The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently picked up a K&K Pure Mini to install in one of my Yamaha dreads.

I'm curious what sort of preamps people are using with these and whether that's working out well or not.

I have a BBE Acoustimax standing by, but I haven't tested it yet. I believe the input impedance is around 2M-ohm as opposed to the 1M-ohm output of the K&K, but maybe that is close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.

Any feedback on preamps with the K&Ks?

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I used to own a guitar with a K&K pickup and it came with the K&K preamp. I found it very harsh sounding.

I decided to use the ART MP Studio mike preamp and it sounded much warmer. It is also much cheaper than the K&K.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,414 Posts
If you’re doing the install yourself a half inch step drill from CT makes a clean hole for the end pin just stick some masking tape on there when yer drilling so the finish don’t fragment. If you have a small vac cleaner with a narrow hose stick that against the end block while drilling and there won’t be any shavings to clean out. I’ve installed 4 of them no problem. Install one pad at a time like they say to and use a fresh set of latex gloves for each pad so that the glue don’t make a mess.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I decided to use the ART MP Studio mike preamp and it sounded much warmer. It is also much cheaper than the K&K.
I actually have a similar mic preamp kicking around unused - the Behringer Tube Ultragain MIC100. I looked up the input impedance and it's 1M. Thanks for the idea. I will definitely give that one a try too.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I have this K&K with the recommended XLR...
Used Pure Classsic and Pure Western in fact.

I kind of remember reading the Baggs DI could help, but also read it could not...
As I did not try that, I have no clear idea about other preamp.

I even sometimes forget the preamp since my Behringer 1800FX clavier amp has a preamp.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you’re doing the install yourself a half inch step drill from CT makes a clean hole for the end pin just stick some masking tape on there when yer drilling so the finish don’t fragment..
Thanks, that's very helpful.

How do you keep the guitars steady while you're drilling and gluing?

Just pin them down with your elbows, or did you use some kind of clamps or straps to secure it to the workbench?

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,414 Posts
Workbench is an ironing board ... lol

When drilling I just held on to it and the last two I had my left hand inside the sound hold as far as I could while pushing a small vac cleaner hose against the end block to get the drill shavings.

Green tape on the bridge is where I want the pads to line up under the saddle - one lines up with the high E and the other two line up between their respective strings E-A and D-G.

Before you start have a look inside with an inspection mirror at the bridge plate make sure there's no braces to get around - don't want to find out after you've glued it that the pad didn't get full contact because the wire was up against a brace.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I've recently picked up a K&K Pure Mini to install in one of my Yamaha dreads.

I'm curious what sort of preamps people are using with these and whether that's working out well or not.

I have a BBE Acoustimax standing by, but I haven't tested it yet. I believe the input impedance is around 2M-ohm as opposed to the 1M-ohm output of the K&K, but maybe that is close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.

Any feedback on preamps with the K&Ks?
Can I add a second question to this thread? Why did you choose the K&K Pure Mini?

I'm contemplating adding a p/u to my 12 string, and I had narrowed it down to the K&K PM, and the Fishman Infinity Matrix. I was leaning towards the Fishman.... it's more expensive, $220.00 at L&Mc, vs the K&K (shown above) at around $170.00, but the research I've done, the Fishman can handle louder volumes, bigger venues, and less sensitive to feedback. With all that, I kinda prefer the sound of the K&K. I also already own a K&K Pure XLR pre-amp. I bought it when I had a p/u installed into my resonator guitar. I can't for the life of me remember what Folkway installed. I think it was from K&K, but not sure. It was definitely a transducer. It's attached to the inner cone. Sounds very, very true! I've not had it in many scenarios, but it hasn't caused any feedback, but I've only used it live once or twice, and it was a very small venue, with a very small crowd.

Folkway isn't exactly "modern" with their record keeping, so I doubt they have it written down.... I've looked for the sales receipt, but so far, no luck. I'm guessing, if they "suggested" the K&K pre-amp, it was a K&K p/u.

Just curious what your needs are, and why you landed on the K&K?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can I add a second question to this thread? Why did you choose the K&K Pure Mini?
It's mostly just a chance to try something new.

I have a couple of guitars with under-saddle pickups already, and I'm really NOT a fan of that weird quacky nylon-ish sound that comes out of those. I'm willing to believe that some are better than others, but it seemed like the wrong direction, for me.

I'm accustomed to playing acoustic into a microphone, so I was searching for something that was as natural sounding as possible, on a budget that was reasonable for me.

I've already got a couple of sound-hole magnetic pickups (Fishman Neo-D in both single coil and humbucker configs), and they're ok for what they are, but again not really the sound I was chasing.

The K&K gets rave reviews, people go on and on about how natural it sounds, so I figured why not?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
There is a "pre-phase" you may add to help feedback issue with K&K : a switch that invert the signal phase.
How efficient it is ? I do not know.

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
I tried a few too many acoustic pickups before finding the K&K which I would say is very reasonably priced for the sound quality it delivers. I will also say that even though I had great luck with the LR Baggs Para DI using other pickups it did not get along with the K&K and I found the Red-Eye to be much more friendly and responsive.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts