The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nice P-bass, but my fingers miss the narrow 1.5" nut width of the cheap bass from my youth. Otherwise, I really like the Precision bass feel and sound, so I want to stick with that, but I'd really like an "A" width neck.

Unfortunately, Fender Custom Shop is out of my price range, and Squier is generally lower-quality than I'd like to go with. So I'm left with these options:
  • Some early 70's P-basses had "A" necks, so searching for an affordable vintage bass that fits the criteria is an option, but somewhat painstaking.
  • Fender Deluxe Precision Bass Special - MIM
  • "Cowpoke" bass - not really my cup of tea, and it just has active pickups. If active pickups are an option, that's okay, but I really want to be able to get the normal passive tone as well.
  • Lakland basses - These seem nice, but are pretty pricey. Their offshore line is an option, but I'd rather just go with the Fender MIM option at that price.
  • Anything else??
I'd love a 70's P-bass, but finding one with the right neck width has been problematic (seems I only come across them when I have no money!) Failing that, the MIM Fender Deluxe Special seems a viable option. Has anyone ever tried one? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Look for a USA made Peavey Fury. I have a 94 and it's basically a high performance precision bass. They can be had nice and cheap too; I paid $150 for mine and that's a decidedly average price.

The necks are pencil thin, but they don't move at all. Lots of cool features too, including an improved version of Fender's micro-tilt neck adjustment. Certain years had hardware produced by schaller. Just be sure to buy a late 80's or early 90's version; the earlier models were bulkier and had a standard p-bass neck width.

And just food for thought, but if you do go for the lakland, you'll have a bass that outperforms just about anything you listed, much higher quality than the mim fenders.

·
Premium Member
9,955 Posts
Is PJ ok? There's a US limited edition P that has the J neck P body and PJ setup, that there are still some available. Only comes in sunburst. I have one and it's great but you'll be north of $2K unless you find a used one.

L&M were carrying a non-active, PJ setup, P bass with Jazz neck, MIM, last year, I havent seen one locally in a few months but I bet there are still some around.

As far as a P only Fender P with slim neck, I haven't seen any in a while. If you're willing to go non Fender, there are tons of options.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll definitely have to give the Lakland more consideration than I was thinking.

Is PJ ok? There's a US limited edition P that has the J neck P body and PJ setup, that there are still some available
PJ is okay. The US limited edition bass You mentioned us just the kind of thing I'm talking about... I was not aware of that model. Not my favourite colour, but I could get over it. Any idea where one is available?

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apparently there's a few of those 2016 US PJ basses around, just not close to me. :) Thanks again for the tip, @keto !

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a similar issue as my hands are not huge. +1 on the Lakland basses, I have a skyline jazz and the neck is incredible. However, I got a big surprise when I stopped into a local music store a few years ago and tried a Squier Classic Vibe 60's reissue Precision bass. I played it for almost an hour in the store and couldn't believe the neck on it. It is one of the nicest necks I have played and certainly not the usual chunky p-bass neck. Needless to say it came home with me and I have never regretted it. They have discontinued that bass but if one comes up that you could try, I would definitely recommend it. The quality is excellent and I have not had the urge to change the pickup. They only came in two colours, fiesta red and sonic blue. I have the blue one.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I got lucky, I have very small hands and a missing digit, and I found this '66 P-bass with a 1.5" nut. For me, its just a bonus it has a Jazz PUP.
I did find a short scale Gibson bass so I don't play the P-bass much, but it has a truly magic neck.

Guitar String instrument Musical instrument Bass guitar Plucked string instruments
Fawn
Guitar String instrument Musical instrument Bass guitar Plucked string instruments
Fawn
Fawn

·
Premium Member
9,955 Posts
Oh, look for an Aerodyne Jazz if you want a really light and comfortable AND cool PJ bass, though it is a Jazz shape body. Excellent MIJ quality, good sounding pickups.

Stang Guitars locally Edm has the US limited P, and have had it longer than they'd like. I bet if you called they'd deal.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found this '66 P-bass with a 1.5" nut
Wow @capnjim that is a beaut! I didn't know they made them with an "A" neck way back in '66. Is it original? I presume the J pickup was added later? If you don't play it much and ever wanted it to go to a loving home, you let me know! :)

You could part one together. P-bass body and stuff, J-bass neck.
Yes, I've thought of that too. I've delved a little bit into parts guitars, but it's expensive and there is practically no resale value if it doesn't turn out as expected. But I might go that route too. My current P-bass is a "Fender Precision Plus" which has a 22-fret neck, so I can't even just put a regular Jazz neck on it. I'd need to find someone with a "Fender Jazz Plus" that would want to trade necks. Any takers? :)

Stang Guitars locally Edm has the US limited P, and have had it longer than they'd like. I bet if you called they'd deal.
After your last message @keto I went searching and the one at Stang was one of a few I had found online. Thanks for the tip about how long it's been there! ;)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I think Robert has the right idea.
You don't need to pine for the el-cheap-o bass you had as a kid to find a narrower neck.
The Jazz is narrower than the Precision.
In my opinion, the Jazz is also a better sounding and better looking bass as well.
My 2¢

·
Premium Member
13,423 Posts
I have a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass, that I bought barely used. $200. I rented a Geddy Lee sig bass for a couple of months once. The Squier was a pleasant surprise after playing something as nice as the Geddy Lee. But then I am only a minor bass player.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I think Robert has the right idea.
You don't need to pine for the el-cheap-o bass you had as a kid to find a narrower neck.
The Jazz is narrower than the Precision.
In my opinion, the Jazz is also a better sounding and better looking bass as well.
My 2¢
I've tried many times to be a jazz guy, I've owned lots and played even more. Jazz basses are great, and you can get pretty close to p-bass tone by soloing the neck pickup, but there's just an amazing feeling that comes along with playing a fantastic precision bass.

I may be a little biased, because I'm a p-bass guy at heart ;)

Also another thought occurred to me, G&L has lots of different neck options to choose from, any of your local G&L dealers should be able to order you an sb-1 or sb-2 with whatever neck option you choose; I can't remember what their "A" neck option is, but I think their jazz bass neck is option #8 iirc. The prices are good too, but more in the range of US Fender basses.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts