The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got my PGK version of a 58 Les Paul Junior double cut. I paid the extra for genuine mahogany. Was hoping for a bit of figure but it is fairly plain. I have plans for that.
So, I took lots of pictures, but the SD card I put in my D90 didn't work for some reason. Let me take pictures but didn't record. By the time I realized I had gone through a few steps already.
So, the body was dyed with Color FX vintage cherry. I mixed it at double strength. 15ml for 250 distilled water. Sanded back to 180 and dyed again. Sanded back to 180. Then I took some of the dye I mixed and took a few big dollops of Brite Tone water based wood filler. It dries clears, but it is tintable. Mixed it up really well and filled the grain and sanded back to 180. Filled the grain a second time and sanded back to 180. Took about 1/2 of the vintage cherry dye already mixed and diluted with distilled water by about 25% by eye Dyed the body again. That is where I am at right now. The neck has been treated the same but has only made it to the second grain fill. It needs to be sanded back and stained to be caught up
DSC_0184.JPG
DSC_0188.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm debating on a layer of garnet shellac, or dye it dark red over the cherry. Or both. Final finish will be tinted Brite Tone instrument finish which is a water based topcoat.

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can always sand back

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, this is not the color I was hoping for. I wanted a much deeper red. I tried putting garnet shellac over the dye, all it did was turn the color darker brown/orange. I'm going for wine red but a little faded. So I am going to try to put Color Fx bordeaux dye over the brown. Not sure if that will work or not. If not I'll sand back and dye it Bordeaux. Or I may have to mix the cherry and Bordeaux to get the shade I am after. The funny thing is the orange looking stain on there right now looks like grenadine in the bottle but when it dries.... I really wish builders sent a wood sample with the guitar. Especially when you know it was CNC cut, there are chunks of wood useless to the builder that would be very useful to the buyer

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
One advantage of doing your own woodwork I guess.

Going dark red, I’d skip the garnet shellac. Likely need a very concentrated dye directly over the bare wood.

C19150C8-1A1F-4567-BB67-A6B229AEE604.jpeg

This pic isn’t doing the red justice, it looks more brown than it really is. But this one started off as deep mahogany (granted Honduran, not African). I ended up habing to mix some of the dye into the top coat as well.

You may need to spray a toner.

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I found the color I was going for. The bordeaux dye showed up today. You'll remember I tried a bit of shellac on the top pf the guitar so no matter what I tried tonight would have to be sanded back. But before doing that I wanted to answer a question that I could not find answered on YouTube. Can you layer water based dye? So I made a batch of the bordeaux at double strength 15ml to 250ml distilled water. And I dyed right over the vintage cherry. Turned out amazing. But not quite right. So I know the bordeaux can go over the dry vintage cherry. But the vintage cherry needs more red. So I sanded the sucker back to bare wood. Then I took my vintage cherry mix and diluted it to regular strength and then added about a teaspoon of regular cherry red. Used that as the dye for the base coat. Let it dry two hours and then dyed over top with the bordeaux. Nailed it!! I wish the camera could catch the color but the LED lighting messes with the digital camera. My next step is to grain fill with a bit of the new mix thrown in probably twice. Then I am going to dye my shellac and lay down some 1 pound cut layers. Then I will finish with tinted water based lacquer. Bright pic with flash, the other is led lighting
DSC_0192.JPG
DSC_0194.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't know the 19's were out yet, but yes the color is very similar. I'm hoping it will have a really cool effect with the red shellac and red lacquer over the red dye... Going for something like in this photo

cherry-red-double-cut-jr-025.jpg

Reactions: Dorian2 and Rozz

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does this look red to anyone? I'm wondering if my monitor is on the way out, because even this picture taken outside looks like the guitar is brown. When in fact, it is a very striking red.
I love my digital camera for the weight, but some colours just don't seem to photograph as well as an old film camera. Maybe because it is matte?
DSC_0197.JPG

Reactions: vadsy

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Damn, my Samsung takes better pictures than my nikon D90...

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to the Canada Post rotating strike I'm stuck with nothing to do on this guitar. Ready to spray the sanding sealer when it shows up. So I made a template to cut the plastic cover for the cavity cover. I may try a few materials if the template works well. By the way the PGK kit rear route is a bit smaller than stock so buying one off the shelf would not have fit properly. And I felt that spending 20 bucks for the proprietary cover was silly when I have a router table and access to a machine shop.
20181025_200120.jpg

Reactions: nnieman

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Thanks to the Canada Post rotating strike I'm stuck with nothing to do on this guitar. Ready to spray the sanding sealer when it shows up. So I made a template to cut the plastic cover for the cavity cover. I may try a few materials if the template works well. By the way the PGK kit rear route is a bit smaller than stock so buying one off the shelf would not have fit properly. And I felt that spending 20 bucks for the proprietary cover was silly when I have a router table and access to a machine shop. View attachment 229128
My last kit Phil sent me covers at no extra cost

1 - 20 of 38 Posts