writer/Player really interested in a Long Scale very Resonant Guitar for a new type of R&B Fusion I have been developing for a long time...
I have a very Phatt Superstrat but these Semis probably go further.
Have any of you played or heard one of these " Live "?
I am hoping they are fatter sounding in Neck Position than a 335 and of course the 25.5" Scale will benefit what I am (finally!) doing.

I know these People really care about their Guitars and these Semis have Duncan Pickups- the same Pair I had on a Custom BC Rich long ago..and my favorite Neck Radius- 14" just like the heavy but phatt sounding solid Koa Superstrat I have now.

I don't hear enough Clean Tones to be sure..but can tell these do sound good.

I was told by Prestige that the Tones on both the above Models are very very close..I hear the Single Cutaway as a bit deeper BUT could be just the Amp/ Gain etc.

I don't use much distortion or Gain these days but I am an aggressive, Rhythmic Player- this will be the opposite of 'Smooth Jazz' in many ways.

I will be doing a lot of Recording especially in 2018 and I have spent a lot of Time in Studios..so the Tones really count.

Any experiences with these ?

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a Prestige Heritage Hollow, Transparent Red Quilted Maple

#4 ·
It sounds and plays as nice as any other guitar I have LOL. I know an old buddy of mine sold his Gibson Custom shops and bought two Prestige guitars, and he says they sound and play better than the Gibson's he sold. Customer service is excellent. I told them my 3 way switch was faulty and they sent one one out to me the next day.

#7 ·
Chito- that seems like a nice Guitar but I think probably better still with Humbuckers that also go into Parallel...

It does have a Classic Appearance.

I had a 347 long ago and similar to a 335 not sure on a Recording that you can actually hear the Semi Hollow effect- feels different when you play it but almost Les Paul on playback.

I feel that the ES 137 is where you hear the Hollow Part...but if it sounds good and feels good ..that's what counts.

What makes you prefer the Gibson's?
Deeper smokier Tones ?

#8 ·
...Made with Canada Woods and shipped to Korea for assembly and final QC and Electronics great hardware etc. back in Canada again to drastically lower prices...
Their marketing copy is a little over the top. Stripping away all of the BS, they are decent Korean guitars, fabricated and painted in one of the big Korean factories (Cort or Samick?), using wood from various countries (including Canada), and decent hardware.

#11 ·
No, my buddy picked up 2 spalted maples IIRC.

As you can see I have the slightly older Model with the vent strips where Gibson would put the switch
This thing sustains for days....

Guitar Musical instrument String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments

#13 · (Edited)
Thanks, I'm actually thinking of selling it. Definitely torn right now, I hardly play it. My jr., gets more playing time because of the bridge p90, and my Greco Ultrathin is hard to put down as well. LOL

For hardware, the tuners are Grovers 18:1, the bridge and tail are locking Tone Pros, ebony board, mother of pearl and abalone inlay and binding, Duncan pups are JB bridge and '59 neck (sh-1, sh-4) Tusq Nut

#14 ·
If you want a different tone out of the neck pickup, I would start by replacing said pickup. Generally speaking, a 25.5 guitar isn't going to sound as "warm" as a 24.75 scale guitar because of the string tension.
I agree but these Semi-hollows have 20 Fret Necks so the neck PU is in a very Phatt position.

Also they have fairly beefy 3 piece Mahogany necks and are about the size of a 335 but a slightly thicker Body.
I asked Kiesel( Carvin) if they might make a Production Model based on the Construction of their Holdsworth Guitar but larger so not top heavy and attach at 22 fret- call it the Fusion and cooler body shape...but not interested.

Then I asked how much to do an HF2 ( Holdsworth Model ) BUT 21 Frets for fatter tones and to negate neck heavy..expecting them to charge 300 to 500 extra..

They said too much engineering- seems like just cut the neck shorter and rout off three frets..

THEN about 2 weeks later I discovered the Prestige..online with only 20 Frets...even better.

Won't have the Fretwork like my Koa Bolt but may have even fatter Tones and different character..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.